Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you go to the dump, and come back with stuff

TamH70

MIA
Thou shalt not plant tomatoes in me....

JB

Thou shalt plant sensi seeds instead, as those are much more lucrative in terms of their end-product.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
Grandad on my mums side was in ship building, and was quite handy around the house. When Granny died I inherited a black cabinet about three feet high that used to be used as a plant stand, but inside were boxes and boxes of screw, still in the original cardboard boxes. At the back were packets of loose screws that were sorted into sizes and carefully stored in paper bags wrapped with rubber bands. On each bag was a hand written note of the size and number.

Growing up we had a tin box of loose screws which were saved from old furniture, something gets broken you take it apart and save the bits you can use so in the future if you need a screw for something out comes the tin and you sort through it until you find what you need. I still do that, which explains why every so often I get directed to reduce stock to a manageable level....
I'm still waiting* to inherit my grandad's screw, nut, bolt washer collection. 2oz baccy tins in a hand made rack like a cassette cabinet. And my Dad's*, though he was more electrical. There's a biscuit tin of old thermionic valves somewhere..
* and long may it remain

ericferret

War Hero
A visit to the tip fail is bringing back more than you took.
The missus has achieved this on several occasions.
Now that they no longer sell stuff unlikely to happen again.
We had a number of brand new coffee makers over the years still in boxes and packing.
EBAY has helped to reduce this waste.
Cast iron pans was another favourite.
1930's vintage Klaxon in full working order was a star find..

As a young lad I scrounged a underwater spear gun from the local tip.
Thrown in with a lot of other rubbish, in those days you could look through the stuff before the pikey staff do these days. Playing cowboys & Indians as an 8 yr old got a bit more exciting after this and it shot out some 30 foot. My Mum went loony after I had speared my first friend with it.

Sod the friend, did your mum recover?

Was visiting my sister in law in Durham a while ago, and running a Transit she asked us to take some old radiators to the tip. Was stopped by the duty Stasi who, seeing the van, rejected it as commercial waste. I said "ok, I'll just fly tip it in the lay by down the road" to which the reply was "fine, but you're not dumping it here".
Just to clarify, I left it all in the van until we were home in Scotland, where the local tip operatives helped me unload it!

Local Authorities boil my pish, last year we were a friend was thinking of downsizing, so having a massive clear out of scrap, hired a sprinter, took two loads of scrap to the scrappie, no probs. Two old chest freezers were left, loaded them up and took them to the tip for correct disposal, skip nazi says, can't bring them here they're commercial, I said my friend says no there not they've just came out of my garage, skip nazi says they have locks, that's commercial. Upshot was they came back home and were recycled with a 9 inch angle grinder by my friend. My friend also informed me that the insulation burns in a spectacular fashion, he may even have piccies of it.

Other things that boil my pish are Councils removing bins from laybys and whining about littering, making recycling/visiting tip hard and whining about fly tipping, closing toilets and whining about shitting in bushes....

Boils my pish...

JB

chrismcd

Old-Salt
If you lived in Harrogate you'd get knack all. The tip Nazi's are convinced that once it's through the gates, it aquires the value of gold and must be protected at any cost. Normally by sticking it in the landfill skip and crushing it. The chances of someone else recycling and making use of it, is considerably more than their job's worth.
Very true, but there is some cracking stuff if you can smuggle it past the guards. I got a brand new wireless keyboard, that I stuffed up my jumper!

Local Authorities boil my pish, last year we were a friend was thinking of downsizing, so having a massive clear out of scrap, hired a sprinter, took two loads of scrap to the scrappie, no probs. Two old chest freezers were left, loaded them up and took them to the tip for correct disposal, skip nazi says, can't bring them here they're commercial, I said my friend says no there not they've just came out of my garage, skip nazi says they have locks, that's commercial. Upshot was they came back home and were recycled with a 9 inch angle grinder by my friend. My friend also informed me that the insulation burns in a spectacular fashion, he may even have piccies of it.

Other things that boil my pish are Councils removing bins from laybys and whining about littering, making recycling/visiting tip hard and whining about fly tipping, closing toilets and whining about shitting in bushes....

Boils my pish...

JB
Took some old broken up breeze blocks to the tip, around a large supermarket carrier bags worth. Asked the tip nazi where to dump it, was told it was rubble therefore can't be dumped. It has to be processed for the princely sum of 3 quid per bag. I've absolutely no idea why people fly tip.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Took some old broken up breeze blocks to the tip, around a large supermarket carrier bags worth. Asked the tip nazi where to dump it, was told it was rubble therefore can't be dumped. It has to be processed for the princely sum of 3 quid per bag. I've absolutely no idea why people fly tip.
My bold - because they're twats who'd rather somebody else cleared up their shit than did it themselves.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope, just twats.

We will probably just have to agree to disagree on this point.

I despise fly tipping as much as you, but unfortunately I see how it happens, it is, as ever, the law of unintended consequences.

Law abiding twat takes his legally produced rubbush and or rubble to designated disposal point provided by local authority that twat has paid for with ever increasing council tax. Twat is fücked off at the high port by bin nazi coz rulz innit, what is said twat now to do with the legally produced rubbish/rubble?

Carry it about on his back in ever increasing quantities until the twat finally expires under weight of rubbish, only to be fücked off from the crem by crem nazi, coz rulz innit.

Twat is then fly tipped together with accumulated rubbish, and so the miserable cycle continues....

JB

I'm still waiting* to inherit my grandad's screw, nut, bolt washer collection. 2oz baccy tins in a hand made rack like a cassette cabinet. And my Dad's*, though he was more electrical. There's a biscuit tin of old thermionic valves somewhere..
* and long may it remain
I inherited my Father in law's screw and bolt collection,you could say i'm fixed for anything.

Anyone got a couple of Chinese bike thread, pentagon head bolts about 17/64 dia. at least 2 inches long. I can cut to length.

Latest Threads