So to the real sport! The Ashes

Crane is doing OK, he has been a bit unlucky with some of the fielding positions. Hopefully he improves to a world class player with some good coaching.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Well series over bar the formalities.

Whoever decided to go to Australia without several well rested and fit fast bowlers should be sacked.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
They love genuine quicks in the IPL and Big Bash.

We've got a couple down there at the moment, Tymal Mills ( restricted to T20 by injuries) and Joffra Archer ( not yet eligible for England).

Still never thought I'd see an Ashes series where we didn't have a single bowler capable of pinning a convict or three to the sight screen.

So that's it then. Thanks for coming, England's team were good sports and the Barmy Army a delight.
Look forward to doing it again next time.

Gold coin donation to get in this morning. That’s a dollar or two dollar coin if you aren’t familiar with Aussie. Well worth it to watch you pommies get stuffed.

Proud to be an Australian today!

Not much good to take from the series There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth but basically England were out played in all departments. We need a fast bowler, a dedicated spinner, a No.3 batsman (you could argue we need a new 1,2 &3!) and an all rounder who isn't a punchy twat. Apart from that we need discipline on and off the field.

Have the new England team washed and prepared for the summer will you?!

Not much good to take from the series There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth but basically England were out played in all departments. We need a fast bowler, a dedicated spinner, a No.3 batsman (you could argue we need a new 1,2 &3!) and an all rounder who isn't a punchy twat. Apart from that we need discipline on and off the field.

Have the new England team washed and prepared for the summer will you?!
It is arguable that the all rounder that we have, and who isn't playing for us as a result of being a punchy twat, is as good as he is because of the very combative character that he has and which also makes him a punchy twat. I think what we need for him is a sports psychologist who can teach him to channel his punchy twattishness into on field excellence rather than off field twattery.

It is arguable that the all rounder that we have, and who isn't playing for us as a result of being a punchy twat, is as good as he is because of the very combative character that he has and which also makes him a punchy twat. I think what we need for him is a sports psychologist who can teach him to channel his punchy twattishness into on field excellence rather than off field twattery.
I agree with all of that, however in the modern era of 24 hour "not news" and social media, coupled with the fact of blanket CCTV coverage and every man and his dog having a mobile device, sports stars cannot get away with it these days. Stokes' dismissal from the squad effected everyone involved. I'm not saying England would have won with him, but they might have put up a better fight. I like the guy, he has a bit of Flintoff and even Botham about him. Which was why I was so disappointed in his actions.
It doesn't alter the fact that England were outplayed in all departments this winter. That fact that a decent pace bowler and a number 3 batsman were being talked about as far back as last summer, only raises more concerns about our selectors. The simple fact is, if you can't take 20 wickets in a test match you will never win!

Last edited:
I agree with all of that, however in the modern era of 24 hour "not news" and social media, coupled with the fact of blanket CCTV coverage and every man and his dog having a mobile device, sports stars cannot get away with it these days. Stokes' dismissal from the squad effected everyone involved. I'm not saying England would have won with him, but they might have put up a better fight. I like the guy, he has a bit of Flintoff and even Botham about him. Which I why I was so disappointed in his actions.
It doesn't alter the fact that England were outplayed in all departments this winter. That fact that a decent pace bowler and a number 3 batsman were being talked about as far back as last summer, only raises more concerns about our selectors. The simple fact is, if you can't take 20 wickets in a test match you will never win!
And I agree with all that.

Although I would say that it isn’t necessarily the fault of the selectors - identifying a number three batsman for instance, depends very much on the options available, and it seems to me that there aren’t many options available.

There have been some positives on this tour, but not many. Vince has ability but needs to be coached in shot selection. Unless he gets that sorted, though, he needs to be toast. Malan had a good tour (albeit becoming a debutant at quite an advanced age - so has a limited future with the national side). The young spinner, Crane, was chucked into a no win situation but worked hard and wasn’t hammered in terms of run rate conceded.

But having said all that, I agree that we seriously need to look at the make up of the side. Although a big part of the problem is the explosion in limited overs cricket which simply doesn’t produce longer form, test quality players.

And just as we were debating here at work England's chances in the ODI series:

'MOEEN Ali has enjoyed his best day of England’s tour of Australia, only to be upstaged by Victorian schoolboy Mackenzie Harvey in their one-day warm-up match in Sydney.

'After a disastrous Ashes series, Ali on Thursday claimed a miserly 2-28 from his 10 overs to restrict a youthful Cricket Australia XI to 9-258 in England’s only warm-up match ahead of this summer’s one-day series.

'But the afternoon belonged to the 17-year-old Harvey, who hit a 39-ball half-century against England’s first-choice bowling line-up for the five-match ODI series.

'In his first top-flight senior game, Harvey lifted his fourth ball over third man for six and struck three more maximums at Drummoyne Oval. He was finally stumped off an Adil Rashid wrong’un for 59.'

Now our kids are smashing the Poms

Is this one of the most stupid commentator saying (ie commonly used).

"are looking for early wickets"....

Of course they are looking for early wickets, any wicket at any time!

Right then, back to the proper cricket and New Zealand. 2 tests over the next couple of weeks starting with a stupid day night travesty of a game.

New Zealand won the toss and are currently batting in their first innings.