So whats a Crossed Belt?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Library_Soldier, Aug 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some time ago, I was tasked to create a diversion in a conversation using this phrase, subsequently my ears bled, but was rewarded with many many beers, What pray did he mean, summat 'bout Mortars I seem to recall?

2. Mexican bandits wear em, with lots of bullets on. Summat bout mortars, don't be daft.

3. Reet, that's me telt then, Ta!

4. Library_Soldier, hoping this is not a wah: there are plenty people here who know the answer but are feart to have their definition torn apart by other 81mm nazis on the site. It's simple enough and there may be a rush for the pamphlet when people get into work in the morning.

5. Surely a "Cross Belt" is a belt that is worn by Rupert's (I think that the Light Division Seniors wear them also). It is worn across the shoulder and down the back (like a sash). It has a pouch, which is worn on the back, which was originally used for carrying dispatches. The pouch is now just for show.

(or have I missed the plot on this post?:( )

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

quote="inkerman7492"]Surely a "Cross Belt" is a belt that is worn by Rupert's (I think that the Light Division Seniors wear them also). It is worn across the shoulder and down the back (like a sash). It has a pouch, which is worn on the back, which was originally used for carrying dispatches. The pouch is now just for show.

(or have I missed the plot on this post?:( )[/quote]

David Niven has an excellent description of what can be carried in them in The Moon's A Balloon whilst acting as Adjt's Stick, Condoms etc

7. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Commandant's personal supplies!

8. You would never manage to carry an 81mm round in that pouch.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Aye that's the one - couldn't get a ref for it

10. Hackle, no wah, noduff.

11. That'd be a Sam Browne Shirley?

12. If you say so. In simplistic, splash, terms: one, three, two. Or two, one, three, etc etc.

13. LS, 'rabid spaniel' is quite right. NO WAH, Roger. If no-one else comes up with an even clearer answer I will get back to this.

On the other hand, it could be about "a belt that is worn by Ruperts" as previously suggested

14. I can't believe that some officers have plastic versions! This was a sign of hard times in the late 80s and early 90s where savings had to be made. Shame on those who still wear them.

15. A Cross Belt is also worn by Officers of the RA.

Mine is Brown Leather and goes from the right shoulder across the chest.

There is a pouch on the back which I was told was for musket ammo however it does make a handy mobile phone pouch.

Birddog