So why cant I run any faster? (Or lose any weight!)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by EX_STAB, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Clearly the two could be connected although I don't think it's as simple as that.

I'm 6' 0" and 16 st 6lbs give or take a pound or two. Sometimes when I'm dehydrated I can be down to 16 St 2lbs but it's really neither here nor there. (Yes I know that gives me the same BMI as a walrus but I am fairly heavily built in the upper body)

I was this weight before I started my routine over twelve months ago and I still am. Even having ramped things up considerably over the past three months there's no difference. If I eat any less than I do now I find I just go flat when I'm out running etc. I eat fairly well, fresh meat (game), fish, veg, wholemeal bread, eggs, some rice. (I've always eaten like this)

I am of course a hell of a lot fitter. I ran five miles in under 50 mins a few weeks back, something I couldn't have dreamt of a while back.

Problem is, that's ten minute miles. On a three mile run average much the same, maybe 9:40 or something.

If I try to run faster I seem to just get knackered quicker and still take the same time overall.

I'm not a total, knacker, I've just finished an hour circuit training and although elements are a push it's not beyond me.

I can walk ten miles without noticing, row for an hour or more with no mither but I just cannot run any faster.

Even if there is no prospect of me getting back in I'd at least like to get to the fitness standard and run time and BMI are the only things I can see I'd fail on. (Might give the MO a coronary at the medical though! :cry: )

Any thoughts?

2. Because you are fat?

3. I'm led to believe that these are good for the runs:

[​IMG]

4. Have you tried doing sprints?

5. Yes, I tried this on the second 1.5 of my three mile the other day. The difference between the sprint and jog deteriorated after 3/4 mile or so and on average the time was the same as ususual!

Or did you mean just try sprinting and then, say, walking?

6. I used to do 2 miles in around 11 minute, not super but not bad either. I used to do my training runs with weights on ankles and wrists, and later with a pack on with weights in it.

Once you get used to running with the weights on, once you take them off for the evals, you will have a hell of a lot more energy.

Just make sure you cushion the weights properly and wear very padded running shoes so you don't hurt your knees/ankles from the impact.

Good luck.

7. Eat less!

8. Some of us are just carthorses, mate. Sad but true, that's why I ended up in machine-guns. Can't run to save myself, but can tab the planet with another one on my back.

9. Try running a set distance (say a kilometer to start with) at your usual pace, then stopping and letting your pulse go down for a few minutes, before running back to the start as fast as you can. Try and beat the time it took you to get there at least.

As you get better you can increase the distance you run. That should help you increase your speed.

10. Cut out the fried food and bring in ham salad sandwiches for lunch. Give up on the car and use your feet or a bicycle. Breakfast should be a couple of spoons of Waitrose Fruit Muesli.

For your evening meal switch to corned beef stew or vegie stew. It's easy, if you need to get the recipe PM me.

11. 1½ miles is a long sprint!
    What I was suggesting was that you try jogging for 100m, sprint for 100m, jog for 100m, sprint for 100m, etc.

In gerneral if you're focused on increasing your speed, you need to run fast. If you want to loose weight, then you need to run for longer at lower intensities. If you want to do both, I suggest that you mix up for runs,

Try googling fartlek for a different approach.

12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

To increase your speed you need to work on speed endurance which is pretty straightforward. The difficulty is getting out and doing it because it really is quite hard work. Personally, I do various distances on a track which ranges between 200m to 800m up to a maximum of 2.4km. This helps my BFT times as well as my longer runs. Best thing to do is do a web search and see what might be good for you. Failing that, join a local running club - really.

As for weight loss, always a nightmare and some will lose it quicker than others. I fall into the latter category and have given up watching the scales. Instead, I watch what I eat and just concentrate on getting fitter and stronger. I can see the results in the mirror and on my runs but it's just taking a bit longer than I thought! You can get really locked into losing weight and my advice is not to concentrate on it too much but just continue to train. It'll come off eventually.

13. Barring a medical condition you cannot be applying yourself to your nutrition as much as you'd think. Are you monitoring your calorie intake / portion sizes? Are you snacking alot in between meals? Are you drinking liquids that are high in calorie content?

Two things that are currently helping me shed the weight;

1) No refined starchy carbohydrates e.g. white rice / bread / pasta
    2) No eating after 6-7pm.

I also have my diet revolve around heavy endurance sessions to avoid that lethargy associated with poor pre-workout nutrition.

As passingbells mentioned, when it comes to improving my times for endurance running & the 1'5mile effort, I like to alternate running sessions with high intensity interval training, using the lamp-posts as markers so that every 50/100 metres I'm walking fast / running / sprinting - periodically having your heart rate exceed what it experiences during a typical monotonous run should condition your CV system to handle a consistent lower CV load with greater ease. Fartlek & circuit training are also good for this.

You should experience some degree of improvement if you're really applying yourself as your physiology has no choice but to adapt.

14. Ex-stab i suffer the same as yourself, i can run all day (well an hour and a half anyway) at a 12km/h but try and run much faster than a 16km/h for only 1.5 miles and i blowup ending with a shite time.

I'm similarly built at 6'4" and 16 - 17st, the more i train i just end up getting heavier and fitter but no quicker.

When i had more time on my hands i did a spell of fartlek (sp?) training mixed with bleep tests and got my 10km time down to 45mins normally 50mins, my next plan was to do the fartlek training on grass in studded boots to make it harder.

of course in my case it could be down to the large quantity of cola i drink slowing me down.

I_G

15. Go and get checked out by a physio, I had the same problem 90 press ups, 70 situps in two minutes, abysmal 11.30 run.

I ran twice a day did circuits, spinning boxercise. I just could not break 11.30. I lost 15 pounds of weight and my CV was excellent. Then I got a ITB injury which needed checking out. Went to the physio, after the check up he told me without prompting that I was a slow runner. He found that my hamstrings were too tight. He then said I will get lower back pain and had me downgraded on the spot. The back pain started and now I am on 6 months rehab before I can even think about running again.

You really need to get checked out as I found out to my cost that the smallest injury through overtraining can cost you time on a run. Technique, training and getting good expert advice will help you.

I know how you feel as I was pretty fit, felt fit just could not run. All due to a stupid muscoskeletal injury.

Good luck and dont give up!

Armadillo