SO Ireland then good for the UK to bail 'em out?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by pacestick, Nov 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ding Ding - outrage bus anyone

So there's talk that the UK should bail out the Oirish economy and not the Eurozone types that kindly paid that tribute to Greece (wankers).. There's various news threads about and it's been all over the Jeremy Vine show with the usual soft shits saying we should. Personally i'm not surprised, the Bank of Ireland seems to give money away like sweets - there's an oil company heavily backed by the bank and most people wonder where the hell the monies coming from!

I've stuck this in the NAffi as it's arrse and it will inevitbly turn into a slaggin match which i'm all for..
  2. Any links to this?
  3. I wondered about all this bail out of banks (Eire owns the Post Office for one) and financial establishments, including whole countries. I took a short sighted bigoted view, oh no that's right I didnt, instead I went and enquired about the economic situation and reason behind taxpayers money bailing out institutions to the tune of billions.

I would explain it, but I think it would be wasted on a cock like you. I bet you're the sort of person who begrudges aid to babies and children in Pakistan.
  4. we could buy ireland and install tony and his fragant wife in dublin as govenour general what could possibly go long?:)
  5. The irony being that we could say to the Republicans "There you go, a united Ireland".

6. You should have saved the time and effort by posting in the Hole.
  7. no internet links about the UK bailout side - this was more the Jermey Vine show outrage'athon at lunch - had a strange mix of English "ladies" saying we should, yet the Oirish listeners saying yeah we're a bunch of unts(c) it's our own fault.. strange really.
  8. plus if they kill tony we can all rejoice :)
    although the evil terrorists will be wise to that and give him a bodyguard can't have the brits feeling good
  9. \And JV said we have to bail them out because of the potato famine FFS
  10. dingerr you cunt, i understand the effect of institutions falling over and the knock on effects, but lets be honest for one moment- the Bank of Ireland that is nigh on broke, keeps on lending money to people that have no ability to pay it back - we're not talking just the odd few thousands here on mortgages (of which there are plenty) - we're talking millions of pounds used in corporate takeovers that have no possible form of viability, not to mention issues with the monoploies commision..

Ireland has had billions of € pumped into it's economy from brussels for years mostly in infrastructure - ireland is almost like a pet project for the EU - the EU as a collective can bail it out in that case.. oh but hold on the Germans are kicking up fuss due to the amount of money they used to bail out Greece..

I only do a small, amount of business with ireland in the oil industry yet i still get to see how a lot of things are done - and not exactly legally!
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Er, I'm going to wade into this debate with a "Who gives a fuck if the Oirish fall flat on their faces? It's not going to affect the UK, or for that matter, anywhere else in the world."

How's that?

Tell you what, I'll go one better: The Oirish gobment told the world that they would honour all bank/consumer debts to the tune of 100% of all liabilities. This they did, flying in the face of every other EU country and the EU itself saying "Hang on old son, that's protectionism of the worst kind right now, because you're only doing to get the banks in your part of the world chucking money your way, and more importantly lending to each other and the people again - which gives you an unfair advantage."

Oireland said "Yeah, so what, we have to in this toime o'croisis".

Now we, as in the British, have to bail them out because the EU says so? Fuck'em! They made their bed, let them lie in it. If they want funds, they signed up to the Treaty, they are eligible for World Bank funding and also IMF.
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Why not close it's tax loop holes?
    Tax Saint Bono the rest of U2 and all the others living there whilst hiding their tax offshore

Saint Bono is always banging on about Poverty let him help aren't the Oirish "the blacks of Europe"
  13. +1 Biped. Couldn't agree more.
  14. The UK hasn't the money to bail out anyone! Don't you people read the papers?
  15. Calm down Loootenant Dan!

I doubt very much you read anything about the Irish situation, and if you did then you are clearly thicker than a tap dancer in a minefield.

What Greece and Ireland should have done was to say to the (mainly) German and French banks that owned all the bonds "you took a punt and lost. Unlucky." One of the principle rules of capitalism is that there cannot be reward without risk. The Irish banks should have defaulted, been liquidated/sold/split up amongst the creditors and the deposits of their account holders protected. The shareholders should have been told to go forth...

...but most of these were the same German and French banks that had the EUR 50 billion in bonds that matured last month.

Simply stated, because you are hard of thinking, companies that screw up (like the Irish banks) deserve to go under. Those people that invest in them (bond holders, shareholders) also deserve to loose their shirts for backing a dog because the returns were very attractive (i.e. too good to be true). Thus the Irish taxpayer wouldn't have had to reach into their pockets.

Understand, or should I reduce it to words of one syllable for you Lootenant Dan?