So, when is Army 2020 being announced?

It keep getting delayed. Is there a definite date yet? Will the new structure purely be to reorganise the Army around the new number of soldiers, or will it have money saving aspects of its own? Is the money that is to be saved going to come primarily from the number of soldiers who have been made redundant, as a sort of one off saving, or is the new structure going to be cheaper to run entirely? How?

The MoD are waiting to see if any more ideas (uniform, equipment, training levels, etc) are thrown up by the thread 'African infantryman of the year'. Then they will incorporate the cheapest and most stupid ideas into the New Army.

The MoD are waiting to see if any more ideas (uniform, equipment, training levels, etc) are thrown up by the thread 'African infantryman of the year'. Then they will incorporate the cheapest and most stupid ideas into the New Army.
Trooping the Colour on rollerskates?

It's traditional to announce bad/controversial news just before the Parliamentary Recess so my guess would be 17 July.

I have been told by RHQ RTR that Thursday 5th July is the day. They told me that they are 95% certain

I would bet a significant amount of somebody else's money on this Thursday (05 Jul), nobody has told me this and I have no inside information, I just feel it in my water :)

So when is Army 2020 being announced?

Well, given that we were issued with the SA80 in 1991 and CS95 in 2000, I wouldn't fret about leaving space on this year's year planner.

I also heard 5 Jul from a mucker in MB. A lot of people knock the politicians for being nancy boys who refuse to grasp the nettle but I suspect many are actually quite keen to show that they are not afraid of making "difficult decisions" and I don't expect these rhino skinned wallies feel too sensitive about when the announcement is made. What we fail to realise is that while the loss of 350 years of purple hackles in the 1st Bn the Loamshires matters a great deal to us, the general public don't really give a f**k. They look at it with mild disinterest, and then, in the words of Gen Lamb, turn the telly over to Corrie and wonder if it's chips for tea tonight.

I heard you were being disbanded.

Willing and suitable applicants could apply to the Royal Marines for a life aboard the grey funnel line... although the SBS said something about the SAS and Paras being hats... so need not apply.

On the 20th hour of the 20th day of the 20th month in a galaxy far, far away

I heard it straight from the top (of the Army) that the politicians are due to make there announcements in this coming week (2-6 July). Trouble is he immediately followed up with a dit that we've been this close before and it's subsequently been delayed so who knows.

Mind you, haven't read the Sunday Torygraph yet and they usually have the scoop on military news first so I'm heading there now.

MH.

Actually think am nearer the truth with the timing, considering politicians are involved