• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SO19 officers arrested!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have some issues over the way that SO19 are deployed: <excessive use of duty of care>

However the arrests announced tonight just take the biscuit!

Am I the only person who thinks that "PC" has gone mad when it takes 6 years to find some new evidence? If these blokes were working within their ROE, how come it has come to this?

Someone will say better to be tried by 12 , than carried by six; but this is an arrest too far to my mind.

There are many ex army contributors to this forum, now with the "job", but what do the majority think about this??

Not one of those you refer to, but stories like this almost make me feel sympathetic to the idea that a risk assessment form (in triplicate) should be completed before the size tens leave the station door.

Surrey Plod claims new forensic evidence and interestingly the two officers in question have also been charged with "Attempting to Pervert the Courses of Justice".

Sometimes the size tens have to leave pretty damn pronto, there is not the time to fill in yet another bloody form for the REMFs. Ever tried filling in a RA form? When things are happening............very very quickly?
They're the most spineless, back covering, lack of bottle peice of aarse wipe I've ever had the misfortune to blatantly cut and paste.

The worrying thing is that we in the Army will be next.... ROE questions are already being circulated after the TELIC incidents :cry:

subbsonic said:
Am I the only person who thinks that "PC" has gone mad when it takes 6 years to find some new evidence?
New evidence that is older than 6 yrs has been used to put criminals away and release innocent from jail. So for the police to be bitching ......

SO19 went on unoffical strike over these 2 will they do that again ? if not why not ?

76mill said:
Sometimes the size tens have to leave pretty damn pronto, there is not the time to fill in yet another bloody form for the REMFs. Ever tried filling in a RA form? When things are happening............very very quickly?
They're the most spineless, back covering, lack of bottle peice of aarse wipe I've ever had the misfortune to blatantly cut and paste.

The major hazard isn't from any immediate operational threat. It's to the individual's subsequent career, marriage, pension and mental well being, from both the law and the press. If the threat of having all these things crash into a brick wall is demanded of every responder, in all the services, then he /she should be fully 'insured' by his/her service to wholly mitigate the effects. Idiocy like the incident recently where someone bled to death while the Police considered their options, this one, Pte Clegg, etc etc shouldn't be an issue beyond the first comprehensive inquiry.

(Then you get Col Collins and all the others operating in very lop-sided circumstances ...)

Something has always stunk about the way Harry Staneley was killed yards from his door, so what happened?

He stopped off on his way home for a pint in a pub, he was carrying a plastic bag with a table leg in it. A pub customer was suspicious and phoned the police saying an Irish man (Stanley was actually Scottish) had a sawn off shot gun in a plastic bag.
By the time the police caught up with him he was yards from his home, I understand he was also deaf and he was shot in the back according to some reports.
Hardly posing a threat was he?

We pay these arseoles to protect us and when they do a sloppy job they deserve what they get, however if they have tampered with evidence then it's pretty obvious they have something to hide.

E

error_unknown

Given that CO QLR is up for trial over something his boys (allegedly) did while he was miles away, presumably the Commissioner will be in the dock over this one!!

Hark-is that the sound of an umbrella being raised?

''We pay these arseoles to protect us and when they do a sloppy job they deserve what they get, however if they have tampered with evidence then it's pretty obvious they have something to hide.''

Hint of bitterness for some reason.

If you'd done your job, correctly in your view, and had to endure 6 years of wondering if youre going to jail, where as a copper youll be beaten, slashed, p1ssed on etc for the next 20 years.

whilst your wife has left you and have no chance of life on release,

all cos you'd done what was considered to be right.

bet you'd be a bit p1ssed off?

hogspawn said:
''We pay these arseoles to protect us and when they do a sloppy job they deserve what they get, however if they have tampered with evidence then it's pretty obvious they have something to hide.''

Hint of bitterness for some reason.

If you'd done your job, correctly in your view, and had to endure 6 years of wondering if youre going to jail, where as a copper youll be beaten, slashed, p1ssed on etc for the next 20 years.

whilst your wife has left you and have no chance of life on release,

all cos you'd done what was considered to be right.

bet you'd be a bit p1ssed off?
Not bitterness. I just think they did an appalling job, the bloke according to some reports was a"bit the worse for wear" after drinking in a pub, sadly there was only one witness to the shooting, did these two police officers really and truthfully believe their own lives were in danger?

Yes anybody would be more than p1ssed off banged up for something they didn't do, but if there has been tampering of evidence they should expect the full weight of the law even after 6 years.

Being an armed copper does not make you above the law!

He may have been a little P1ssed - but a p1ssed man with a shotgun is even more dangerous

he was suspected to have had a shotgun, a witness said (inaccurately) that they'd seen it.

He was waving the 'gun' around in the street.

There were more than 2 officers there, a lot more.

He pointed the 'gun' at one of them/one of the public.

how would you feel if he'd shot a member of the public instead - 'Bloody police did nothing to stop him!'

Bearing in mind we're all here, able to look in on a subject we don't have all the facts about.

Last judge they saw cleared them but included comment that there might be some script-writing in their evidence. The previous thread should be read in conjunction with this one. Suggestion in some papers that new evidence is that line of trajectory through skull did not tie in with their accounts. As case stood prior to arrests, it was going to add new dimension to any enquiry into troops shooting 'terrorists' as in, say, NI. If highly trained police officers could get it so wrong and still be 'innocent;, then what should we expect of poor old soldier?

If the two officers did make a tragic mistake, and God knows they probably did I think we would expect better from a unit like SO19 than a possible cover up.

As a youngster in NI in the early 1970's I came close to doing a "Cpl Clegg" myself so I have some sympathy with the officers if their story is to be believed, however if there has been a cover up then due justice must be done.

Gents, the one factor not mentioned yet is that very senior Met hierarchy are openly criticizing Surrey's rather hysterical actions in arresting them on suspicion of murder.

1. Senior officers do not criticize third party forces carrying out complaints investigations for the IPCC. They really don't.

2. Surrey obtained a High Court injunction to stop the accused officers of being informed of the nature of the new evidence they have found.

3. The murder thing is an insult. There is no evidence of "malice aforethought." I detect an excitable SIO somewhere.

4. This has gone political for some reason.

5. The impact for armed officers expected to shoot suspected "martyrdom operatives" on the say-so of a third party in, say, an OP can only be imagined.

6. This is no way to treat people six years after the event.

---

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark. None of us know all the facts, but two experienced SO19 operators would know full well the post-shooting ballistics assets available to investigators. If they've tampered with evidence then my view will change: thus far there seems to be no compelling evidence uncovered inthe past six years.

V!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads