So if you needed to protect yourself from polar bears?

The Canadian Rangers are still issued Lee Enfield No.4s - I hope they get 215 grain ammunition for them!

I would think that 303 is a bit marginal for use on an 800 - 1500lb carnivore intent on eating you. What would be optimum?

How far have you got to carry it?

I'd guess that a 12-bore firing a slug would probably be a pretty good compromise.

12 bore semi-automatic, firing 300 grain sabot slugs.

...and a flamethrower.

Well k98k seems a common choice in svalbard, although the sysselmannen (policeman/ranger guys) carry rather large revolvers as well as their rifle. Personally i would say an AKs47. Its not as powerful but you know it will fire first time and you would be able to get a couple more rounds in before the thing is eating you. If you miss with a bolt action you would not get a second chance, and in arctic temps in a whiteout missing is a very real possibility.

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Moisin Nagant M44 carbine - big **** off round - fine for 100 meters - works in snow - costs $85.00

The problem with the solid shotgun slug is that that Bear needs to be quite close when you fire! 50m or less!!
A 3 inch magnum slug fired from a Mossburg 500 goes a hell of a lot further than 50 mtrs, think more like 200, and you can have 8 of the little darlings going down rang in next to no time, my load would be slug, OO Buckshot, Slug, never did a bear with it but it sure stops wildboar,

12 bore semi-automatic, firing 300 grain sabot slugs.
...and a flamethrower.
I have never had to do it, thank god, but that's what I would take. Polar bears give no warning of an attack, but as the only warm thing on the stretch of tundra, I would rather assume I was lunch until proven otherwise.

The Canadian Rangers are still issued Lee Enfield No.4s - I hope they get 215 grain ammunition for them!

I would think that 303 is a bit marginal for use on an 800 - 1500lb carnivore intent on eating you. What would be optimum?

A 3 inch magnum slug fired from a Mossburg 500 goes a hell of a lot further than 50 mtrs, think more like 200, and you can have 8 of the little darlings going down rang in next to no time, my load would be slug, OO Buckshot, Slug, never did a bear with it but it sure stops wildboar,
It might go that far but you'd have bob all hope of hitting anything with it. I can't get slug to group at 110m!

A 3 inch magnum slug fired from a Mossburg 500 goes a hell of a lot further than 50 mtrs, think more like 200, and you can have 8 of the little darlings going down rang in next to no time, my load would be slug, OO Buckshot, Slug
I have no doubt about the range of the slug, its the accuracy of the weapon. I have fired slugs and have lots of buddys who hunt with them. Its really hard to hit anything over 50m, particularly a moving white Bear charging, with a white background that wants to eat you !

The Buck shot would maybe piss the Bear off and thats about it!!!

Personally I would take something like an SLR or M14!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A giant penguin suit,while the polar ponders what the fcuk it is you can make your escape.
It would work out how to get the wrapper off eventually

I have no doubt about the range of the slug, its the accuracy of the weapon. I have fired slugs and have lots of buddys who hunt with them. Its really hard to hit anything over 50m, particularly a moving white Bear charging, with a white background that wants to eat you !
Rifled barrel and sabot slugs will group quite nicely at 100yds, and retains most of it's very considerable muzzle energy (over 3000 ft-lbs) up to this point.

Also bear in mind (geddit?) that as the beasts haven't got the hang of fire support yet, most attacks happen at close range. I'll wager very few folk ever shoot to kill a bear at much over 50yds unless they're hunting.

A Marlin 1895 in 45-70 would be suitable I think - not sure how the action withstands snow and icing mind.

Rifled barrel and sabot slugs will group quite nicely at 100yds, and retains most of it's very considerable muzzle energy (over 3000 ft-lbs) up to this point.

Also bear in mind (geddit?) that as the beasts haven't got the hang of fire support yet, most attacks happen at close range. I'll wager very few folk ever shoot to kill a bear at much over 50yds unless they're hunting.
No disrespect to you or your shooting ability but to hit a moving target at 100m with a shotgun slug, off the shooting range, when your life depends on it is beyond my skill level.
Like I said an SLR or M14 is what I would take.
I know a couple of people who have shot Polar Bears, one has the skin in his house!!!! I am pretty sure that the both used .308.
The Bears tend to wander into towns. Unfortunately some get a little too comfy with being that close to people and when they can't find anything else to eat, in dustbins etc, they become a potential threat and get slotted.

It might go that far but you'd have bob all hope of hitting anything with it. I can't get slug to group at 110m!
I think you could hit something the size of a bear at 200, it's not like your at Bisley
but you are not allowed to shoot an attacking bear at less than 30/50 mtrs you can put an awful lot of holes in him at that range