Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you go to the dump, and come back with stuff

In my time of going to the dump to chuck unwanted crap away I've sometimes come back with genuinely useful things, and sometimes stuff that I just wanted. Over the years I've come back with:

Stainless steel double walled cafetiere much like this ProCook Satin Stainless Steel Double Walled Cafetiere which looked like it had never been used. Much better than the glass ones, a number of which I've broken over time. After a bit of haggling with the dump site manager, it cost me £3 instead of what looks like north of £20 in the shops and it's done sterling service for a number of years.

Catch scratching post with dangly play things hanging of it which I got free from a family who were just about to chuck it away. Couple of quid for some new thick jute twine and the cat's happy as Larry scratching away at it, again for a number of years now.

Assault vest in DPM camo and a wooly pully with sergeant's stripes bought together, after a bit of haggling, for £10.00. The assault vest is in good nick though a bit faded with some minor scuff marks, whereas the wooly pully is in very good nick. Am I in the army, do I do airsoft, do I need them? No. The other half even asked what the f@ck did I buy them for. I just wanted them. Probably with the idea of selling each on ebay. Still got them years later and I'll probably still have them for a few more.

The dump sites usually have a shed which have bits like this in and it seems there's a bit of an industry in this. I've seen vans in our local dump being loaded up with what look like still useable or repairable stuff which I presume they sell on and the last time I was there, I was asked for and gave our broken Dyson vacuum cleaner to one of them.

Anybody else come back with stuff they just wanted or found useful?

Is this your wife?

indian-rag-picker-woman-searches-600w-1105724468.jpg

you are stig of the dump and I claim my £5

endure

GCM
You have to chuck your stuff into bins that the staff look after like hawks. No chance to nick anything

Paging @Kirkz. He's the site's resident skip rat! :-D

There used to be lucrative side line business for the guys working the sites, at the end of each week a four man shift could pocket £100+ each. Due to elf and safety and CCTV everywhere on site it was clamped down on. The thinking being that if a punter bought an item from the site and it was defective or dangerous the council would be held liable! Car boot sales do not have any such guidelines if it electrocutes you tuff shite,

ARRSE has its very own subject matter expert on these matters.

Calling @Kirkz

I used to have the back gate key to the local council tip, great for a bit of late night shopping .

The place is now high security and has its own shop, it would be easier to get out of North Korea than get a lawnmower out of there.

In my time of going to the dump to chuck unwanted crap away I've sometimes come back with genuinely useful things, and sometimes stuff that I just wanted. Over the years I've come back with:

Stainless steel double walled cafetiere much like this ProCook Satin Stainless Steel Double Walled Cafetiere which looked like it had never been used. Much better than the glass ones, a number of which I've broken over time. After a bit of haggling with the dump site manager, it cost me £3 instead of what looks like north of £20 in the shops and it's done sterling service for a number of years.

Catch scratching post with dangly play things hanging of it which I got free from a family who were just about to chuck it away. Couple of quid for some new thick jute twine and the cat's happy as Larry scratching away at it, again for a number of years now.

Assault vest in DPM camo and a wooly pully with sergeant's stripes bought together, after a bit of haggling, for £10.00. The assault vest is in good nick though a bit faded with some minor scuff marks, whereas the wooly pully is in very good nick. Am I in the army, do I do airsoft, do I need them? No. The other half even asked what the f@ck did I buy them for. I just wanted them. Probably with the idea of selling each on ebay. Still got them years later and I'll probably still have them for a few more.

The dump sites usually have a shed which have bits like this in and it seems there's a bit of an industry in this. I've seen vans in our local dump being loaded up with what look like still useable or repairable stuff which I presume they sell on and the last time I was there, I was asked for and gave our broken Dyson vacuum cleaner to one of them.

Anybody else come back with stuff they just wanted or found useful?
- A large mahogany coffee table (free)
- A four drawer brass bound campaign chest (£15)
- A Victorian fire surround and grate (free - from a skip).
- A Teak (not Acacia) 'steamer' style sun lounger (free)
- a gilt chandelier (£15 - and I rewired it).
- a Victorian vestibule door (free).

That's it for the moment

I'm pained to see it this morning across from me, but an infirm old guy had to give up his local authority home for secure housing. The son & daughter hired a skip last week, and are actively emptying the place.
A lot of tat naturally, but to see a mint 70's TEAC reel to reel plus his Nakamichi stuff getting soaked in the rain ( therefor likely written off by today from overnight torrents) was sad. Plus an extensive LP collection.
They are nasty people ( in fact utter cvnts) though so no point in "interrupting"

- A large mahogany coffee table (free)
- A four drawer brass bound campaign chest (£15)
- A Victorian fire surround and grate (free - from a skip).
- A Teak (not Acacia) 'steamer' style sun lounger (free)
- a gilt chandelier (£15 - and I rewired it).
- a Victorian vestibule door (free).

That's it for the moment

Blimey, you seem to have got some interesting stuff.

Vintage , i.e hand/mouth blown Italian demijohns.

The Americans pay $100 in the NX . I take them from the dump.
76E252A6-8701-4AC3-BBED-E6C705CA2940.jpeg

modern demijohns go for $45 .

F33BE52A-D42B-40B6-975B-54A88619E572.jpeg

Last edited:
HP LaserJet 4M Plus - Literally nothing wrong with it, 80% toner in it
Cordless Dyson - broken "trigger". Fixed, bought charger, sold on Facebook
IBM ThinkPad T43 - fitted an HDD to it, still have it, used for EOBD
Zyxel ADSL router - gave it to a mate.
Sealey 3 ton garage jack, big bugger - new seal kit & fluid. I had no room for it, so sold it for 70 bills

Various mowers, etc. A lot of the Honda 4 stroker stuff just needs the valve clearances done, and away they go again.

Blimey, you seem to have got some interesting stuff.
That's over a out a 20 year period. The campaign chest (3 drawer actually) was recent - from the little shop run by the guys at Elstree.
- we got a 4 drawer antique music chest from the tip near RAF Benson about 10 years ago too.
Here's the campaign chest. I think this is the top half, along with some cameras a colleague recently gave me. Not bad for £15 - perfect for the guest room
15817963767538896928471992917912.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads