So there are January, May and September intakes?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by P-Ride, Jul 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have scheduled myself to get in to Sandhurst's May intake.

I would like to continue to aim for this, but I am also taking a journalism NCTJ course from this September until February, which runs 4 days a week - and will reduce my available time for fitness training.

Ideally, it would be great to know that if I didn't get in for May, I could go straight in to try for the September entry. However, I am aware they give you a minimum period of 6 months before attempting re-entry (can it be longer?).

So even though the course starts only 4 months later, a failed first entry could result in not being eligible to re-apply until I would be in the running for January's intake.

So the question is:

- Do I take a risk and aim for May, knowing that if I was unsuccessful it might be January until I could expect to have another go.

- Do I take a more measured approach and wait to go in next September?

What do you think - and have I correctly understood this information?

2. Get a Main Board date that gives you enough time to get fit enough between now and that date first of all. Once/If you pass, you can then choose any intake date you wish to Sandhurst within the next few years, so long as it's not overbooked. Hope that makes sense

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Obviously I don't know your lifestyle, but from what you have said I find it difficult to see how you can't get a fitness programme working. You will be doing an academic course 4 days per week and presumably have to do some work outwith those hours also. But it wont be 24 hour per day courses, gyms open early and close late to cater for working people, road runs can be done and used for thinking time (I admit it is difficult to write down notes then :D ).

I suppose what I am coming to is do you really have a commitment to get yourself to Sandhurst? Do you really want to do this? If you do you will find the time to get yourself fit and maintain that standard.

4. Am I correct in concluding that it is far better to be conservative in my estimates, and aim possibly one Sandhurst entrance later than I initially planned? Is it really a minimum 6 month (and therefore until February) waiting time?

EDIT: Saw the second post, give me a min!

5. Auld Yin,

The 4 days will be waking up at around 0600-0630 in order to be in London on time, and when I return I will have to be practising my shorthand for the NCTJ as well.

I can definitely do fitness on my remaining 3 days - whether I can fit some in the two days before remains to be seen, I won't know until I get my timetable.

I need my driving licence too - as getting to the gym without one is not easy. I have a test booked early September, which I am hopeful for.

I am firmly fixed on getting into Sandhurst - Some people in the forum have made AOSB sound more challenging then perhaps it is, but I have a couple of areas regarding jumping and pull-ups that I am concerned about.

The real issue is: Is the time penalty for not passing your first AOSB bigger than the time I would be waiting to try for the next Sandhurst entrance? I want to be ready to make a good impression whenever I am there.

Thanks

6. I'm in a bit of a rush but you can easily fit a fitness routine in there. Man the hell up ;)

Takes 10mins to do 1.5miles. 6 mins for pressups/situps.

7. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I don't think so.

AOSB insists that you wait 6 months after failing Main Board before trying again. AOSB is a separate process to Sandhurst - ie Sandhurst intakes are not linked to specific AOSB boards or periods.

You can take Main Board tomorrow and, if you pass, you can then go to Sandhurst anytime from tomorrow until you hit your 29th birthday.

Once you have passed AOSB you cannot 'fail' Sandhurst entry - you either turn up to start the course or you don't.

If you're fit enough to get 10.2 on the bleep test, do the requisite pressups & situps, and get round the assault course, book yourself on the Main Board tomorrow. You'll hopfully get a place sometime around September after summer leave. It's not hard to get up to speed on current affairs and so on in that time, at least to the quality that they expect. That way, even if you fail and have to wait six months, you could still get into the May intake by doing a Main Board in March time.

Also...

Fair enough, it's not ideal. But you're signing up for a year when you are going to be living between 0530-0000, or worse, periods out in the field where you'll see an hour's sleep a night if you're lucky. With these exhausting hours, you'll still be expected to do plenty of phys.

Point is: it's far from impossible, and may even be good practice.

8. Auld Yin,

The 4 days will be waking up at around 0600-0630 in order to be in London on time, and when I return I will have to be practising my shorthand for the NCTJ as well.

I can definitely do fitness on my remaining 3 days - whether I can fit some in the two days before remains to be seen, I won't know until I get my timetable.

I need my driving licence too - as getting to the gym without one is not easy. I have a test booked early September, which I am hopeful for.

I am firmly fixed on getting into Sandhurst - Some people in the forum have made AOSB sound more challenging then perhaps it is, but I have a couple of areas regarding jumping and pull-ups that I am concerned about.

The real issue is: Is the time penalty for not passing your first AOSB bigger than the time I would be waiting to try for the next Sandhurst entrance? I want to be ready to make a good impression whenever I am there.

Thanks

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think amigo and sarastro have given you your answer.

10. Sorry I'm not sure what happened there, I'm in Mauritius and the internet is rubbish - it seems to have put my post up again later.

Taita and Sarastro - fair enough, you're right, it will be a good challenge.

If you fail main board, do you definitely get 6 months to try again? Or is it sometimes longer?

I think meeting my recruitment officer when I get back will clear a lot of things up - I think I'm just going to get my head down, drop all entertainment and work my ass off on this. Even if I don't get in first time, 6 months to try again doesn't sound bad.

Are the 2 year periods handed out to 18 year olds?

I'm pretty confident I have the basic things they are looking for, but some areas need bringing up to scratch.

- Current Affairs is my strongest area as I study Politics and have been training as a journalist.
    - Fitness is generally good, push-ups are coming along nicely - I just need to sort out this bleep test.

So it sounds like I should go to do this AOSB asap I think.

Thanks

11. The minimum time you have to wait is 6 months, if you need or want longer to prepare for the retake then that is up to you and is not specified by Westbury.

As you say, do AOSB as soon as you feel you are prepared, I went at the beginning of June hoping for a September intake but RMAS was already fully booked. I failed unfortunately so the soonest I can do it again is in December, hopefully starting at RMAS in May if successful. Considering I first applied in October last year the whole process, including a fail at AOSB, will have taken 19 months. Had I passed it would have taken 14 months starting at Sandhurst December '09. Obviously everyone's application will be different but hope that helps with clarifying time frames, if not PM me and will try help out.