So, what you drinking?

Some citrus hop flavours can be refreshing but there seems an awful lot of it. Now and then is okay if it's done well but I generally prefer English varieties of hops. Thankfully there are still some growers in the UK that are still enthusiastic and haven't sold their land to property developers...
The English ones tend to be more subtle.

Johnny Walker Double Black Lable - for a blended malt it is really to my taste as they have added a bit more Islay malt to give it a more pronounced peaty/iodine flavour. Delicious. It was £31+ from Amazon.

They can be. Some of the brewers can be quite frugal with hops. I know that some brewers don't actually like hoppy beers. What about Cascade and Jester?

Varieties - British Hop Association
Hops are expensive. I've brewed with Cascade and like it in a summer IPA. Jester is one I'll need to try.

I tend to brew in the 27p a pint area.

Over the last few years, I have drifted away from IPAs and gone for darker ales such as Ruby Red beers or even some Porters. The pub I tend to use is the Stanford Arms Lowestoft. It's a free house and is highly regarded by CAMRA.
Anything up to 15 real ales half doz ciders and some European craft beers.

I'm drinking cloudy apple juice with tonic water but may treat myself to a beer after that. Got some Brew Dog Nanny State (0.5%) to try but also have some very tasty oatmeal stout. Still sorting stuff out and haven't started brewing yet.

ETA - Nanny State - Complex malt and hops. Drinkable. I know it has fans who rave about it but it wasn't compelling.

Last edited:
Hops are expensive. I've brewed with Cascade and like it in a summer IPA. Jester is one I'll need to try.

I tend to brew in the 27p a pint area.
This has got me thinking that I need to dig out the brewery. I say brewery - it’s a cool box mash tun with a boiler and some buckets. Haven’t brewed for a while due to laziness and don’t brew in winter/summer cos have no fermentation control. Always use Safale yeast and an immersion chiller. That’s as scientific as it gets.
I mainly use Fuggles/Goldings/Challenger/Northdown as I quite like English ale types and they get somehow rarer as I get older and more jaded. One of my favourite brews is a mild ale based on on Holden’s Black Country Mild. A nice quaffable, refreshing ale. Rare in Hampshire where I now live, but as a Staffordshire lad I do miss a nice mild ale.
Never worked out the cost per pint. But you can’t beat inhaling brewing fumes all day and having a beer at the end. All the senses are heightened. Ace.

This has got me thinking that I need to dig out the brewery. I say brewery - it’s a cool box mash tun with a boiler and some buckets. Haven’t brewed for a while due to laziness and don’t brew in winter/summer cos have no fermentation control. Always use Safale yeast and an immersion chiller. That’s as scientific as it gets.
I mainly use Fuggles/Goldings/Challenger/Northdown as I quite like English ale types and they get somehow rarer as I get older and more jaded. One of my favourite brews is a mild ale based on on Holden’s Black Country Mild. A nice quaffable, refreshing ale. Rare in Hampshire where I now live, but as a Staffordshire lad I do miss a nice mild ale.
Never worked out the cost per pint. But you can’t beat inhaling brewing fumes all day and having a beer at the end. All the senses are heightened. Ace.
Something therapeutic about brewing too. Sterilising all the kit, bottles and bottle tops takes a while though as does bottling 38 pints or so. Link to the home brew thread in case this talk of home brew triggers some interest. https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/homebrew-thread.180967

Just rolled out for sale today. It rolls in at 5% ABV, and 0% taste. At $1 per bottle, this is stuff to drink in order to get drunk and nothing more.
beer.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Chianti

(where are my Fava beans?)

Definitely off the wagon this past two days but I'm away from home, so see it as a rare happening.
A bottle & a half of reasonable Shiraz Viognier with my steak bearnaise, followed by a bottle of Ilkley brewery pale ale - not one I've seen before & definitely quite palatable & only 4.2% abv.
Now on a bottle of Shipyard American IPA & might head down to the truck for another Ilkley before bed (it's frosty out, so the truck's cooler than the hotel room & less risky than balancing the beer on the windowsill to chill...).