So Tony bLair gets on the podium....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, May 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

And adresses the conference-
    "We have had 9 days of bad press! Do not let it overshadow the 9 years of achievement!"
    So Tone,Just WHAT has Labour achieved in the last 9 years?
    Mmmmmm......

Nope,Can't think of anything.....

Oh,Wait Tone,I've got something!!

Numerous affairs & coverups by Labour Ministers!(Prescott & Blind Pew)
    Tax & Price increases,particulary on fuels!
    Oh,what about the lost boys?You know,the hundreds of illigal & dangerous criminals!
    Charles Clarke!
    Over 100 Servicemen killed & hundreds more injured in your love for Dubbya!(does he give you a reach around at summits? :twisted: )
    Taking us to war on a lie!
    Darling Cheries hair dressing bill!
    Losing voters!

Well Tone,that's all I can think of for now,I'm sure there's much more,Have to ask the lads...
    Over to you!

2. What planet you on? Labour stopped the fuel escalator introduced by tories. The rise in fuel prices is due to the increase in crude oil prices, there have been very very few fuel tax rises.
    Taxes and services or lower taxes and less services? You can't get something for nothing.
    Affairs... Major + currie? They've ALL done it at some point, they're all as bad as each other.
    Charles Clarke - Should be given to the 3rd world as food to help reduce 3rd world hunger. (I live in Norwich south)
    Cherie, we'd give her to a 3rd world country but they'd send her right back: cow

At the end of the day they've done some good, some bad, they've been as sleazy as the last lot *shrug*

(just DON'T use the fuel tax argument, gets little crabby very very worked up)

3. Damn...I thought it might have a webcam link to a sniper scope! :( :wink:

4. It has enabled every Briton every day to "be on television."

Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away
    about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The
    telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston
    made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it,
    moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal
    plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course
    no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How
    often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual
    wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all
    the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted
    to. You had to live--did live, from habit that became instinct--in the
    assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in
    darkness, every movement scrutinized.

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.
    http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100021.txt

5. ummm... that's applicable how? Freedom of information act, continuation of data protection act...

good book though :)

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Rubbish. The fuel tax escalator remains in place - Broon daren't use it, but he always mentions it in his budgets.

True, but the only reason there haven't been more tax rises is because tax is already so high. In any case, the Scottish Thief has introduced over 60 new taxes.

Unfortunately, we seem to be paying more and getting less. Just because Neu Arbeit have more money doesn't mean they'll spend it wisely - vide the NHS, education, immigration, defence, policing, cont. p94.....

The major (!) difference is that neither were in government at the time of their affair. Prescott is in government, and appears to have abused his position. Labour have become substantially sleazier than the last Tory government, especially of late. Considering they were elected in 97 on a 'no more sleaze' ticket this is quite an achievement.

7. fuel escalator has been frozen for years

More money has gone into public services, that's obvious. Waiting times are actually down, they're not down as much as they should be.

"stealth taxes" are nothing new.

There was so much sleaze when the tories were in. The tory MP found with some stockings around his head etc?

As human beings most of them are the lowest of the low (there are some nice ones occasionally), but compare them to each other. Boom and bust with tories. 3 million unemployed under thatcher.

I'm no blairite and generally not an apologist for labour, but I look at what they've done and what they've tried to do and I give them more credit than most of you seem to

oh and they were elected on far more than anti-sleaze. They were elected on their little card of five and other little things called policy. Not even the british public are dumb enough to base all of their votes on sleaze

8. But unlike Prescott there wasn't a woman wearing them at the time :)

9. What has Blair achieved? Just about everything Thatcher would have done if she'd stayed on:

1. The promotion and encouragement of out and out individualism, as opposed to personal and collective social responsibility
    2. The full steam ahead privatisation/outsourcing of public services - and associated rewards/knighthoods for corrupt fat cat bosses (including bent union bosses)
    3. The creeping break up and privatisation of the NHS
    4. The successful transformation of an ailing democracy into a corrupt plutocracy
    5. Keeping MPs, and the political 'elite' sweet with disproportionate expenses/pensions/'working' conditions
    6. The complete destruction of the old Labour party (ironically, Thatcher couldn't have completed the job quite as thoroughly as the 45 minute wonder)
    7. A largely obedient press, that won't rock the boat or ask awkward questions
    8. Voter apathy/disenfranchisement/resentment
    9. A big helping hand in the untimely deaths of thousands of innocent people all over the world
    10. SLEAZE writ large
    11. Er...
    12. That's it

10. Pledge Card #4 - "Your Community Safer"!

8O

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Pledge card #1 - "Tough on immigration"!

8O 8O

Not forgetting, of course, 'Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime' and the promise to improve discipline in schools....

12. Has anyone got one of those pledge cards. It would be interesting to just how they got on.

500 hours spent trying to ban foxhunting and 12 hours spent on Child protection.

13. Only due to the massive hike in tax paid during their first 4 years, remember the petrol strikes. Please note, FACTS follow->

For 1 litre of petrol, the petrol companies currently make 3.4p / litre profit. When you pay 89.9p / litre, 86.5p of that is cost (supply, tax, duty etc). The supply cost from the refineries currently runs at 19.7p / litre. So at 0% tax, the cost is 19.7p. At 100% tax, the cost is 39.4p. At 200% tax, the cost is 59.1p. At 300% tax, the cost is 78.8p. At 340% tax, the cost is 86.5p - add on the 3.4p profit margin and there's your 89.9p litre.

Utter tripe, waiting lists are down only as measured by the current set of Labour inspired targets, remove the targets and look at the real picture and it all gets very nasty. Also note the Gov has also changed how the figures are collated... Not that that would account for any reductions now, would it...... Labour? Spin? Figures.... Nahhh surely not......

True but so many, so quickly and covering such a wide range of items? 60 in 9 years...... plus all the other raises.
    I guess everyone enjoyed the massive hike in their tax allowances in the last budget? Minds you, how dare you expect anything, you are all just tax payers of course......

Yes the Tories had sleaze but at least that lot had the honour to fall on their swords when caught, unlike this lot of tossers.
    Cook, Hoon, Blunkett, Vaz, Prescott, Kinnock, Blunkett again, Jowell, Campbell, Blunkett for the third time, Prescott again, Clarke (bear in mind these are just off the top of my head, I do know there are more) :)

As I recall by the time the Tories were ousted Britain had the strongest economy in the Western world, maybe there were 3 mill un-employed but there were not 1.5 mill claiming invalidity either, another .5 mill on non-jobseekers support

Credit where credit is due..... Detail what exactly have they done? Not a feckin lot, the economy is screwed (check the independant reports into gov finances if you want the facts). This government is fetching us to the verge of bancruptcy. Hope you trust that Brown fella to safegaurd your pension... Not that he's already robbed £5 BILLION from it..........

You wanna bet? Thats what their initial election was based upon... empty promises, according to their own criteria (using un-adjusted figures) they have delivered on 1 promise out of 5. In my line of work I'd be sacked for such a poor performance......

Edited to add a few facts and figures for Crabby to ignore plus numpty spelling et al.

BTW Crabby ever thought of a job in politics I believe a Mr Campbell has stepped down and left a vacancy.........

14. This was one of my O Level books and it had such a profound impact on me that part of me, even now, mistrusts these new flat screen TVs and the desire of the Govt to shut down the analogue TV system and make us all go digital in the next ten years.

Tin-foil hat firmly in place!!!!

Litotes

15. I read Nineteen Eighty-Four when I was thirteen.

The more time goes by the more I marvel at Orwell's powers of prediction.