So who is this?

Well the top pic is Richard Todd in The Dambusters, I assume the middle pic is on Guy Gibbson VC. The bronze bust looks like it is of Richard Todd

ugly

LE
Richard Todd was a regular guest at Shrewsbury depot passing out parades, ex OBLI!

The bust looks more like Richard Todd than Guy Gibson.

The top pic looks more like Humphrey Bogart than the Toddster.

Gremlin said:
Iscoed said:
ugly said:
Richard Todd was a regular guest at Shrewsbury depot passing out parades, ex OBLI!
Thought he was ex Para....?
About time that you studied your WWII history a bit more then!
Perhaps so - so why has he been photographed wearing the Tie worn by ex-Arnhem vets...as in The Parachute Regiment one ? Surely ,he isn't a Walt ?

...and Yes - I saw the Film,& didn't confuse him with John Frost...

IndianaDel said:
ugly said:
So his role wasin the film 'The Longest day', is VERY apt?
Old "Hold until relieved" Todd, Hey?
So apt that he was offered the chance to play himself in the film, but could not face it!

According to an interview with him a few years ago, in the final sceen of The Dambusters he actually had a whole field of dust in his eyes, walking off into the distance, as he could remember writing similar letters after D-Day!

Iscoed said:
Gremlin said:
Iscoed said:
ugly said:
Perhaps so - so why has he been photographed wearing the Tie worn by ex-Arnhem vets...as in The Parachute Regiment one ? Surely ,he isn't a Walt ?

Because he WAS an Arnhem Vet, check out the history of the OBLI( Ox & Bucks) it makes fascinating reading, as does Toddy's war career!

PS I am not having a pop at you cydweithiwr, it is just that everyone that dropped/gliddered in was not in the paras, a lot were LI!

PPS Johnny Frost was played by Antony Hopkins! :p :D

Gremlin said:
Iscoed said:
Gremlin said:
Iscoed said:
ugly said:

Because he WAS an Arnhem Vet, check out the history of the OBLI( Ox & Bucks) it makes fascinating reading, as does Toddy's war career!

PS I am not having a pop at you cydweithiwr, it is just that everyone that dropped/gliddered in was not in the paras, a lot were LI!

PPS Johnny Frost was played by Antony Hopkins! :p :D
Ahhh - OBLI = Ox & Bucks... :D Understood & thanks.

Yes - Hopkins - from Port Albert I believe.. :)

:?
Gremlin said:
Actually there is an interesting conflict of facts going on here:

Todd was definately 7 PARA (LI) but:

Ugly (usually accurate source of LI things) has him as OBLI

Several internet sources quote him to be KOLI (Yorks)

The MoD Website claims that he was SomLI :
http://www.army.mod.uk/lightinfantry/history_traditions/county_regiments/somli.htm

which makes sense as his family had moved to Devon and he went to Shrewsbury.

So which was it?
There is a similarity between OBLI and SomLI cap badges...and I for one, NEVER believe the blurb issued by MOD...they couldn't even spell correctly,the last 'offering' I was given.. :?

KOYLI's rings a faint bell - but more in favour of OBLI,as many of those brave lads joined the Paras later,I believe.

I shall make a call - in the morning - and try to resolve this little niggle.

Yes - 7Para. Watch this space...& yes,I am cydweithiwr :p

Latest Threads