So why do "worms" call themselves ASM and AQMS

we have a rech mech in our unit who claims that the retched mechs WO's are real AQMS and ASM's and that indeed the corps now have a "senior rech mech" who is in charge of all the said people regardless of what their respective ASM (capitals because they are real ASM's) say or think.
having read "Corps Regs" (boo hiss) i thought that these titles were courtesy titles and therefore not to be used out of the unit

is this

I believe the A is for Artisan not Artificer. Phone HQ DEME(A) or Rec Pl of your local REME Bn if you want a definitive answer.

Maj_Boothroyd said:
I believe the A is for Artisan not Artificer. Phone HQ DEME(A) or Rec Pl of your local REME Bn if you want a definitive answer.
These appointments date bate to before the formation of REME to when the RAOC was the main workshops (and supply) corps of the Army.

Two types of AQMS & ASM existed 'Armourer' & 'Artificer' Interesting to note that pre-1942 RAOC WO1 Sub-Conductors (became SSM's in 1967) could be appointed to Conductor RAOC but RSM, AQMS & ASM's could not!

In my time in the Army ASM's did not like Conductors to be WO i/c Stores Sections and preferred WO1 SSM's instead! "Say no more"

Historically this is why many REME Workshops have RLC Stores Platoons or Sections to this day!

Call me old fashioned, but after being an AQMS many moons ago....

the A is for 'Artificer' Quarter Master Sergeant, and as in Artificer Sergeant Major...

And I quote it from my glossy little red Army Discharge Book paperwork!

Moaning over. Out.

Back when I was Cfn with 94 Loc Regt RA, the WO i/c Stores Sect was a conductor. The ASM was cool with it, RSM wasn't so keen!

Maj_Boothroyd said:
Back when I was Cfn with 94 Loc Regt RA, the WO i/c Stores Sect was a conductor. The ASM was cool with it, RSM wasn't so keen!
Back when I was a Cfn with 94 Loc Regt RA, ASM stood for Automatic Sausage Muncher from the fat knackers habit of standing at the hot plate when on exercise and gobbling vast quantities of compo sausages.

Oops, guilty of that too!..... :twisted:

And what century was that then?

PTE_BOZZ said:
So what about the non spec, puntersthey shouldnt be called AQMS, just CSM
Things may have changed, as it were - but I thought that the ranks are WO 1 or 2, then ASM, RSM, CSM, BSM et al..... dependant of who, what and where...

How about this.
You should only hold the appt of ASM or AQMS when you fill that appt ie. ASM of an LAD or AQMS OF A REME wksp etc. All those REME WO1/2s that are at DLO and any other non command appts should only be titled by their rank. If one fills an appt eg. Bde Art then that is your appt regardless of rank (as we all know that most of those slots are rank ranged WO1/2 anyway). As with the Inf, and other teeth arms, you can be a WO2 but you only carry the appt of CSM or RQMS when you fill the appt, otherwise you are just a bog standard WO2, but it doesn't make you an inferior WO. As for the main debate the A is the abreviation for ARTIFICER, regardless of what it now says in DEME(A)s latest news letter. I feel an article to the Craftsman coming on.......

pitbull said:
How about this.
You should only hold the appt of ASM or AQMS when you fill that appt ie. ASM of an LAD or AQMS OF A REME wksp etc. All those REME WO1/2s that are at DLO and any other non command appts should only be titled by their rank. If one fills an appt eg. Bde Art then that is your appt regardless of rank (as we all know that most of those slots are rank ranged WO1/2 anyway). As with the Inf, and other teeth arms, you can be a WO2 but you only carry the appt of CSM or RQMS when you fill the appt, otherwise you are just a bog standard WO2, but it doesn't make you an inferior WO. As for the main debate the A is the abreviation for ARTIFICER, regardless of what it now says in DEME(A)s latest news letter. I feel an article to the Craftsman coming on.......
Thats about it. You hold the rank, but not the appointment unless you fill the post...

The appointments of AQMS and ASM are not just in LADs, REME Bns etc. The bods at DLO, DPA the various TATs etc are still WO Artificers and still performing the function of Artificers.

An ASM employed at Bde HQ is still an ASM, he's also a BArt. It ain't that difficult fellas!

The latest DEME(A) newsletter didn't create the 'courtesy' titles of Artisan Quarter Master Sergeant and Artisan Sergeant Major, they've been around longer than most of us.

Why reinvent the wheel? Surely REME Officers do enough of that without us getting involved???

Surely all Artificer Warrant Officers'who have the appointment by virtue of their technical training and competence, should be called AQMS or ASM.

I dont buy into this non appointment issue, all the WOs at DLO,DPA Div etc are all in appointments because of their social standing i.e,Artificers.

Youre not just a WO2, you wear a crown and laurel leaf you are a technical WO.

What on earth would the Comd(ES) call you? Sergeant Major to low an appointment ASM or Q is the answer.WO2 Bloggs can I speak to you about......doesnt have the right ring.

As for non Artificers then Artisan is the correct title Artisan Quartermaster Sergeant if you are a recovery mechanic WO2 for example.

Hope this provides the rationale.

Nige and Qmanwpns. Not a dig this but I've known people who have spent their time between SSgt Art (end of first tour) and ASM in DLO-type positions. First-hand (negative) experience of working with them in units before they left indicated that the reason they never came back to the regiments was because their performance whilst there was reflected in confidential reports which, of course, Glasgow see for posting purposes, see scratchpad....
Tiffs are, of course, only human but if a tiff shows little aptitude for first or second-line command and feels more comfortable in an admin role, then this should be reflected in some way shouldn't it?