So, what do you work on?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, Jun 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Most of us drive things that are so complicated they are scary, and need a computer just to tell you they are fucked.

But having poodled about this place for a while, I have learned that some of us just love to lay hands on a spanner and get stuck in.

For me, it is old agricultural engines. Simple old grunting beasts you can fix with a hammer and a shifting spanner. And old Landys. I do like old Landys.

So, what do you work on? And before you start, 'Maddie' is not an option, all right?

2. Plenty of BLU 26's here and some Mk 82 / 83. We also get 57mm, 30mm and a selection of rocketry. Just for a change, no improvised stuff here. Which is nice. We get the occasional BLU 3b and the odd 750lber both HE and WP. We are currently moving through an impact area about 27 k's from the Viet border, so this is Ho Chi Minh trail country.

1537 items so far since January.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HHH

HHH LE

Just out of interest, roughly what size of area have the 1537 items been located in?Many ThanksHHH

4. 749,658 m2 - a shade under 75 hectares.

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Looks like you've been working on your avatar Mr. the Duke. Does its reincarnation as a pink fairy mean that you will also be working on curtains, cushions and interior design schemes?

6. HHH

HHH LE

That is some amount in that area, still roughly 35 years later.Makes you wonder what the actual total of ordnance used was.Thanks Again for your reply,HHH

7. There are various figures quoted, including the one of 14 million tons for the Vn war. US records show that there were 580,344 bombing missions over Laos by US aircraft over a period of 9 years. This does not include "special" CIA missions, Thai Air force missions and other stuff. It is said that more bombs were dropped on Laos than on the whole of Europe during WW2. Anyway, that's the thread derailed. Hows yer shed?

8. Being a REME VM for the last 23 years Im not allowed to work on my own car as directed by the long haired CO. When I have though it does piss me off that With most faults that I have fixed it still needs to go into the dealer to be put on a machine to switch the warning lights off.............normal mechanical skills are going to be a thing of the past in years to come and everything run by a machine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. My "Thing" seems to be Bikes, not the vroom vroom type, the squeak squeak type this undoubtedly means I end up un-buckling wheels and changing gear cables for all and sundry, but because it doesn't go vroom they seem to think you don't need to offer money! :-(

10. My service indicator light was turned off by a local garage with something they downloaded off the internet. It was all related to pushing several buttons in a sequence on the steering whell - maybe someone has a link?

11. My pushbikes get tinkered with, but to relax I work with wood as my day job involves computers so it is nice to get back to something that doesn't require too much technology

12. I think you'll find NEARLY ALL on here relax with wood in their hands.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Silly me of course. I meant tree wood,

14. Being in the Tpt. Ind. we run a Modern Fleet of Daf, Man, Scania, Mercand Volvo.and you are so right, all the skills have been lost because of progress,or is it progress?Gone are the days(in UK) when a Driver got his hands dirty, now only theOwner Drivers do this, God Bless 'em.If one of our Drivers tries to fix anything, the warranty is invalidated,now we just stand and watch ATS change our Blow outs, or have abrew while the Nut Stranglers change a bulb, progress, yeah man!

15. Mini digger. Being an owner operator of a 1.5 ton JCB excavator, I do all my own maintenance and repairs etc. The machine is 10 years old now but still going strong. Touch wood. :)