So is it true that they teach you how to drive?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Leftover, Jul 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used the search but couldn't find what I wanted to know.
    So would they teach people who are going Infantry to drive, or would that just be for REME and the like?
  2. Considering the infantry uses vehicles, I would assume so, but I know there are courses to go on for that.
  3. What's wrong with walking?
  4. Might twist our ankle on a rock.
  5. the infamous twisted sock!!!

yes you can get taught to drive. Who the feck do you think drives in your units???
  6. Drivers?
  7. Yes, Infantry can get taught to drive. Almost definite if you are in MT for obvious reasons, but other departments and troops will also require driving.

If you are selected to be a Warrior driver, you get your H licence (veh steered by tracks) AND your B (car) at the same time.

Don´t expect to be taught in training or when you first rock up at your first unit mind.
  8. Best off getting your cat B before you join matey, they try and get everyone through it, but it obviousely goes in order of seniority, still not got mine yet as im a crow-bag and ive only been in 2 years.
  9. Yes, you'll be taught to drive. However, you've heard of COs driver? Well, your Unit CO will chauffer you around until you get your own license. Military tradition I believe.
  10. You paid for that book yet lizard lips?
  11. Bet he thought we had forgotten :)
  12. And does my presence still intimidate you ?
  13. Hang on, i'll just go and check the latest 'Bradshaw-ometer'.

The latest reading says 'Thieving, cheque-bouncing toe rag' but it's been like that for over a year.
  14. Certain non-army regiment gives you your license ASAP
  15. Are you going to pay Convoy-Cock for the book he sent you?