So, what you drinking?

I am afraid Muscadet are not supposed to be kept for 41 years...the very best can be kept up to maybe 10 years but most are normally drunk when still young

A litre of Highland Chieftain whisky, given by a neighbour who is moving. They were given it over forty years ago.
Tried searching t'internet to no avail but it is excellent.

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be any good, or worth anything ? It is a 1979 Muscadet Sevre et Main, bottled by Pierre Mouton, shipped by House of Hallgarten, London.
Bottled 1979, I wouldn't hold up much hope.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
On the subject of drinks, disappointment therewith, I discovered three little novelty bottles of gin in the cupboard which I'd bought in Whitby last October and were intended to be used as a gift as I'm not keen on gin.

However, current straightened circumstances prompted me to go and buy a 65p bottle of Sainsbury's tonic and experiment (like you do when you're bored off your tits).

These little bottles (probably a double measure) had those twist off and break the seal metal type tops which I confidently thought I could just unscrew. It was not to be - the top went round and round and would not break. Somewhat frustrated I had at it with a knife, risking personal injury and blunting the knife (which is worse). In the end I stabbed a hole through the top, poured it out and added the tonic. Now, memory is a funny thing but I don't remember tonic water having added sugar and ... wait for it ... artificial sweeteners as well. Truly gopping.

All in all, nailing my tits to a lamppost would have been a more rewarding experience.

These little bottles (probably a double measure) had those twist off and break the seal metal type tops which I confidently thought I could just unscrew. It was not to be - the top went round and round and would not break. Somewhat frustrated I had at it with a knife, risking personal injury and blunting the knife (which is worse). In the end I stabbed a hole through the top, poured it out and added the tonic. Now, alcoholic desperation is a funny thing
No charge.

With respect to the OP, whatever I can get down my gob at the moment.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 451082
Whisky Mac. 70% scotch 30% ginger wine, some ice more for the noise it makes in the glass than anything. Twelve months to the day that my father died, any former SRS and QRIH please raise a glass to absent friends.
Sorry, HT, just seen this. As someone who ended up QRH, I‘ll raise a toast to a former regimental comrade, no matter how vicariously.
Another empty saddle -RIP.

A litre of Highland Chieftain whisky, given by a neighbour who is moving. They were given it over forty years ago.
Tried searching t'internet to no avail but it is excellent.
Look on the label. If it says anything like “Gordon & McPhail”, or has what they call a ‘flora and fauna’ label (google both) it may be an independent bottling. If so, great.
However, I suspect they are shuffling on some booze they were given all them years ago. Open it and get it seen off.

wheel

LE
I miss Pedigree. I really like a pint of Marston‘s bitter, but I believe it’s called something else now. I can still recall the taste. Ideal over crap jukebox tunes and a game of pool.
Luckily, a few breweries here in Hampshire are still brewing, and some deliver.
We still have Marstones Bitter , I do like a pint of Pedigree but they have meddled with it over the years and it no longer has that Burnt Oak taste.

Just had a glass and it is surprisingly drinkable albeit with a bit of ice. Obviously not a patch on what it would have been in its prime, but then people in glass houses and all that.
Some whites can last a surprisingly long time, if kept well. If they have a high acidity, for many years.
Most wine producers want you to consume it within a short time, so you buy more.

Latest Threads