Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, what you drinking?

Will your uncle be au fait with those wines? If not, would you welcome a word of advice?
Advice is always welcome. I am giving the wine to my uncle because it belonged to his brother, I thought it should go to him to dispose of as he sees fit, It would be wasted on me I am ashamed to say.

Last edited:
Advice is always welcome. I am giving the wine to my uncle because it belonged to his brother, I thought it should go to him to dispose of as he sees fit, It would be wasted on me I am ashamed to say.
All right, I’ll get back to you tomorrow. Oh, and you have nothing at all to be “ashamed” about.

The 'bad' news is that neither of those claret vintages was anything much to shout about, though 2007 was much the better. Nevertheless, you have two of the greatest names in Bordeaux. The Lafite is well past its best and needs to be drunk now, but it is still a bottle of the world's most famous wine, and if your uncle is happy to share it you'll get a tantalizing hint of what it can offer in its (frequent) great vintages. It should be stood up for at least three days, somewhere cool and dark, before it is opened, and then carefully decanted. I'd do the same for the VCC, which should be just right for drinking now, though it will be good for another ten years at least. It should be a real treat, one of Bordeaux's finest. If you wanted to sell them at auction (Bonhams, Brightwells or possibly Christie's/Sotheby's), you might get c. £90 for the VCC and £300/350 for the Lafite (reflecting the snob value rather more than the quality). Finally, there are no guarantees: every bottle of wine at this rarefied level is an individual, and you could just get a dud, especially with the Lafite. Best of luck!

Last edited:
The 'bad' news is that neither of those claret vintages was anything much to shout about, though 2007 was much the better. Nevertheless, you have two of the greatest names in Bordeaux. The Lafite is well past its best and needs to be drunk now, but it is still a bottle of the world's most famous wine, and if your uncle is happy to share it you'll get a tantalizing hint of what it can offer in its (frequent) great vintages. It should be stood up for at least three days, somewhere cool and dark, before it is opened, and then carefully decanted. I'd do the same for the VCC, which should be just right for drinking now, though it will be good for another ten years at least. It should be a real treat, one of Bordeaux's finest. If you wanted to sell them at auction (Bonhams, Brightwells or possibly Christie's/Sotheby's), you might get c. £90 for the VCC and £300/350 for the Lafite (reflecting the snob value rather more than the quality). Finally, there are no guarantees: every bottle of wine at this rarefied level is an individual, and you could just get a dud, especially with the Lafite. Best of luck!
Thankyou very much for your detailed and informative reply.
As I said I don't have the palate to appreciate wines such as these, in truth I don't know if my uncle does. The important thing for me was to be able to give something that meant a lot to my father, to his brother. To give him a bit of my father, if that makes any sense.
Again, many thanks.

Latest Threads