So, Infantry, or Paras?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by conure, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry If they're the same thing almost, but the only difference between infantry and the paras ( P Company?) is that the P company occasionally do parachuting! (Yep, thats how damn ignorant I am of it all!)

Basically as stated in another post, my interview is coming up and I need to have decided where I want to head when I pass my selection (And pass it I will)
    I don't have a particular fear of parachuting I hope (having never done it) other than the rational "bollocks, I'm about to jump out of a bloody plane" thing..

So whats the real difference? I've read books and accounts of both the infantry and paras, and they seem pretty similar, infact I havn't read one book involving the paras in which they jumped, outside of training!
    I did hear that the paras are one of the best units, which is what I was drawn to, is this bollocks, or are they very good?
    Is the training for both the infantry and the paras very similar?

Cheers, Luke
  2. Conure,

The Combat Infantryman's Course is the basic training for the infantry: there is CIC (PARA) which includes pre-parachute selection in the middle and when you have completed the CIC(PARA) you go and do the jumps course. If you should fail the pre-para selection or cannot jump you will be able to transfer to another infantry regiment without too much difficulty.

The different roles in the infantry are many and varied: if you are set on the Parachute Regiment you should read into some of their origins and history (as this will go some way to explain their ethos - which is different from regiment to regiment) - cunning titles like 'Red Devils' and 'The Paras' should give you a good insight. There are some books written following the Falklands campaign (including 'Green Eyed Boys') that will give you a different feel.

PS Don't get a PARA tattoo just yet! :wink:

Good Luck
  3. im ex queens and then transfered to para,the only real difference is para have a higher fitness level,which personally i think all infantry should have,apart from that there no better or worse
  4. Right then i'l try to answer your questions as best as i can, by the way you have to make your job choices before you attend RSC (Recruit Selection). I would also like to point out that i am not serving in Army, i am joining in the paras in july. Therefore i cant really give a interpretation on what the paras are really like. But i'l just give you some backround info on the paras and why ive chosen the paras.

Training for the paras is conducted in ITC Catterick and is 26 weeks long, followed by 4 weeks of Parachute Training At Brize norton. Training is conducted by para staff and training is 'arguably the toughest and most proffesional in the world today'.

You seem to be confused what P-coy is. At week 19 you'l undergo the Pre-Parachute selection test which is P-coy for short. You have to pass p-coy to get into the paras or to join one of the numberous units attached to it, for example Royal Engineers have 9 squadron attached to the paras. P-coy lasts one week and consists of 8 events.

-The Steeple Chase
    -The Trainasium - Ariel confidence test
    -Log Race
    -Stretcher Race
    -10 Mile March
    -20 Mile Endurance March
    -2 Mile Battle March
  5. Ah okay, and..whats the hardest part of all those things you listed? I know you havn't done it yet, but any idea which is meant to be hardest?
  6. HAHA - is that where they give you some soap powder and see if you have the confidence to do some washing with it? Aerial my friend - now we all know why you're joining the PARA Regt. :p :lol:
  7. If you have your heart set on the INF good for you . Have you given Formation Recce a look . Ok we do have Tracked vehicals but a lot of our job is dis-mounted . We carry out a lot of Inf type training the difference being we use smaller numbers (no section attacks ) , we carry out lots of CTR's and OP's . Snipers ,FAC's there are a whole host of trades you can pick up in recce . If your heart is set on the Inf then good for you at least your in the real army and not some ''in the rear with all the beer'' unit but there is more to being a fighting soldier than Infantry . Good luck where ever you go .
  8. Conure - go to the Paras website. This will tell you all you need to know. Somewhere on there is a useful fizz programme, which should set you on the right lines.

Don't worry about the 'hardest' of the P-Coy events; bear in mind that the week is a cumulative test - usually with two events run a day. So being able to dance around on 60ft scaffolding will not necessarily mean that you (yet) have the ability to pass PPS. Even the ability to do the 20-miler on its own doesnt necissarily mean that.

Also - are you referring to TA or Reg PARA? Same regiment, but with the TA, you have to beast yourself on fizz monday-friday, whereas at Sunny Catterick you have Cpls around full time to assist.

On the entry side, if you are set on the Paras, spend time on their website learning regimental history - that way, when you have an interview with their recruiting staff, you will sound keen, and they will want you, which is as important as you wanting to join them. Finally - I dont know much about being a Para, but I know enough about being a Para recruit... and there are plenty of people round here to ask. PM around.

Good luck, and drink plenty of water.
  9. Thanks a lot for the advice! Not particularly afraid of heights, but jumping around on scaffolding? I remember reading that in a book called...oh god..what was it called..ehh, I don't remember, but it was about a guy who went from 2 para to the SAS, the training looked hard, I'm hoping if I do get through everything I have to, by the time I'm told to jump out a plane I won't have any worries doing it. I'm just hoping there will be other recruits close to pissing themselves with fear at the time..

Oh well, heres to getting fit, and not being afraid to walk around on scaffolding high, high up..
  10. Ive spoken to numerous paras about P-coy and all of them bar 1 said that they found the hardest event was the Log race.

This is a 1.8 Mile course up over loadz of hills and is a real killer. Along with the stretcher race if you come off the log/stretcher you will most likely fail p-coy.

The other para said that he found the stretcher race the hardest. This is over 5 miles of hills.

However he said that he found this the most difficult because of his height. He was about 5"5 and the stretcher kept on bouncing on his shoulder because of the unbalance of height in the team.
  11. The correct terminology for the tranasium is the ARIEL confidence test. It says in the brochure on the paras i have and also on their website:

Have a look at where it says tranasium 'my friend'
  12. Conure,

As recce cpl said have a look at all the other units first, read and get as much information as you can, and then you decide. Go with your heart mate.

As for worrying about p-coy or parachuting. Well, P-coy isnt until week 19 so you'l be fit as fcuk and your fitness will be of a standard to complete p-coy. As for worrying about heights you get some time practicing on the trainasium before p-coy in the weeks leading up.

And for parachuting, a para told me that for the last 26 weeks you would have been through so much shit you will do anything. so most get through the Brize course.

If your still keen on joining the paras, have a look at the

Para Insight Course

Ive been on it twice and its a real good crack.

May aswell tell you the requirements for paras when attending RSC aswell.

1.5 Mile warm up followed by 1.5 best effort (BFT)- Need under 9.18 but wanna be looking at under 9 min

Heaves (Pullups, underarm grasp)- Should be looking at around 10 for good score but i have known lads with only 5 heaves who have passed for para regt.

Jerry can- Walk with 2 jerrycans full of water weighing 20k i think, for about 180 metres with the pti. for para regt you must complete it all. Pretty simple

Static Lift- Lift a bar thing shows how much you can lift at one time, pretty simple not sure what score required is.

Back Extension- Again pretty simple, measures how much weight can take when carrying a bergan i believe

55 K Lift- For all infantry units you need to lift 55kg to 1.45 metres (Height of 4 tonne truck. Sounds harder than it is, pretty simple

Hope this help.
  13. I think you'll find that Ariel is the third largest moon of Uranus and an ariel is a kind of gazelle: the word you are looking for is aerial (in terms of extending high into the air)... I am afraid the spool chucker didn't understand the difference :wink: - the website has a spelling mistake on it!
  14. Hardest event? Log race undisputedly

You tit.
  15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

My new friend - about to be - teeth arm warrior. In whatever you strive for try to be the best, and, no issues with the Inf, but go Para. I suspect that the US Para's in the 503rd (506th?) - Band of brothers anyway - put it best "if I'm going into combat I want the best soldiers around me [and the best officers behind me]". Join the best possible unit you can and give 100%, of such things heroes are made of and you may just get a piece of Russian artillery stuck on your chest (VC).

Infantry and Para's and Marines have one thing in common. The rest of the forces are remfs. There is a common enough brotherhood that when you stand in front of another warrior you will know...

PS. Log-race is a nightmare but not very long. Grin and bare it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.