So is Northern Ireland Chav central?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Jul 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I've just watched Soldiers Stories, Northern Ireland, and while I had forgotten my time out there (it blurred into dull days by dull people), 1993-95, its re-awakened my memories of the tip. Why did we bother?

In light of recent gaza inspired chavness, riots by savages who claim civilisation because they are close to the UK.

Why the hell do we let this shithole be associated with us any longer, cut the third world banana country free, I spent years there and am ashamed that they call themselves UK citizens.

I've lived in Africa and to be honest its more worthy than this dump, better weather too.

Make NI independent and let them make their own way. Let the EU look after them, wasters, from all sides.

2. If you could be a little more specific you will see that the people who have upset you most certainly do not call themselves "UK citizens", nor would any civilised country consider them useful "citizens"

That is the prerogative of the eighty five to ninety per cent who just want to get along with their lives on a daily basis - just like those in Newcastle or Bristol or other parts of the UK.

By the way Winston Churchill was of the same opinion as you - until that little fracas which began in 1939.

3. In 1938, the UK naval bases in Ireland granted under the 1922 Treaty were returned to the Republic.

In 1940, Churchill needed those bases back rather urgently, and offered DeValera the six counties if Britain won the war. Oddly, Dev (and Dev, did odd and awkward the best) refused the offer, even though he fought a civil war over the same issue in 1922!

Clearly, he could see that it would be a millstone around his neck. Or maybe he thought/hoped Germany would win?

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Pretty sure the Long Fool would have done it just to spite Churchill. And yes, I would imagine he was sure that the Nazis would win. It's not surprising how many Nazis managed to find long-term refuge in Ireland afterwards, while he was in charge.

5. Dev? Dev was a cnut. A rugby football playing cnut (full-back for Munster bless his dark satanic heart) but a cnut nevertheless!

6. I don't think Churchill was entirely "honest" with De Valera. He wanted the Treaty Ports of course but knew that any agreement made in 1940 ( and it was a secret - and more or less verbal - agreement), would be affected by changing circumstances well outwith the knowledge or imagination of anyone involved. . Churchill had no more idea in 1940 than anyone else when and how the conflict would end.
    The odds in fact were with the Nazi's at that point - I wonder how De Valera would have coped with a German speaking Ireland!

Northern Ireland went on to become the second "unsinkable aircraft carrier" by providing air bases to support the defences of the North Atlantic. The much derided "six counties" also played host to American servicemen well before anyone realised this was happening.
    De Valera is on record as making a formal protest to the US and British governments for permitting "foreign", i.e US troops, on Irish soil as they disembarked in Belfast. What a strange man! The US told him - politely no doubt - to FO.
    When at the close of the conflict he visited the German Legation in Dublin to sign the book of condolence on the death of Hitler the US administration refused to communicate with him for years, adding to his country's isolation in the post-war era. The British Government was a little more tolerant, recognising that thousands of men and women from Eire (its name then) had fought and died for the allied cause. Sadly their own country refused to acknowledge this sacrifice until recently.

7. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Aw not this shite again. Yes of course your considered opinion and carefully crafted views are important to us. Please keep holding until someone who cares gets back to you. And I'm very sorry you live in a dump.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Thanks for that skid, you're a bit confused though, I don't live in NI any more, duh!

9. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Missed my pills this morning it was the line 'I've lived in Africa and to be honest it's more worthy than this dump.......' Of course if you had said 'that dump' I would have agreed wholeheartedly and immediately thought of a hole some thirty one miles away from where I'm sitting. Weather's pretty good, not great but good which is a start.

10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Ahh so youre from the Province, I'm sure you're a good citizen, you know like those communities, 85% I think you said, who are good people, those good people who called the Police to report who the rioters were. Don't insult the rest of us and tell us the locals didn't know who little Jimmy was throwing petrol bombs and stones, busy looting local businesses. That's not good people, that's third world tribal savages.

Sorry about the there here thing, NI was still a waste of effort, even today it contributes nothing.

I'm willing to be corrected, but what does the Province bring to the UK even today?

11. Eamon Holmes, that chubby bird on morning TV, and that lovely couple, the Right Honourable Ian Richard Kyle Paisley, Baron Bannside PC and his wife, Eileen Emily Paisley, Baroness Paisley of St George's. What an asset to the House of Lords they both are.

12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Flamingo, my apologies, Eamon Holmes, the fatty with the famous Irish sense of humour :D sorry but I've never heard of the rest of them :-(

13. Yes, because the criminal gangs, slums, druggies and benefit fatties living in Liverpool, Manchester, London, most of Scotland etc. are worth so much more of our attention. What do you suggest they bring to the UK that makes them better than a tiny percentage of NI people who riot?

What a boring thread. Too the hole I say!!!

14. What do you mean you've never heard Ian Paisley? He doesn't need a megaphone, and even he doesn't get a word in when his mrs starts nagging him! :)

15. Senior member..111 posts..??..three 'gongs'..??..WTF...What does that make 'Ord-Sgt' with 8000+ posts...