so im looking to join REME....

Discussion in 'REME' started by majesticman, Jan 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. first of all sorry if i posted in wrong forum, just joined forum and im looking for a bit of info from people who may know the answer...

ok, so i passed selection and everything and passed for all the jobs i wanted to do on my BARB test but at selection they say my eyesight isn't good enough to do my 1st and 2nd choices which were vehicle mechanic in the REME and royal signals electrician, my 3rd choice was dog handler and i could do that but that's EXTREMELY hard to get into and i only really put it down as a filler choice as i expected to get into one of my first two.

now the kicker is i can get into the infantry just fine but i really want to do a trade, that's why i picked vehicle mech and electrican as my first two choices, now i just want to know why the eyesight standards are so high for reme vehicle mechanic? im sure there is short sighted guys in the REME already so i find it strange i can do infantry (where eyesight would count more i would of thought) and i cant do vechicle mechanic in the REME.

anyone explain this to me or have any thoughts on it?

and to clarify im not completely blind or anything, im just short sighted and wear glasses for it.

again sorry if wrong forum.

2. Is this a wah !!!!!

Eyesight too poor to spanner but fine to fire a weapon.

P.S. You still fire a weapon regardless of trade/arm etc.

3. Are you sure you didnt walk into the butchers instead of the Carrers office and they are pulling your leg ???

4. Welcome to Arrse, Majesticman.

Eyesight or colour perception???? Are you colour blind?

Did you listen to what they told you? Do you have a letter telling you the results of your medical?

Litotes

5. i know i will do at least 14 weeks basic training and need to know how to fire a weapon regardless of what job i eventually do in the army, i just find it complete bull that i can get into the infantry but not the REME with my current eyesight standards.

and unless my local butchers is staffed by big burly men in army uniform then i think i had the right place mate.

6. not colour blind, just my general eyesight. i can see down to the 2nd bottom line wearing glasses (just cant see the smallest) on the eyesight chart so im not completely blind or anything and no i don't have a letter regarding my medical.

7. Eyesight sounds pretty good to me in general terms (I don't think that I can read the penultimate line even with specs....).

Ask the ACIO for a letter detailing why you can't have the trades you have requested. Alternatively, take whatever they offer and ask to transfer once you have passed basic training (which you can do, provided you qualify....).

Litotes

8. Speaking from experience, you've been had my ole china! Sounds as though you have been selected for the fodder line! I can assure you personally that it dont matter what your fuckin eyesight is like. The REME will employ you, go to a different carers office and speak to someone else. In fact forget about the Army careers office and join the Royal Navy or RAF if want to be a VM. If you join the REME as a VM all you will do is struggle with the day to day running of poorly equipped, manned workshops with equipment thats over inspected, serviced and managed on a complete shower of shit computer system! Failing that stay on civvy street and get a trade there.

Its a wonder the Army hasn't been taken to court for false advertising!

9. Yes, that JAMES has a lot to answer for.

10. Another excellent advert for anyone wishing to join the elite of the British Army.

11. Like Guns, Love Travelling to exotic climates, if so, then trade for you is..........Armourer.

12. if you think thats bad look at the poster aboves posts, he claims to be an art weps

13. Sounds more like an advert for a full frontal lobotomy to me.

14. Uh oh, I hope we're not ranting again :cry:

15. Majesticman, don't take any notice of the derogatory comments on this thread - I failed my medical on the eye test and had to get glasses before they would let me join. Some trades are restricted to you if you are colour blind, that's all. What you will find is, whatever trade you go for, you will get a first class training, work with some excellent people (OK, there are a fair few pr1cks around, but you get them anywhere) and gain experience and knowhow that will set you up for life and have a few laughs and adventures along the way.

CplBadboyUK
    'If you join the REME as a VM all you will do is struggle with the day to day running of poorly equipped, manned workshops with equipment thats over inspected, serviced and managed on a complete shower of s*** computer system! Failing that stay on civvy street and get a trade there.'

What fcuking Army did you think you'd joined - the bloody yanks? The Army has been run on a shoestring for decades - get over it and get used to it or leave, it ain't going to change!