So this election then...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Biscuits_Brown, Mar 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who's going to win it?

I have to say that I have serious doubts that if it were held in the morning anyone would garner a clear majority. I have yet to hear anyone genuinely enthusiastic about Cameron as PM, other than as relief from Broon and there's still a hell of a lot of "I remember Thatcher! Never again!" Types around (they make my eyes bleed by the way).

So really... NOT what do you want to happen... What do you think WILL happen?

2. Hung Parliament, with any luck. A change of the arrse that's warming the seat won't cut it this time round, we need a radical overhaul of the entire system of government - and that's not going to happen when the main two parties can run an effective cartel on power.

3. Serious answer: Cameron wins with a majority of 10.

Outside chance: Lab/Lib coalition. Conservatives spend the next 4 years convincing themselves that it's not them, it's the electorate.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Agreed.

5. I have a horrible feeling hung parliament with Labour having most seats.

Regrettably, I think Parapauk is right that the Conservatives will be blaming anyone but themselves for not gaining power. Cameron isn't going to win just by not being Brown; it didn't work for Kerry against Bush either.

The intrinsic bias of the current boundary set-up will undoubtedly assist Labour. See below for duty whinging:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/geraldwarner/5207388/Britains_electoral_system_unfairly_gerrymandered_in_favour_of_Labour/

That said, if you believe the attached (and quite old) article, the Conservatives adherence to FPTP is also to blame:

http://www.makemyvotecount.org.uk/blog/archives/2005/10/clowns_to_the_l.html

6. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only thing that would sort out the UK would be civil war. Sticking plasters from any parliamentary party is going to achieve nothing. As an analogy, it's like using a cycle wheel with the odd spoke missing...... unless overhauled or a new wheel is in place it will deteriorate exponentially. I'm not a Luddite but the whole edifice needs taking down and rebuilding.

7. If Clegg gets into bed with those NuLab bastards, I shall be having very stern words with him indeed.

All the best,

John.

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Don't confuse civil war with a putsche or revolution. They are different things you know old bean.

Personally, apart from the chavs, junkies, drug dealers and other assorted scum, like politicians, lawyers, medjia, foreigners, doleys, jocks, welsh, oirish, pikeys, traffic wardens, civil serpents, councillors and paedos, I quite like the people of this country.

Civil wars are such messy affairs when compared to a relatively bloodless putsche, followed by an efficient cull . . . .

9. I have to agree that a Hung Parliment is looking more a reality, I also agree the whole system needs a overhaul as the gravy train has been going on far too long,

Even wih the expenses row a certain % of MP's are either arrogant, ignorant or could'nt give a fig as they've set themselves up outside HoP anyway, many stepping down due to new rules & regs,

All the in-house bitching is really hacking off the public & I believe were see a very low turn out OR many voting for the minority Parties due to failed promises by others.

10. The country needs Cyclops to put a date on the election, that way we will start to get policies from the parties.
    All this will he/ won't he, when he's ready is doing the markets no good and our (the countries) credit rating is looking worse by the day.
    Osborne[sp] was on 5live today and as much as VD pressed him on what the tories are going to do regarding tax, he cwouldn't give an answer because if its half decent Cyclops would halfinch it and pass it off as his own, and he has previous on this.

CG

11. I think when push comes to shove , most people will vote this govt out , rather than to vote the Tories in . I cannot understand why the Tories are not being radical .If they promised a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty , it would take the wind of UKIP's sails altogether.If they said they would seriously consider withdrawing from the 1954 Hague Convention on Refugees it would completely take the wind out of the BNP.If they told the sceptics that we are no longer their poodles and are pulling out of Afghan , even half the Left would vote for them. If they then promised to dismantle the entire edifice of Quangos , the Big Brother state , petty and unnecessary regulation and environmental stealth taxes , most of middle England would vote for them. Sadly , none of the above will happen.Conservative overall majority of about 30 , because a lot of Lib dems will lose their seats too.

12. Thing with most/all of those points.. All the parties that you will see govern this nation in your lifetime (without recourse to a putsch) agree on them. Your voting choice it like it or be a number scribed alongside the words "lost deposit" on a tally. Yeah, maybe we will see a couple of seats go to 'minor' parties this time. Although I'd hazard they may not be the fringe parties that the bulk of Arrsers "wouldn't mind" getting a rattle.

13. The bulk of the people will mark their ballot 'None of the above' :D :twisted:

No.9

14. I'm from mining stock and I'll never vote Tory as long as I have a hole in my arse but I keep having nightmares that the Tories might win. Then I see George Osbourn's odious visage and get some comfort from thinking that the man is such an utter c0ck that there's no way they'll get in.

Labour need a smaller percentage of the vote than the Conservatives. I reckon it'll either be a hung parliament, in which case the incumbant gets first go at forming a Govt or we'll be looking at a Lib/Lab pact as Broon tempts Clegg across with a promise of electoral reform & Vince Cage as Chancellor.

I smile inwardly and grow erect in my pants as I wait for the Tories to self destruct if either hypothesis occurs.

15. Hung parliament will set the entire government up for a fall.

The markets are only lending us the £200Bn or so because they expect to get it back (with interest of course!) from the conservatives over the next 10 years.

The more that it appears to be a hung parliament, the less chance of it happening. The markets will shake the Sterling tree until Gordon falls off.