So, Vaclav Havel is dead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ciggie, Dec 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nobody in this part of Czech Rep. seems bothered. Not like in the UK when Thatcher finally decides to give up this earthly coil....mind you, at least Havel will meet up with his mate Frank Yappa...cant imagine what musicians will play for Milksnatcher in Hell...Lloyd Webber maybe...not dead yet either, maybe a suicide pact could be organised.
  2. When are you going to die?
    • Like Like x 4
  3. I call from the grave....
  4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Met this Havel bloke briefly a few years back. Had no idea who he was at the time, thought he was 'just another token President'. Found out later he achieved far more than the average figurehead President though.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dont be too sure. A few facts about Mr Cuddly. From a Jewish family who are as rich as a rich thing. Never really had a hard time in Communism for that very reason. Playwright...erm, compared to lots of people who at the time were writing dissident literature... a scribbler. Post comm. got richer and richer. When cancer first reared its head, turned up in a Prague hospital desperately short of equipment,,,,when Mr Teddybear arrived in a private room, so did tons of top quality lifesaving stuff. As soon as he went, so did the equipment. What a pal to the average people. His actual dissident record....3 months in nick and let out....which at the very least implies he did some deals...not exactly Nelson Mandela. However much people on this site want to have a go at me, I have been connected with Czech and Slovakia for about 20 years.... I m not surprised no one round here is particularly bothered Havel has died.
  6. So slag him off if you want to; you're just an oxygen thief anyway...

Reports on the news have it that there is quite a lot of mourning going on, and tributes pouring in. Wencelas Square has flowers and such like piling up.

In simple summary, the former Czechoslavika lived under Nazi rule and then under Communist rule. I pretty sure the general populace preferred Vaclav Havel to either of those. When this sinks in, more people will care. But let's face it, he wasn't Diana Spencer nor a Winston Churchill neither, yet he was still one of the Czech Greats.

Requiscat en pace enternis, old feller...
  7. His political activities resulted in multiple stays in prison, and constant government surveillance and questioning. His longest stay in prison, from June 1979 to January 1984 from Wiki but local knowledge as well.

Strange how many world leaders have heaped praise on him with indeed both Cameron and Hague giving voice. Not sure where you are in the Czech Republic but there is at least one man who was instrumental in making that ability to live in the Czech Republic happen. Think on...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Havel managed more to defeat the Warsaw Pact than BAOR. Sour grapes from some here? :)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Admit it, it's the Jew thing that pisses you and the Czech's off the most, isn't it?
  10. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Sad to hear of Havel passing. I know he did not transform Czech republic on his own, but he was instrumental in the Velvet Revolution.

Its easy to say now that it was effortless the way the country made itself into what it is now, but it was certainly scary at the time. It could have turned nasty.

I feel that a visit to Prague and to paint the tank pink again is necessary as a gesture of remembrance.
  11. That won't ever happen, Van Helsing is dead!