So who is 'working' from home?

Ditto

Was going to travel north to see my sister but she's in an at risk group and I've got a shitty cough....which I've had some time. Boxed sets it is.
Beautiful spring day here, so planning a longish cycle in the Ochils when it warms up a bit.

Most SV tech companies (among others) are throwing 2 to 3k USD at employees to buy whatever kit (monitors, desk, chair etc) they need to stay at home to make their atmosphere comfy for home working.

Was talking to an ex-colleague at my old London work place, they have sent most of the 3000 people who work there home, with just a skeleton staff manning some key functions.
We all have a decent Laptop from work and if you have a decent internet connection it works fine. Unless the McAfee virus fails and needs to up date or you need to download yet another patch and restart windows.

Were told one week ago at this time to work from home , Checking all your databases, excel spread sheets, correct all the documents in you area of operation.

Any questions?

“Yes, can we take home large monitors, mice and keyboards as with the tiny screen on the laptop doing any of those tasks will be a pain in the arrse and take much longer”?

No.

Yesterday the big boss said , yes you can take said items home.

Shame he does not realize most of us are stuck as the lockdown says you cannot go to your place of work.

Horse door bolted , yet again.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
I have long sought a role I can do from home, because it would be something I could do for multiple employers/customers.

Electronics/Communication Engineering calculations

Research of open source information

Writing reports, manuals, instructions, promotional material

Technical advice such as explaining things to non technical types

That sort of thing. I used to know a former Railway signalling Engineer who started a consultancy whilst doing a MEng as a mature student, and now his full time consultancy does work for clients all over the World.

Most SV tech companies (among others) are throwing 2 to 3k USD at employees to buy whatever kit (monitors, desk, chair etc) they need to stay at home to make their atmosphere comfy for home working.

Was talking to an ex-colleague at my old London work place, they have sent most of the 3000 people who work there home, with just a skeleton staff manning some key functions.
Daughter works for the Mirror Group in London. She went into the office yesterday with a wheely suitcase to pick up 2 flatscreen monitors to take home to set up her home office. She forgot to take a webcam then discovered she couldn't get one on the likes of Amazon - all out of stock. Oh the humanity?

Beautiful spring day here, so planning a longish cycle in the Ochils when it warms up a bit.
Jealous of that. Working today and the weekend. On Monday I'll get the treader out but nothing here to match Scotland for hills, not that I can walk far now anyhoo - something I really miss.

Daughter works for the Mirror Group in London. She went into the office yesterday with a wheely suitcase to pick up 2 flatscreen monitors to take home to set up her home office. She forgot to take a webcam then discovered she couldn't get one on the likes of Amazon - all out of stock. Oh the humanity?
Message me and I'll test one then send it off.

Message me and I'll test one then send it off.
Thanks for the kind offer but she sourced one locally this morning. Don't ask me how, she mentioned a website I've never heard of before! Schpook or Schpock or some such name.

Ours changed all the user names and passwords over the weekend as a "security" measure, it definitely worked to secure the system, seeing as they failed to inform anyone as to the change and as to what their new user names and passwords were ….twats
Could be a sign....At a previous company I worked for, all the passwords and user names were changed overnight on a Thursday. Come the following morning no-one could log in. The Administrators arrived soon afterwards and we were sent home.... just saying.

daz

LE
Could be a sign....At a previous company I worked for, all the passwords and user names were changed overnight on a Thursday. Come the following morning no-one could log in. The Administrators arrived soon afterwards and we were sent home.... just saying.
Not in this case, the IT department are muppets, hence declining their request to make sure our shared drive could be accessed remotely by the office staff - they would of deleted all the data, broke the link, or most likely both due to incompetence

I used to like setting the password restrictions to:

1. Valid for one week only.
2. Cannot use the same password for one year.
3. Must have 28 characters , letters , number and symbols.

Until the OC had a wobbly.

I'd have left a little present in your C drive I think.

I will be from Tuesday. Irritatingly people can see what I upload onto the shared team cloud drive thing so I might actually have to be awake before 11am.

cymraeg

On ROPS
On ROPs
Boss got a cob on when I asked if i could download train sim and stay home. Think he is under a little pressure

New unit VM WO2. So you can be in charge of the LAD website as you're a tech.
Me. What the fook do I know about websites.
WO2. I will get you a course.
(10 minutes later) you start Monday in STC Senne for two weeks..

Internet security course.

So boss here is what I learnt or do I forget it..
WO2 Fuck off. Oh and you are LAD senior next week

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
it would be hard for me to work from home , im a burglar

Further to my post #149, I can confirm that the mouse jiggler I did not order, did not arrive today and I did not plug it into the works laptop to make it look like I was working on it all day. I also did not surf the net all day on the laptop I'm posting this message on, nor did I occasionally glance across at the works laptop in case any emails had landed, which thankfully they didn't. No. No indeed.

The mouse jiggler may be the best thing I definitely have not purchased. I am also not a bone-idle, skiving wastrel.

I've been working at home for the last week or so.
Did feel as if it was a bit like skyving but actually I've been as busy as usual but instead of the desk phone and mobile ringing at the same time, call just stack up on the mobile.

Feel a bit guilty leaving my deputies to deal with the shit bits in the two depots but I think they actually prefer not having me looking over their shoulders.

Several conference calls a day

The day after I started working at home I came down with a heavy cold. I'm also in an at risk group
I genuinely think he majority at work had me written off as the first to die. Everytime I cough on a conference call I get a flurry of concerned responses.
The only ones who don't are my two deputies who find it highly amusing (much to the annoyance of the grown ups who think it inappropriate)

The other concern is that we at a pivotal point in the company I work for, times are hard and business is complicated by Kung Flu, its not a great time to be working at a distance from the heart of it.

After a week in the spare room the wife has threatened to move back in to the same room as me tomorrow......

I've been working at home for the last week or so.
Did feel as if it was a bit like skyving but actually I've been as busy as usual but instead of the desk phone and mobile ringing at the same time, call just stack up on the mobile.

Feel a bit guilty leaving my deputies to deal with the shit bits in the two depots but I think they actually prefer not having me looking over their shoulders.

Several conference calls a day

The day after I started working at home I came down with a heavy cold. I'm also in an at risk group
I genuinely think he majority at work had me written off as the first to die. Everytime I cough on a conference call I get a flurry of concerned responses.
The only ones who don't are my two deputies who find it highly amusing (much to the annoyance of the grown ups who think it inappropriate)

The other concern is that we at a pivotal point in the company I work for, times are hard and business is complicated by Kung Flu, its not a great time to be working at a distance from the heart of it.

After a week in the spare room the wife has threatened to move back in to the same room as me tomorrow......
Relax into it - I started WFH about this time last year. My boss took one look at our very new and plush but dinky office and said "Feck this, you can work from home lads." I reckon I'm more productive and a lot less daily stress without a commute.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
endure COVID-19 23
endure COVID-19 65
dockers Military History and Militaria 34

Latest Threads