So you've bought your first Lee Enfield...

Last Saturday i had the pleasure of meeting with Ugly of Arrse fame and purchased my first Lee Enfield. A lovely 1917 dated BSA SMLE MkIII.

Now its home and safely in its cabinet and I'm left wondering what to do next! Been (generously) given some clips and rounds so thats a start. Found a pull through in the Butt trap! Purchased a Surplus Bandolier on FleaBay because I'm sad like that.

So...

Errr....

Can I clean it with OX24? What should I do with the Wood? Oh god it's nothing like an L85!

Can the great minds of Arrse please come to my (and others) assistance with all the knowledge, hints and tips they have for looking after a little piece of history?

Last Saturday i had the pleasure of meeting with Ugly of Arrse fame and purchased my first Lee Enfield. A lovely 1917 dated BSA SMLE MkIII.

Now its home and safely in its cabinet and I'm left wondering what to do next! Been (generously) given some clips and rounds so thats a start. Found a pull through in the Butt trap! Purchased a Surplus Bandolier on FleaBay because I'm sad like that.

So...

Errr....

Can I clean it with OX24? What should I do with the Wood? Oh god it's nothing like an L85!

Can the great minds of Arrse please come to my (and others) assistance with all the knowledge, hints and tips they have for looking after a little piece of history?

Chisel the wood away from the metal and load up the wood burning stove.

HE117

LE
OX24 is a bore lubricant with a detergent and is fine for cleaning your SMLE.. I tend to use propriety bore cleaners like Napier bore cleaner.. this is more of a solvent than a lubricant and will remove fouling quicker than OX24... you need to finish off with a proper oil however..

The stock does not need much attention unless it is very distressed.. an occasional rub over with boiled linseed oil is the traditional finish, although nowadays I tend to use Renaissance wax, which is a museum grade preservation polish.

From your posting regarding ranges, it would appear we are reasonably local.. PM me if you want any further assistance.. (I also run reloading classes!)

ugly

LE
Apologies, not only failed as a host with brew offerings but I didnt lend him a copy of Skennertons Lee Enfield. Next time you drop by remind me and I'll lend one to you!

Apologises for the poorly made bed and mess.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Attachments

• 1419249977245.jpg
    1419249977245.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 932
  • 1419250005544.jpg
    1419250005544.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 869
  • 1419250030873.jpg
    1419250030873.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 838

ugly

LE
Sadly no longer as cheap as they used to be.

A sling and a sword bayonet are on the to purchase list!

Yes, if you want to make your life more difficult than it needs to be ;)

Any number of commercial bore solvents are a better bet though.

Apologies, not only failed as a host with brew offerings but I didnt lend him a copy of Skennertons Lee Enfield. Next time you drop by remind me and I'll lend one to you!
Not at all you were a perfect host and thank you for the offer.

Is it not just a lubricating oil and corrosion preventative?

Exactly.

Which is why if you want to make your life easier cleaning crud off of anything, you want something different.

Any brand names you recommend chaps?

HE117

LE
OX24 does actually have a surfactant ( detergent) in it, and is much better than the old plain OM gun oil..

But I agree - any commercial gun cleaner is quicker... whatever you gun shop has..!

Then I wouldn't buy it as i already have some and can get more for free!

Latest Threads