So we have the Grendel and its about to be tested

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Feb 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

but so impressed with the quality of Riflecrafts work am I that I will be picking up another CZ527 (bolt actions make for stronger test beds) in either 222 or 223 for rebarrelling to 6.5 in a 223 case.
    I made the dummy round up a few years ago and whilst waiting for a good gunsmith and funds some work has been done in the States creating the 6.5 SPC. This one basically shhortens the case slightly and increases the shoulder angle but I'm sure we can get along without too much of that.
    The important item here is to create a deer legal cartridge because if its not enough for deer its not enough for humans is it?
    Now I think I can get the MV up to 2400 fps for a 140 grain bullet then its in, I think though it will be too long and eat too much case capacity even in the strong bolt action so a 130 grain pill or even a 120 grainer doing 2450 fps or 2550 respectively do the same thing. working out the chamber pressures should be fun!
  2. Have you any images of the rnd?
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Some but not ready yet, I'll put some up tomorrow
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not the greatest of pics but from left to right;
    .50 Browning, Mk7 .303, .30 06 drill, 7.62 x 51 with 146 gn ball, 7.5 x 54 French (also now known as 7.62 x 55), .30 M1 Carbine, 7.62 x 39 M43 with 125 Gn Soft point, 5.45 x 39 FMJ, 6.5mm Grendel Case, 5,56 RG Nato Ball, .17 Remington, 6.5 x 45 (Ugly's own version) with 140 gn sp.

Attached Files:

5. ug's, check out some of the figures here. 6x45mm,

6×45mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

quite close to what your after, if you 'ackleyed' the shoulder for a bit more case capacity would help a lot too.

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide < say using a .223 ack improved and necking it out to 6mm?

or how about 6.35mm?? you could call that the "1/4 inch ugly carbine" =D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I want 6.5 over 6mm but will give it a go if it doesnt deliver!