So, What have labour done for us?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by SkiCarver, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There have been a number of threads on topics relating to the laws labour has brought in which erode civil liberties, endanger democracy and generally treat the UK population with contempt.

I feel it would be useful to have a 'quick guide' to this.

To Start.

The highlights from yesterdays 'anti terror' bill.

1. 42 day internment for those whom the government claim are terrorists.
    2. End of open inquests. The government can now hold these behind closed doors, for whatever reason they like.
    3. The coroner who runs an inquest can be nominated by the government, giving them the power to put puppets in place.

Other items,

Routine monitoring of banking transactions - everyone’s, without any requirement for suspicion of criminal activity (if you take £1000 cash out of a personal account, you are required to explain what it will be used for).
    Making every tiny transgression of ‘the rules’ immediately punishably by fines. (dropping an apple core)
    Allowing the situation where a member of the public can be coerced into admitting they have committed a crime, when they haven’t been informed that that means accepting a criminal record. (on the spot fines)
    Allowing surveillance of members of the public without need for suspicion of criminal activity or a court order.
    Taking and DNA from suspects and not deleting the record if the individual is found innocent or not even charged with an offence!
    Selling of private information belonging to citizens for profit. (dvla)
    Taking political control of police, thereby making them agents of the state, rather than solely responsible to the public.
    The ID card scheme – don’t get me started on that one!!!!!!

Any more?

It would be good to list up the specific pieces of legislation which allow these items, if someone knows them.

2. Lets not forget hate crimes....or the curtailing of the right to peacefull protest
  3. I forgot that one. you now have to ask the state for permission to protest! one of my 'pet hates'

4. Or the Liberal use of the Parliament act to push through legislation without using Democratic process.
  5. How many times has it been used, Lance?

I believe it was also used in about 2004 in relation to the Diego Garcia saga.I think that one is subject to appeal by the Government after the courts threw it out.
  7. You might want to read this Sven

Including this extract from.....

....The Liberal Democrats views on the LRR Bill

"The Bill replaces an existing law that allows ministers to relieve regulatory burdens. Business was enthusiastic about that principle and the Government seems to have convinced the business lobby that the latest Bill is just a new, improved version. What makes the new law different, however, is not only that it allows the Government to create extra regulation, including new crimes, but also that it allows ministers to change the structure of government itself. There might be business people so attached to the notion of efficiency and so ignorant or scornful of the principles of democracy that they find such a proposition attractive. Ordinary citizens should find it alarming."
  8. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

As I'm in an arguementative mood today I thought I'd join in.

the 1949 amended act has been used 4 times in total.

Once by the conservatives, 3 times by Labour.

the original 1911 act has been used 3 times, twice by the liberals and once by labour (to infact force the 1949 amendment through).

Considering the number of times it has been used since 1911...7 in total, then 3 occuring in the last 9 years seems quite 'liberal' in use. Especially when you consider the bills they were used on.

Liberal bills:

Minor change to the Church of England
    Ireland Home rule - actually didn't become reality.

War crimes act 1991 - closed a legal loophole for war criminals of WWII

1949 Ammendment - basically strengthened the act by brute force.
    European Parliment Elections - Proportional rep in European votes.
    Sex offences Act 2000 - lowered the age of consent for Gay men.
    Hunting Act 2004 - stopped hutning with dogs...well sort of.

So to sum it up.

Liberals introduced it but didn't really do much with it.
    Conservatives used it to catch and try War criminals
    Labour has used it to give them selves more power and impose thier moral code on others.

p.s. yes deliberatly inflamatory response but I'm in the mood.
  9. Re:Diego Garcia.
    Here it is.The story is about three quarters way down in the 'recent developments' section.

That makes four times by the present Government.
  10. Quite
  11. Well, in my view, they have made life a hell of a lot more difficult for the majority of us. :twisted:

Get the tories back, atleast we knew where we (HM Forces) stood. :!:
  12. It effectively gives government the power to turn themselves into dictators.
    Still, I suppose they only have our best interests at heart
  13. Sorry,I meant 'Orders in council',not nice stuff though.
  14. I agree with the ban on fox hunting!