So what happens to the other countries' flags? ANZAC etc?

If the Scots get their independence then that will be the end of the Union Jack.

However, it's not just the UK that flies the Union Jack, what will happen to Australia, New Zealand and all the other places where the Jack is still used as part of their flag?

nz-flag.jpg

australia.png

flags-2.jpg

Personally I love the idea that the British flag is still flown as part of other nation's flags because it means when I go to those countries and see the colours I feel a little bit more at home in the knowledge that they derive their origins from British ideals. I went to Canada last year and saw the Red Duster flying with the Union Jack in the top corner, as cheesy as it may sound I was actually very glad to see the colours flying because it reminded me that Canada wasn't an entirely foreign country and still had many British traditions.

If the Scots go their own way though will this lead to all those countries changing their flag designs to something else? I haven't really studied the 'End of Empire' much either, did the Dominions get the vote to leave British rule or were they simply granted independence due to American pressure of free enterprise? It would have been interesting to see what the results would have been if it were left to a referendum and what % of the population felt loyal to the crown. Perhaps things would have been better for us if we continued to have closer ties with the Commonwealth?

Call me an sentimentalist and perhaps an imperialist, but I hope the colours still continue to fly in the South Pacific and other areas long into the future. If the Union Jack is taken not only from the UK, but the entire world, then that really will be the end of an era.

DC

Mattb

LE
Well the Queen will still be the Queen of Scotland for the time being, so I can't see any reason to change the flag for now.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What ever they like. Any constitutional change in the UK has no bearing on what ever the symbolic handkerchief a particular place wants to use. The continued use of the Union Flag in the upper canton of many flags would simply be an accurate reflection of their history.

NZ & Aus are independent, they still use it. Fiji is a Republic, they still use it. Hawaii bloody uses it for gawd's sake.

Your understanding of the world is rather trite and simplistic at best.

What ever they like. Any constitutional change in the UK has no bearing on what ever the symbolic handkerchief a particular place wants to use. The continued use of the Union Flag in the upper canton of many flags would simply be an accurate reflection of their history.

NZ & Aus are independent, they still use it. Fiji is a Republic, they still use it. Hawaii bloody uses it for gawd's sake.

Up yours cunty chops, I'm well aware that Hawaii uses the UJ, the whole point of my post is that if the UK loses the Union Jack there's more of a reason for ANZAC to go their own way and change theirs rather than continue to use a defunct set of colours.

<Wah Shield on> Only called the union jack at sea ?<Wah Shield off>

AFAIK you can call it the Jack anywhere, whether the colours fly on sea or on land. Although it has traditionally been the case only to call the colours the Union Jack when they're flying from a jackstaff.

Who says we have to change the Union flag just because the Scots may make the biggest mistake in 400 years?

OK so the Union flag symbolically represents the 4 component parts of the Union but it is purely a symbolic thing. I see no reason to change it if the Scots vote Yes. There is no constitutional reason why the Scots can insist that we do.

Who says we have to change the Union flag just because the Scots may make the biggest mistake in 400 years?

OK so the Union flag symbolically represents the 4 component parts of the Union but it is purely a symbolic thing. I see no reason to change it if the Scots vote Yes. There is no constitutional reason why the Scots can insist that we do.

Whether that's the case or not you can bet it will change.

I only hope it doesn't turn into some ethnic and cultural diversity travesty like the London 2012 logo. We might end up with something containing muave, whatever that is.

Makes no difference, we keep it, if we want.
Scotland doesn't "own" the blue bits can't do anything to stop us using it.
If anything, worth keeping it just to wind them up.

Eck told you that has he?

NSP

LE
AFAIK you can call it the Jack anywhere, whether the colours fly on sea or on land. Although it has traditionally been the case only to call the colours the Union Jack when they're flying from a jackstaff.
Some information from the Flag Institute:-
http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

And some tabloid excitement about what looks like the stuff said in the link above:-
http://www.express.co.uk/comment/ex...-official-We-can-call-our-flag-the-Union-Jack

Does that settle it?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Family asked this question last night. I suggested replacing the blue field from the St Andrew saltire with the black field from the St David flag. The white of the St Andrew saltire doesn't need to go because it is redundant courtesy of the white field of the St Patrick saltire.

Replace the horizontal / vertical white around the St George cross with yellow from the St David cross and the three remaining constituent parts of the union are all equally represented in a new flag not so greatly changed by removing St Andrew.

As a pedantic matelot- I don't really give 2 hoots if it's beeing flown from a jack staff or not, I still call it the Union Jack, times change and so do usages and meaning of words- our language is ever evolving.

Up yours cunty chops, I'm well aware that Hawaii uses the UJ, the whole point of my post is that if the UK loses the Union Jack there's more of a reason for ANZAC to go their own way and change theirs rather than continue to use a defunct set of colours.
If they don't currently have a reason to change their flag, what difference would the UK's unity or lack of make?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Hawaii uses it so that we won't shoot at them. This was decided by the Hawaiians, on American advice, back in the days when foreigners knew what was good for them and the Americans did as they were told.

Mattb

LE
OK so the Union flag symbolically represents the 4 component parts of the Union but it is purely a symbolic thing.
Erm... Three parts. No one gives a crap about Wales.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

If they don't currently have a reason to change their flag, what difference would the UK's unity or lack of make?

As aforesaid, it should be crystal clear to any idiot that plenty of countries have the UJ in their flag due to British origins which may not reflect their current state of affairs. Hawaii being a perfect example. What rampant bunny failed to take into account is my mention of Anzac for the primary reason that they already have a popular movement to change their flag.

If the Union Jack no longer exists it would obviously provide even greater reason for the Anzacs to get new colours, why be associated with a defunct symbol that even the mother country no longer uses?

On the other hand, if we were to keep the flag then they could point to Britain and immediately identify with the common symbolic tradition of shared colours.

NSP

LE
Surely if the national flag were to change to reflect the break-up then it would merely require the deleting of the blue areas to leave the St. George with the St. Patrick Cross superimposed?

Latest Threads