So who is 'working' from home?

Relax into it - I started WFH about this time last year. My boss took one look at our very new and plush but dinky office and said "Feck this, you can work from home lads." I reckon I'm more productive and a lot less daily stress without a commute.

It is a bit of an attitude change that will take me a while I think

More than a little surprised when the Chief Exec, the Head of Operations (and even the factory manager) were all quite firm that they actually wanted me to work at home and stay out of the factory.
Still not certain if its out of concern for my health or simply because they think I'll bring the plague to the remaining workforce.....

There are elements of my job that the law requires that I am certain we have complied with.
The DVSA have relaxed some of the rules for the duration but I still have obligations that I must comply with
I'm managing them by rocking up in the early hours once a week while there is nobody there and running through the paperwork

Daughter works for the Mirror Group in London. She went into the office yesterday with a wheely suitcase to pick up 2 flatscreen monitors to take home to set up her home office. She forgot to take a webcam then discovered she couldn't get one on the likes of Amazon - all out of stock. Oh the humanity?
Told two weeks ago on Friday , it’s home work until further notice. Any questions?

Yes can we take monitors home to work.

NO.

This Monday , e-mail “You can take monitors home to work”.

Cunt , we are on lock down , how can we get to work to get the monitors. ?

I'm not long out, and my job hunting opportunities have kinda slowed down due to all the palaver, so I'm just kinda spending my time pootling around the house and gaming, living nicely on my pension. However, the missus is now working from home and she's sitting on the other sofa, huffing and puffing at her laptop and conference calling like feck. I've come to realise she's a bit of a kiss arse.....and I can't abide a kiss arse. This needs to blow over so she can fuck off back to her office!

I'm furloughed for at least six weeks and have been reminded by my boss that I am not allowed to work while on furlough :)
It's a requirement to get funding from the government, so relax and have a drink

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Work & Home not really in my job spec.
But as 99% are i'm joining forces from COP today.

As yesterday took someone only 2.5hrs to reply to an urgent email.
Seems they were busy, yes that grass needs cutting!

Well the memsahib is well adjusted, seeing as she told me last year she was taking early retirement after 28 years maternity leave she has had her weekday activities sorted out. Bit of a rush a couple of days ago when a man who does prime minister impressions told us all beauty type businesses were to close and I casually asked her "weren't you going to get your nails done next week...?" but a quick phone call and she managed to get a last minute appointment.

As for me, well apart from a couple of hours in the office on Wednesday afternoon I have been WFH for a week now. I have two networks I normally access, one I can get to from home and the other I can't so work has been limited to the network I can access. My cross to bear is the fact that I only have access to my laptop and one additional screen (I normally have two big screens} but that gives me another big screen I can use with my home desktop. Not that I need to look at much, but WFH has given me the opportunity to catch up with listening to all the Goons Shows I have recordings of.

I have a bet that it will take most of my engineers quite a while before they notice I am not in the office, for one thing with my work network connection if they ring my desk phone it gets directed to my laptop, and the second is that they never come looking for me until forced to or need to get a document issued and they haven't got the Safety Engineer to tick his box....

The dog continues to be confused and now follows me everywhere, he's not used to me being in the house all day.

Heard late last nigh that Kabul will close down tonight. We have been under virtual isolation for a couple of weeks anyway in the compound here as most of the expats evacuated over a week ago. Our ops room is only 20 metres from my pit anyway so its no big deal. Going out is a PITA as it involves filling in journey management formats, safety and security briefings, a minimum of 2 armoured SUV with drivers and 2 armed bodyguards. The bodyguards or PPO's as they like to be known are ex Croatian SF and bloody good lads who have occasional access to the RS camp which has a supply of rather a nice vodka. I have just started another 20 litres of red wine from the kits I brought over from UK. This one is Carafe 21 which comes as a concentrate in unmarked 1 L translucent plastic bottles.

Kabul Customs officer, "What's the dark liquid in those plastic bottles?"

Self, "special oil for the toluate component of our caesium decay mobile phlegmatic compressor, it's highly toxic, so we can only bring in 3 bottles at a time "

KCO, Ah. Have a nice day

As I am in an at risk group, sent home for 12 weeks, gonna be a boring 3 months, normally I go out and about in my free time, but all the local good museums are also closed, especially IWM Duxford :(
FFS plenty from them on U tube. Plus Pathe. BIL has been told to self Isolate cos he's got underlyings. I've just orderd some parts for the P5 which is on site and I can fix, Also some Parts for me loco's. I'm toying to try and make a MK 11 chassis for me Johnson and finally get it running. I also need to get leccy in the Garage.

Question for you electricians, the original shed cum lean to had a power connection which was HD cable but must be about forty years old. Still seems in good condition. It is however Not colour coded but has the numbers 1 2 and 3 on the interior sheathing. Am I right in thinking that 1 is live,2is common and 3 is earth or can it be in any combination so long as it's connected the right way. I can't get it out as it's largely under concrete and would have to drill another hole through the Brickwork of the garage which I don't want to do.

FFS plenty from them on U tube. Plus Pathe. BIL has been told to self Isolate cos he's got underlyings. I've just orderd some parts for the P5 which is on site and I can fix, Also some Parts for me loco's. I'm toying to try and make a MK 11 chassis for me Johnson and finally get it running. I also need to get leccy in the Garage.

Question for you electricians, the original shed cum lean to had a power connection which was HD cable but must be about forty years old. Still seems in good condition. It is however Not colour coded but has the numbers 1 2 and 3 on the interior sheathing. Am I right in thinking that 1 is live,2is common and 3 is earth or can it be in any combination so long as it's connected the right way. I can't get it out as it's largely under concrete and would have to drill another hole through the Brickwork of the garage which I don't want to do.
@Joshua Slocum

It doesn't matter as long as both ends match. Shed.1-L-1.dist, 2-N-2, 3-E-3. You'll be fine...

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
yes sounds about right, but you must also earth the steel wire armour, it should have a gland on it
unless the cable has been over loaded it should be ok
what size is the cable ( written on the sides)
also you will need a garage consumer unit to break down the circuits into lighting and power
even though it is an existing cable, it requires testing and inspection and notification to planning
get a sparkie to check it over and make the final connections at the main consumer unit
and to check polarity
and the Ze
and the rating of the fuse for the cable

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am busy cleaning my garage workshop
getting it ready for when Grenfell is finished so that I can move my car out
fixing the motorbike
sorting all of my stock
and i have 100 feet of fencing and posts on order, I reckon thats a weeks work if I drag it out
plus some decorating, if I cannot escape
sorted

Latest Threads