Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

So What Happened (10 Nov 18)?

Quote:
"
And how much for them then?

PS to the Bosses: Working fine on my HP Note and S9."

Back in the 80's what seemed like amazing technology was expensive by the standards of the time. In 1984 I was in graduate school at Harvard and Harvard had deals with both IBM and Microsoft for discounts on computers and software. I bought an IBM PC/AT (80286 chip) with an EGA color monitor, dot matrix printer and a NEC Spinwriter thimble printer for finished copy. That and a copy of MS-Word came to a bit more than US$4200. The AT had 2 5.25 floppy drives, one with a 330kb capacity and one with an amazing for the time 1.2Mb capacity. I could have bought a hard drive (then called a Winchester drive) with 10MB capacity for about a thousand more but did not need it. If I had bought the same setup commercially it would have been more.
IBM offered Harvard a deal on cheap PC's for sale to the MBA candidates as they wanted to get IBM products into the hands of future captains of industry. Harvard was canny and told IBM no deal unless the same deal for all of our students and also for Harvard offices. IBM said OK. Microsoft was a good deal as Bill Gates was a Harvard dropout. Supposedly somewhere at Harvard is the student counselor who told Bill Gates: "Don't drop out, this computer thing is a flash in the pan, stay at Harvard and become an investment banker and make real money"

PS Just realized the Quote function has disappeared

421559_494037157310576_1926234227_n.jpg

Apparently....