So what can you achieve with C1 only training?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Oct 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

This is a moderated, yet positive thread with ideas for what we can do with C1 training:

MK1 lectures ( http://www.tinyurl.com/103MK1 ) for all to see where they sit in the bigger picture. I have some slides which I am happy to release

Toastmasters: http://www.toastmasters.org - public speaking and evaluation skills, useful for giving orders and training

Phys: We have fitted out a gym with acquired / donated kit

ECDL training: use the computers which you have at the TAC. This book is useful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0435577824/?tag=armrumser-21

Command tasks: use a bit of initiative and some of the old tyres / ropes / etc lying around the TAC and garages to bring on your JNCOs

Other computer exams e.g. A+, Network+ and Security+ using some IT assets which are being disposed of and a few books which can be purchased from the Regimental fund.

All other suggestions gratefully received.

msr

Attached Files:

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

C1 plus Coy fund =

Trip to Regtl museum

Get one of the old and bold in on a training night to give a quick chat on ops for his generation, f/by curry.

Mega Christmas social - you weren't going to get paid for it before the weekend, so what has changed?

Family range day - clays of course, followed by BBQ

Don't try and dress it up - you are doing a mlitary themed social event to keep people turning up, not doing military training for free.

3. With regards to the public speaking you could get your guys to form syndicates and prepare presentations on a given topic. Being part of a syndicate can take the edge off public speaking a little, for the younger or less confident. Allowing the syndicates to critique each other injects a little banter too.

4. C1 or D1 + Regt/Sqn Fund =

Battlefield tours within the UK - head up (or down) to York, go and see Hadrian's Wall, look at local castles; particularly interesting in the terms of COIN ops.

Get over to the Defence Capability Centre (DCC) at the Defence Academy, Shrivenham to see a broad range of weapon systems from AS90 to Desert Hawk. Very cool stuff.

Enormous Christmas social with giant sumo wrestling and gladiator jousting (it's what we're doing)!

Go Ape/Paint Ball style outdoor activities - might as do some shooting after all!

For Officers/Seniors have a look at some past ops in terms of MK1/Mk2 training and do a full day of sandbox/combat estimate training - including IPB/DSO/DSOM, it gets interesting at this point :-D

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Oi! D_C_O,

have you been listening in to my chats with the SPSI?

6. msr

msr LE

7. Right, excuse me not being in the know but can someone give the definitions of C1, C2 D1 etc?

If so I would be pleased to come up with some suggestions. A key element is whether the blokes are going to actually be out of pocket by attending.

Key questions to my mind are:

Are travel to unit expenses paid?

Can the TAC be used (heating. lighting etc.) ?

Can mil tpt be used to go anywhere?

Are troops insured for various activities?

Can other budgets be drawn upon for example: Can ammunition be drawn? Live or blank? etc.

I can think of lots of things I could get my unit involved in that would not require forking out funds although of course I am the lowest of the low being an aspiring nig! :)

Notwithstanding the fact that the Government and LAND have basically said "You are worthless" we know better than that and we'd best just Soldier On and make damned sure that the general public knows about it.

Anybody got "Freedom of the City"? Now there is an opportunity!

8. If there are units thinking about the DCC or Larkhill then give me a shout, I know a man who knows a man..can't promise anything but at least a PoC if one is lacking. Excellent thread and I think what Polar was aiming at previosuly..

9. Everyone's saying regimental museums, uk battlefield tours etc... why not do the full monty with a foreign battlefield tour?

book as a group and it's nice and cheap (everyone contribute their cost), and use it as a good excuse for a good ole mass piss up cross holiday in another country. now nothing's paid, nothing need be justified.

I think this whole situation should be a good opportunity for the bars to make loads of money so the units can pay for some fun stuff. lets temporarily return the TA to the old drinking club days.

10. msr

msr LE

Mil DVD nights: Platoon, Bridge Too Far, etc

Order a pizza with the JRC funds.

msr

11. Drill, PT and Band of Brothers with pizza for us. We're just looking to keep everyone together so there's something for the recruits to come into and something for others to come back to when normality returns.

Unit cohesion is especially important for those of us who have just undergone a regt change and have new members from other units who weren't so lucky to survive the summer cull.

12. Great minds think alike. Already sent this up my CoC. Spoilt for choice on the mainland.

Sounds dangerously similar to airsoft.... :wink:

13. Anyone?

14. If we're being serious....

Sport! Lots of Sport and fitness related stuff. Turn The TA into a Free Gym/Circuits class for 6 months running every tuesday night and every weekend and you might keep some staff motivated.