So who is 'working' from home?

To anyone suddenly working from home, I'd suggest making sure you have a telly and hifi in your home office, and your own computer as well as any work supplied one

That way life can carry on without being interrupted by work too much

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
WFH not an option at the moment but we are now looking at it.
H&S get very jittery if we work solo as it technically breaks a few laws, hence we have to check in hourly
Or we get called on our mobile at random times during the day.

Journey today was very quite, normally leave at 0700 now its more like 0800.

Stay safe people.

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Oh yes Wife well impressed if I "work" from home.
Nookie during the day is so over rated these days.

To anyone suddenly working from home, I'd suggest making sure you have a telly and hifi in your home office, and your own computer as well as any work supplied one

That way life can carry on without being interrupted by work too much
Yep, two laptops, mine and works, with the works one getting the mouse moved occasionally to keep me logged into the firms VPN.

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Yep, two laptops, mine and works, with the works one getting the mouse moved occasionally to keep me logged into the firms VPN.
We are finding clients are having problems connecting to their companies networks.
This is due to you broadband/fiber provider as some networks not configured to large numbers of users logging on. I know of one Surrey BT exchange is about to go down due to overloaded system & to many users on it.

At work your pc connected to a fast router & switch and then the mainframe will be high end equipment mostly Cisco, sadly those working from home are overloading the local exchanges & then getting on remotely to their work network will be slower.

Currently our customers are ordering upgraded servers/switches and also hi end kit for the WFH brigade.
It will get worse as the whole of the UK work from home.

No good news apart from upgrading the local exchanges which is not happening at the moment.
BT are nearly as bad a Crapita on the paperwork & getting things sorted out, sadly!

Mrs O_Bs big big boss is a Canadian Lt General.

Put out an e-mail today stating that you start work at the same time , respect normal working practices including wearing the same clothing as normal for work. No PJs , quite a decent idea I think.

Good for the mental aspect of working at home.
Nope, we work hard all our fecking life, governed by rules and expectations written up by others - and then die. Now some Biff wants to influence what you do at home?

If there's a chance to work in a relaxed comfy way, without the bolloxs of land line phone calls and other tw@ts getting in the way, hogging the printers and or just being moany , whiny prats , then take it and rejoice.

I already work from home whenever possible, maybe 2 -3 days per week e.g do a few surveys, write up the reports - send to clients along with quotes - and a fair bit of it is for external works so hopefully there won't be too many properties that i knock on and they answer with ' Oh, I'm self isolating at the moment '

I'll wear shorts and Tee Shirts at home as usually I'm in the expected 'smart casual' gig of shirt, trousers and shoes including safety footwear

I'm still up at 6am and often work beyond 5pm if it suits me.

Last week we were told to organise into two teams, which would come in to the office on alternate days.
On Sunday we were all instructed to remain away unless it is important.
Thank god I have a couple of "important" things to go in for tomorrow (my team's "in" day).
Being at home all day today felt strange....

Last edited:

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
No cancelled contracts as yet and I have sufficient work for the next 6 weeks.

However, I'm due down at Culdrose next week for 3 days, and then some work for a large steel company, both of which may need to be postponed. Then there's a UOR at Waddington and a trip to Marham in the offing.

Still SWMBO has been pestering me to take some time off so a couple of weeks holiday won't hurt.
Venice is really cheap.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
I send a email to myself every 20 mins.
Can't log on to compamy site.

No thanks, one womble on my street is bad enough! :D
I reckon there's a strong case for all Highways England to be accomodated in tents on roundabouts on the nation's motorways.

Then you could work from home.

Just boot a few traffic cones around every day...sorted ')

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
I reckon there's a strong case for all Highways England to be accomodated in tents on roundabouts on the nation's motorways.

Then you could work from home.

Just boot a few traffic cones around every day...sorted ')
Stop the traffic for no reason

I can't work from home, I haven't got a motorway in my living room! ;)
Plenty of fresh air and empty roads. Try not to snore too loudly when you're parked up in those POPs, don't want to scare the sheep now, do you?

Edit: mind you, I reckon you'll be dealing with some weapons grade mongs this next few weeks. Worse than the normal crop you "enjoy" meeting.

I've been self isolating today, out single crewed parked on an observation platform with Netflix on. ;)

Latest Threads