So to the real sport! The Ashes

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I am cool with the first day so far. Pakistan out for 174. My bum twitched in anticipation of England collapsing in front of a swinging bowling attack.

Jennings played well, but his score wont secure his position. Cook worries me as I think he can lose his wicket easily, but he is doing OK so far.

I would like to see Cook and Root have a masterful partnership. I know that the Great God of Cricket* will now allow them to get out cheaply.

*By the Great God of Cricket I do not mean Geoffrey Boycott.

Time to show what you’re made of young Root.

He’s on home turf and he is worshipped there, so could see something special. Let’s hope so, I do hope cook can stay with him, but won’t hold my breath!

Bat until tea time on day 3. 700 in front and bowl them out for less than 200 again.

Or maybe not...

MB

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Time to show what you’re made of young Root.

He’s on home turf and he is worshipped there, so could see something special. Let’s hope so, I do hope cook can stay with him, but won’t hold my breath!

Bat until tea time on day 3. 700 in front and bowl them out for less than 200 again.

Or maybe not...

MB

817 against Pakistan at Headingley? You are a man of considerable faith. Can you cure my car of a poorly suspension?

However, if England get a decent 50 more before stumps they need fcuking if they eventually lose.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Cook out just before his 50. Poor shot. The bells of hell go ting a ling

And stumps. Shame about cook, but I firmly believe this test is in Joe Roots hands. If he plays like he is capable on his home track he can put this beyond Pakistan. IMH Yorkshire opinion!

MB

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh Malan Nooooooo

We are not at the point where we need fcuking, but another wicket and the lubricant may be deployed.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Vaseline time. Other lubricants are available

First of all we need a more general cricket thread than one referring to The Ashes which we ******* lost dismally.

But yesterday we had the match on at work, and when Pakistan were about 70-some for 7 I was worried that after our first innings Pakistan would enforce the follow on! I was wrong of course. But the attack still allowed the last three to out on a ton. I think Vaughan was right and we should have dropped Broad and kept Wood. Some real, genuine pace might have finished them for about a hundred.

Today has only increased my worries. Yes the two openers are fine. Cooke is the best we still have, and Jennings worked out okay. Dom Bess is now a shoe in for low order bowler cum decentish for a non-all rounder batsman. But the reast of the batsmen just suck. I mean, through a tramps feacally-stained sock. Joe Root did what he always does and went before 50 (if he goes over 50 the stats show he will not go on to make a hundred), Malaan went cheap, amd so on and so on....

I know we can't keep chopping and changing. Cricket is not like football. Players need to work their way into the national side, and then be given a chance. But at least lets pick at some of the best!

Dropping Stoneman was a blessing for the lad. He clearly couldn't cut it, and Jennings deserves more chances, but why were the selectors still taking Ballance to Australia? Where is Vince? Did Moeen Ali suddenly become the worlds worst player overnight?

Perhaps we instead of having a revolving door of players, we need to have aa revolving door of selectors when we lose a series.

Last edited:

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Point noted. Off to create a general cricket thread.

Point noted. Off to create a general cricket thread.
Before you go! I never get the point of a two match series. These two games have been played in a wonderful spirit and it seems a shame to call it quits at 1-1. A third test decider would have been nice. They would have had the time to do so as well, if they didn't have to squeeze in (yet another!) one day series.