So if you needed to protect yourself from polar bears?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Aug 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Canadian Rangers are still issued Lee Enfield No.4s - I hope they get 215 grain ammunition for them!

I would think that 303 is a bit marginal for use on an 800 - 1500lb carnivore intent on eating you. What would be optimum?
  2. How far have you got to carry it?

I'd guess that a 12-bore firing a slug would probably be a pretty good compromise.
  3. 12 bore semi-automatic, firing 300 grain sabot slugs.

...and a flamethrower.
  4. Well k98k seems a common choice in svalbard, although the sysselmannen (policeman/ranger guys) carry rather large revolvers as well as their rifle. Personally i would say an AKs47. Its not as powerful but you know it will fire first time and you would be able to get a couple more rounds in before the thing is eating you. If you miss with a bolt action you would not get a second chance, and in arctic temps in a whiteout missing is a very real possibility.
  5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Moisin Nagant M44 carbine - big **** off round - fine for 100 meters - works in snow - costs $85.00
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The problem with the solid shotgun slug is that that Bear needs to be quite close when you fire! 50m or less!!
  7. I'm thinking maybe .............
    • Like Like x 7
  8. A giant penguin suit,while the polar ponders what the fcuk it is you can make your escape.
  9. The Polar Bear certainly would be wondering- Polar Bears live in the Arctic and Penguins in the Antarctic!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. A 3 inch magnum slug fired from a Mossburg 500 goes a hell of a lot further than 50 mtrs, think more like 200, and you can have 8 of the little darlings going down rang in next to no time, my load would be slug, OO Buckshot, Slug, never did a bear with it but it sure stops wildboar,
  11. I have never had to do it, thank god, but that's what I would take. Polar bears give no warning of an attack, but as the only warm thing on the stretch of tundra, I would rather assume I was lunch until proven otherwise.

12. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It might go that far but you'd have bob all hope of hitting anything with it. I can't get slug to group at 110m!
  14. really????
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I have no doubt about the range of the slug, its the accuracy of the weapon. I have fired slugs and have lots of buddys who hunt with them. Its really hard to hit anything over 50m, particularly a moving white Bear charging, with a white background that wants to eat you !

The Buck shot would maybe piss the Bear off and thats about it!!!

Personally I would take something like an SLR or M14!