So what's the real cost of a UH-60M Blackhawk…

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Oct 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Although you can fit rather more people in the back of one ...
  2. You didn't take into account the cash bungs associated with the lynx so BH will be cheaper.
  3. I suppose it depends what you mean by the word 'cost', I think there is an amazing amount of smoke and mirrors attached to that word when it comes to defence spending, all designed to obscure whatever is really going on.
  4. There's a reason that Westland Helicopters are known as 'Wastelands'.
  5. Far less than the more capable Blackhawk. However, it doesn't support jobs in Yeovil so is a non-starter politically.

6. Far less for a Wildcat?

Well, that's what the MOd/Wasteland excusers have sought to portray when people have queried why the offer of Blackhawks was rejected in favour of another not really fit for purpose Wasteland product. The usual excuses were , 'Ah yes, but a Blackhawk cost would not include ' countermeasures equipment, training services and logistics support' and when you include all that, the Blackhawk would be so much more expensive than a Wildcat.

Well, 62 Wildcat are costing us £1.7 Billion.

1.7 Billion divided by 62 = £27.5 Million a pop

The Blackhawks in that Swedish package, the latest and rather gucchi UH-60M are £24.5 Million all inclusive.

Still, the CS wallah that signed off on the Wasteland deal is now gainfully employed by Finmeccanica and Smiths Industries so I'm sure the extra £3 Million per cab for a far less capable cab was money well spent to ensure his future wellbeing.
  7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

You are a tiny minded bunch of retards.

The cost of UH60and Wildcat per airframe are broadly similar.

Wildcat is a Lynx derivative. There is a footprint in place for the support of Lynx......spares, logistics etc. The training package for Lynx to Wildcat is calculated.

When the press start spouting about Blackhawk, Seahawk etc. being cheaper they are only talking about the purchase price per airframe.

The cost of introducing a new maintenance regime is astronomical.

Stop reading The Independent and look at the reality.
  8. I'm not saying they made the right decision for a minute, but the financial case for buying Brit kit must be almost
    overwhelming because homegrown stuff is, as near as dammit, free.

Buy Blackhawks and that's it, the money is gone.

Spend £1.7bn at Westlands and the Treasury will get most of it back through income tax, PAYE, tax on profits company tax etc, and then all the indirect taxes that the employees
    will also pay, car tax, telly tax, fuel fags and alcohol duty, stamp duty, VAT, council tax...... you get my point.

Looked at that way it makes buying from abroad proper expensive.
  9. Apologies for the typo. I did of course mean that the Wildcat was far more than the more capable H-60 variants. Moreover, the H-60 is better suited to both AAC and FAA requirements as opposed to the FLynx which is fine for the RN but extremely limited for the Army.

As MiB suggests, the costs are not quite as disparate as some would suggest. Equally however, I suspect the Wildcat will require significantly different logs and trg because it is a radically different type to the Lynx 'classic'.

However, it's all still academic as HMG have clearly decided that the UK requires an indiginous helicopter manufacturing capability so Westlands is the only option.

Are you for real Micawber?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do wish nurses wouldn't leave the respite care home IT suite unlocked.

10. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Look at the cost of a new belt buckle.

Raf+Navy+Army including reserves is £1.00 x 200K equals £200,000

Change to system, £50K as a minimum

Withdrawal of old buckle......£Christ only knows

Distribution of spares..£100K

Changes to manuals...£300K

General noise and logistical boll0cks...£1 million belt buckle costs somewhere in the region of £2 million

New helicopter?

£200 million before you have blinked.
  11. Another aspect to look at is that a good chunk of money given to domestic suppliers is recouped through taxes, not so imports from lands afar. I read, i think on here, that this is taken into account by bean counters when approving buys.

12. You are aware of course that Wasteland is now an Italian owned company and it also holds a licence to make the UH-60?
  13. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

14. Magic mushroom, if you could do the decent thing and point out where I am all at sea I'd be genuinely obliged.

But if not, then bollocks to you.