So was Hitler an idiot?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Ord_Sgt, Nov 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I've been watching a few documentaries recently and although he seems to have done well in 1939/40, while listening to his Generals, he seems to have blown it in 1941. Pausing the attack on Moscow and diverting south when victory was in his grasp. Pausing at Stalingrad and diverting south for the oil fields, then changing his mind 2 weeks later blowing the whole thing.

I'm no expert but even I know you re-enforce success and don't chop and change every five minutes.

Any Barbarossa experts in the house able to expand?

2. No not really he was just misunderstood.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The more I watch the more the guy is a bit of a biff.

4. He was alright when he listened to his Generals, it all went to ratshit when he started thinking that he was anymore than a vastly over promoted Lance Jack.

In my opinion anyway.

5. According to the generals, every German victory was the result of generals' brilliance and every defeat was caused by Hitler's interference.

Of course the generals we able to write memoirs post war, while Hitler was not.

On your detailed points, I don't think victory was in the German's grasp at Moscow, the oil fields were very important and being further south there were less weather problems, Hitler did get obsessed with Stalingrad probably because of the name.

6. He outreached himself with the limited resources to hand. I never understood why he hit the Russians when he did. Why not finish us off and re-arm, regroup etc then hit Stalin. Stalin would have kept, he clearly never saw it coming.

So yep, Hitler was a div. Fcuker had style though.

Edited to add. Leaving the Africa Corp to rot was the beginning of the end and I think that was his decision.

7. I've long had a theory about WW2. It goes along the lines of Hitler wasn't really responsible for it, even though he invaded Poland. It was actually a conspiracy between Vera Lynn & Glenn Miller so that they could sell the maximum number of records, & they bribed Hitler to take the rap for it. Later the Japs got in on the conspiracy too, & Hirohito was made to look like a ruthless warlord for a few years rather than a botanist.......

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

My opinion too.

9. It might have been a possibility that Stalin would invade first, Our glourious Soviet allies did invade half a dozen countries (including Poland)prior to 1941

10. I think it went to ratshit for the erics when the generals got scared of telling corpral hitler the military truth and started telling him what he wanted to hear
    Wasnt it about 1941 when hitler started listening to phsycics(spelling?)/mystic type people

11. Its a while since I read anything on WW2 so apologise if I get my facts wrong. I was under the assumption that it was his idea to attack through the Ardennes in 1940 whereas his generals wanted to attack through Belgium as the German army did in 1914. Most of his early popularity was gained by the fact that a lot of the early campaigns were his ideas.
    The reason he swung his troops south instead of attacking Moscow was for two reasons, one was to capture the resources in the Caucasus, Hitler was well aware of Germany`s lack of resources during the latter years of WW1 and didn`t want to be caught out again. Secondly the German forces were taking a hell of a lot of casualties clearing urban areas, even small towns were holding them up for many days in some instances, so attacking Moscow at that moment would`ve bled the army dry both in manpower and materiel.
    Its possible that considering the victories he had up to that point he was over optimistic and decided to grab the resources and then whittle away at Moscow in due course, but in the following weeks it became apparent that the bear was far from beaten so he decided then to go for the kill before it was too late.

12. On holiday this summer I got chatting to a Dutch guy about Hitler. He wondered whether Hitler might have enjoyed the same rise to power had he been in Britain in the Thirties. I had to assure him that with that ' tache and the pasted down quiff, he'd have been laughed off the stage. You have to look the part here.

13. Unfortunately we'll never know but Barborossa showed Stalin was taken massively by surprise.

14. True but the boxheads had for the first time a border with the soviets, so it was only a matter of time before one of them decided to strike first.

15. When you look at it makes you wonder why he didn't hit them first before Poland?