So, what you drinking?

We still have Marstones Bitter , I do like a pint of Pedigree but they have meddled with it over the years and it no longer has that Burnt Oak taste.
Agree. Last time I was in Staffs (about a year ago) Pedigree was all too sweet. Like how Bass went. That sulphurous note, the oaky taste as it should be, now not how I remember it.
Odd, really. I grew up in Stafford, where Banks was a joke and Marston’s held in high esteem. Banks’s ales are now ok, and the likes of Pedigree are shadows of their former selves.
The world has gone mad. At least you have Titanic and Joules’ to keep you sane.

wheel

LE
Agree. Last time I was in Staffs (about a year ago) Pedigree was all too sweet. Like how Bass went. That sulphurous note, the oaky taste as it should be, now not how I remember it.
Odd, really. I grew up in Stafford, where Banks was a joke and Marston’s held in high esteem. Banks’s ales are now ok, and the likes of Pedigree are shadows of their former selves.
The world has gone mad. At least you have Titanic and Joules’ to keep you sane.
Agree with you whole heartedly. Also there is Winkle Brewery Staffordshire Moorlands and Beartown Brewery in nearby Congleton. My favorite Titanic beer is Plum Porter. All do on line deliveries.

I miss Pedigree. I really like a pint of Marston‘s bitter, but I believe it’s called something else now. I can still recall the taste. Ideal over crap jukebox tunes and a game of pool.
Luckily, a few breweries here in Hampshire are still brewing, and some deliver.
I dunno where you live in Hants but have you tried the Tongham Brewery in, eerrh, ummm, Tongham.

Obviously you won't be able to for a while but they do make exceedingly good beer.

Mrs TS2 rarely drank (she didn't need to. I kept the national average up for both of us). We went to the Jolly Sailor in Ripley once and I ordered a pot of tea and a pint of tea. She was amazed that I ordered tea in a pub and was disappointed when the bloke brought us tea and a pint of Tongham English Ale. Dozy cow.

They do takeaway at the brewery.

I dunno where you live in Hants but have you tried the Tongham Brewery in, eerrh, ummm, Tongham.

Obviously you won't be able to for a while but they do make exceedingly good beer.

Mrs TS2 rarely drank (she didn't need to. I kept the national average up for both of us). We went to the Jolly Sailor in Ripley once and I ordered a pot of tea and a pint of tea. She was amazed that I ordered tea in a pub and was disappointed when the bloke brought us tea and a pint of Tongham English Ale. Dozy cow.

Are you thinking of the Hog's Back Brewery? In which case I agree, excellent beer and cider. Apparently during the brewery tour there are lots of mandatory free samples, I'm still kicking myself for letting a visit voucher expire a few years ago.

An old (now sadly dead) mate of mine did cover for a boozer in Farnborough years ago. He threw back the bolts and the thirsty crew stormed in. “Pint of TEA” they all called for. Temp landlord went through to the galley and asked if the call for gallons of tea was normal, thinking it was some kind of temperance hotel.
The customers just wanted the TEA, Hogs Back Brewery’s Traditional English Ale.
Prince of Wales in Farnborough. Cracking real ale pub for many a year. And hoping it will be for many more.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
An old (now sadly dead) mate of mine did cover for a boozer in Farnborough years ago. He threw back the bolts and the thirsty crew stormed in. “Pint of TEA” they all called for. Temp landlord went through to the galley and asked if the call for gallons of tea was normal, thinking it was some kind of temperance hotel.
The customers just wanted the TEA, Hogs Back Brewery’s Traditional English Ale.
Prince of Wales in Farnborough. Cracking real ale pub for many a year. And hoping it will be for many more.

They do TEA regularly in our local. At least they did ...

Sour fend, near Portsmouth. We are well covered for beer. Urban Island are particular favourites and will deliver some soon.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Fingers crossed, Bob. Hopefully the ability to have a stroll to the boozer won’t be a casualty of all this plague.

We have the "best little boozer in the village" ... ;-)

At least that's what they claim in their weekly online newsletter which is usually very funny.

Agree with you whole heartedly. Also there is Winkle Brewery Staffordshire Moorlands and Beartown Brewery in nearby Congleton. My favorite Titanic beer is Plum Porter. All do on line deliveries.
Love Beartown beers. They have always had an eye on quality. A friend of ours is a neighbour of one of the Bott‘s from Titanic, and they always have a barrel of Plum Porter in the kitchen at Christmas. Which I am forced to drink, through peer pressure.

Hogs Back Brewery has moved with the lockdown.

They are doing drive through, order and collect and delivery. For the first two they just put the hooch in your boot and FO. For the third it is within 15 miles.

They also deliver bread, oddly enough. Not sure if that is an offshoot of their yeastiness.

Hogs Back Brewery has moved with the lockdown.

They are doing drive through, order and collect and delivery. For the first two they just put the hooch in your boot and FO. For the third it is within 15 miles.

They also deliver bread, oddly enough. Not sure if that is an offshoot of their yeastiness.
Good to know. They are an inventive brewery, before this Covid thing, I heard they were re-invigorating the hops grown in that part of the world in the 18th C. Farnham-grown hops were renowned, apparently, and have their own strains. Hopefully they will survive this.

Further to 7771 above - after a bit of thought.

If the HBB deliver bread and beer all you need is a cheese supplier/deliverer and you are sorted for an indefinite lockdown.

Unless you run out of pickled onions.

Further to 7771 above - after a bit of thought.

If the HBB deliver bread and beer all you need is a cheese supplier/deliverer and you are sorted for an indefinite lockdown.

Unless you run out of pickled onions.
What kind of utter maniac would ever run out of pickled onions? As a child of the 1970s, when making huge jars of these bastards was all we had for fun, we will never (Churchill voice on) never run out of pickled onions.
Cheese has never been in short supply, either...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
What kind of utter maniac would ever run out of pickled onions? As a child of the 1970s, when making huge jars of these bastards was all we had for fun, we will never (Churchill voice on) never run out of pickled onions.
Cheese has never been in short supply, either...
Since some of the "sporting" items have finally been disposed of we now have the MIL's home-pickled onions in a secure cabinet. :-D

(like you do when you're bored off your tits).

These little bottles (probably a double measure) had those twist off and break the seal metal type tops which I confidently thought I could just unscrew. It was not to be - the top went round and round and would not break. Somewhat frustrated I had at it with a knife, risking personal injury and blunting the knife (which is worse). In the end I stabbed a hole through the top, poured it out and added the tonic. Now, memory is a funny thing but I don't remember tonic water having added sugar and ... wait for it ... artificial sweeteners as well. Truly gopping.

All in all, nailing my tits to a lamppost would have been a more rewarding experience.
Not got man boobs...yet.

May have been more rewarding, but really? Better you than me, but then again I don't have any.

On the red. May get promotion to uisge beatha later.

We still have Marstones Bitter , I do like a pint of Pedigree but they have meddled with it over the years and it no longer has that Burnt Oak taste.
if you had ever been to Burnt Oak, you'd know that it has lost nearly all sense of taste. What little that remains is to be found in one of several local Romanian delicatessen and strongly resembles pickled cabbage.

Aldi's own cheap whisky. Drinking purely for effect as I can't taste a bloody thing. :confused:

Euclid

Old-Salt
Laphroaig 10 year old accompanying the Spy Who Came in From The Cold on Sky. Courtesy of Amazon - some good bargains to be had.

Dame Vera Lynn and the London Philharmonics. Doubles. I’m off shift till Monday so feck it

Latest Threads