• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

So what's this about keeping your kit at home?

Alright, I expect to sound like a Walt or an airsofter here, but this is a genuine question I've got.

I've heard quite a bit on Arrse and elsewhere about Reservists keeping their non-sensitive gear at home; basically anything that isn't pyrotechnics and etc.

Now, how the hell does this work? I'm a clumsy cnut and therefore I'll probably end up breaking or losing a great deal of it. Not only that, but surely it look a bit suspicious if you're on your bike/car/the bus/the train/powered go-kart on the way to the Reserve unit thickly coated in webbing with a GSR slung around your waist?

Alright, I expect to sound like a Walt or an airsofter here, but this is a genuine question I've got.

I've heard quite a bit on Arrse and elsewhere about Reservists keeping their non-sensitive gear at home; basically anything that isn't pyrotechnics and etc.

Now, how the hell does this work? I'm a clumsy cnut and therefore I'll probably end up breaking or losing a great deal of it. Not only that, but surely it look a bit suspicious if you're on your bike/car/the bus/the train/powered go-kart on the way to the Reserve unit thickly coated in webbing with a GSR slung around your waist?
You make a good point, because regular soldiers haven’t been doing it for years have they?

I used to find jumping on the No9 bus in 3R was a bit embarrassing to begin with, but you eventually get used to the stares.

You make a good point, because regular soldiers haven’t been doing it for years have they?
When I made this post I was under the assumption that kit would be kept at home, not just uniforms. Uniforms on public transit don't warrant suspicion, but someone wearing full rig (may) do.

Or, you know, it's an airsofter... which in and of itself warrants some suspicion,

Clothing and webbing -(which meant we could ensure everything fitted and was comfy.) Everything else we were issued as required when we rocked up at wherever it was we had to be. You will not be taking exciting things home and what you do take, will not be breakable

Last edited:
I used to find jumping on the No9 bus in 3R was a bit embarrassing to begin with, but you eventually get used to the stares.[/QUOTE]

Uuuum yes, I can imagine the stares as you jumped on the No9!

I prefer when I was posted to Germany and the look of the X-Ray technician's face when he saw my S10 in my carry on luggage

Good thing it's nothing exciting, and yeah I'm fairly sure I won't be breaking any PLCE webbing any time soon, especially since most of the PLCE webbing I've seen seems to predate the New Model Army...

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Walking down the street it seems every man and his dog is dressed in some form of military get up so the odd show of a 'Proper' military person is hardly going to show up too much. :cool:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I prefer when I was posted to Germany and the look of the X-Ray technician's face when he saw my S10 in my carry on luggage
When I was going to marry, the RSM sorted sabres, the Band sorted Adam Ant kit, the SSM sorted George boots and spurs, yada yada.

Site Guard complete, Best Man and I jumped in the Capri and back to the UK, the day before the wedding. Swords were needed back quickly, Best Man had BATUS to visit, so he took them back while Zero Alpha and I took the Capri on honeymoon.

Best Man died a year ago. He never forgave me for the hassle he took walking through Customs with two cavalry sabres that no record showed had left West Germany in the first place.

I got flown back from exercise in Germany on compassionate - literally picked up from a field by Land Rover, handed in the weapon, bayonet etc, changed and collected my civi kit and taken by RMP to a flight home. Customs at Brize took one look at me and waved me through - oh how I wish I hadn't left the bottles of booze in the room for the lads to have when they got off exercise. Respirator was useful when I was changing baby daughter's nappy.

(Thank you Team Clerk for amazing admin to get me home)

Yes reserve kit is mostly kept at home i.e. your black grip, 3x sets of uniform, boots, number 2's, warm kit, goretex etc. Helmets and respirator have to be kept in camp, as should your Bergen unless you sign it out mid week to pack for an ex that weekend (or it's your own bought one). I keep my webbing and daysack at home as it's kit I've bought myself, the issued stuff just sits in my locker.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Would never happen these days, mate... They'll take a can opener off you at Heathrow now!
Having left the cavalry to command a desk, I was a shoe in for the RAPC BAOR Corpsman team. The major commanded, I drive the Landrover and trailer from Paderborn to Worthy Down (because I wasn't trusting my Farmer Giles on the driving skills of the RAPC).

We were in uniform, and every BCP and ferry terminal, we counted the trailer load of weapons out and back and the major and Customs signed numerous forms in triplicate. I was frankly surprised that we parked up the Landrover and trailer chez Townsend Thoresen and simply walked up to the promenade deck. I really expected one of us to have to sit on the trailer across the North Sea. To be fair, being time served and having done the driving, if it was going to be anyone, it wasn't going to be me. Maybe the major dicked a nig. Can't remember, it was over 30 years ago. Who cares?

When I joined 49 Para it was SOP - full set of DPM, helmet & 58 Pattern kept in the cupboard at home, along with my mess tins, ration pack, crossbow, knife (with a compass in the handle) and air rifle.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's not as if they expect you to keep a Challenger 2 in your garage!