So what are we ‘losing’ by leaving the EU?

Commission to determine EU tariffs on Myanmar, Cambodia rice

A very tangible example of the fine work the commision does to protect us from competitively priced foodstuffs. While the remainers seem happy to throw British fishing under the bus because its a small part of GDP so 'doesn't matter' it is clearly utterly vital that our rice farmers are protected by the wise men in Brussels. Paying a load more for imported rice in the shops (with all the duty sent straight to the EUs coffers so no perverse incentive there) is a small price to pay for preserving Lincolnshires thriving rice paddies.

A very tangible example of the fine work the commision does to protect us from competitively priced foodstuffs. While the remainers seem happy to throw British fishing under the bus because its a small part of GDP so 'doesn't matter' it is clearly utterly vital that our rice farmers are protected by the wise men in Brussels. Paying a load more for imported rice in the shops (with all the duty sent straight to the EUs coffers so no perverse incentive there) is a small price to pay for preserving Lincolnshires thriving rice paddies.
You'd think we'd be trying to assist Cambodia and Burma develop in the world.

Just another example of how remainers are talking utter hoop when they drone on about racist leavers and 'turning out back in the world'.

RemaINed a aren't the type.

no dash, elan, spirit of adventure.

they'll move to some ghastly ex-pay enclave before returning to UK to run up medical bills and die. But that's not really the same.
Why are you capitalising "IN"?

And what have you been sniffing? ^^

Last edited:
If he is an enabler why is he trying to stop us deploying?
I threw my hat into the ring twice.

I'm surprised a high speed, intellectual, colossus like @Tired_Brain didn't know that.

Kinda nukes his comment, really.

He's like the twenty year weazing cpl storeman.

He doesn't feel he's been adequately taken into account in the planning process, even though he was told six months ago...
That really does sound like the bitter voice of experience, doesn't it? ^^

I just paid 85 centimos for a kilo of rice. Does that mean I should only be paying 60?
Must be getting ripped off, then.
(Or could it be that the EU will only import rice from countries that meet the stringent rules on foreign trace elements in rice which a kindly Mod informed us some time back that they don't do things like that?)

I just paid 85 centimos for a kilo of rice. Does that mean I should only be paying 60?
Must be getting ripped off, then.
(Or could it be that the EU will only import rice from countries that meet the stringent rules on foreign trace elements in rice which a kindly Mod informed us some time back that they don't do things like that?)
Yes you are quite right, clearly taxing the feck out of imported rice removes dangerous trace elements from it.

Eejit.

Yes you are quite right, clearly taxing the feck out of imported rice removes dangerous trace elements from it.

Eejit.
And there you go again.
Read through the legislation and countries that meet the rules on trace elements will not be taxed extra and refers to Cambodian rice. 80% of rice imports come from India which do meet the rules and have no tariffs.

I'd be more concerned on tariffs on meat. 80% of lamb imported into the EU comes from New Zealand which is tariff free up to a quota. New Zealand has never got near to reaching the quotas so all NZ lamb is, effectively, tariff free.
WTO rules impose a 45 to 50% tariff on meat prices.
That may cost a bit more than the 2 or 3 cents tax on Cambodian rice (a tax which, by the way, has failed to materialise as 17 of the EU countries voted not to impose it).

And there you go again.
Read through the legislation and countries that meet the rules on trace elements will not be taxed extra and refers to Cambodian rice. 80% of rice imports come from India which do meet the rules and have no tariffs.

I'd be more concerned on tariffs on meat. 80% of lamb imported into the EU comes from New Zealand which is tariff free up to a quota. New Zealand has never got near to reaching the quotas so all NZ lamb is, effectively, tariff free.
WTO rules impose a 45 to 50% tariff on meat prices.
That may cost a bit more than the 2 or 3 cents tax on Cambodian rice (a tax which, by the way, has failed to materialise as 17 of the EU countries voted not to impose it).
'The Commission opened an investigation into rice imports from the two countries in March following a complaint by Italy.

It found that a significant surge in imports had caused economic damage to the rice sector in Europe. Rice grows in eight southern European countries from Portugal to Bulgaria.

EU farming group Copa-Cogeca says that the two countries’ exports to the European Union of longer-grained Indica rice have increased from 9,000 tonnes in 2012 to 360,000 tonnes in 2017, resulting in a collapse of rice prices.'

It's a protectionist measure, nothing to do with food safety. (Even the useless EU would draw the line at taxing identified dangerous food).

Really. Where did you go?
I didn't say I went; I said I threw my hat into the ring, twice.

Mostly because thats what I did.

I'm surprised a high speed intellectual colossus like you misunderstood that rather simple phrase.

As you're here, why you you capitalise "IN"? Third time of asking now.

I'm surprised a high speed intellectual colossus like you misunderstood that rather simple phrase.

So you're own management realised how dangerously stupid you are.

no confusion. I picked up an SAS recruitment brochure once...

get it?

You'd be amazed at the levels of independence i have.

why didn't you deploy btw? I've not heard of many people turned away.
1. HERRICK 8; being told (wrongly) by a PSI that I wouldn't be mobilised on a compulsory basis. With a young family and mortgages of 10x my basic income I needed the "security" of being mobilised on a compulsory basis. Cheers Jock.

2. H15; rule change on age three days before I was due to be mobilised as C-IED Trg Wo with the QDG. Nine months of pre Mobilisation / D I E training including ten weekends on the bounce, but I got to fire the GMG and HMG.

Since you asked so politely.