So if one no longer has a parachute...

Is it that expensive to retain the capability? Ultimately, jumping out of planes is a skill we can do without; but p-coy and pride in the 'para' identity is what makes them good soldiers.

Perhaps this is the way of things, as it goes longer and longer from a conflict where paratroopers are risked/needed they become the target for defence cuts.

I love the idea of the para spearhead but perhaps in this day and age a few loaded low flying merlins and chinooks have more chance of beating enemy air defences that a few low flying slow hercs.

This doesn't seem to ring true with all the work that 216 Para Sig Sqn have done recently to prepare for a return to contingency ops - Christ, there was a massive spread all about them in The Wire not long ago...

Perhaps this is the way of things, as it goes longer and longer from a conflict where paratroopers are risked/needed they become the target for defence cuts.

I love the idea of the para spearhead but perhaps in this day and age a few loaded low flying merlins and chinooks have more chance of beating enemy air defences that a few low flying slow hercs.
Heliborne Assault Troops- I'll let you work out the abbreviation!

This will be fun. Where is 2 up 3 down when you want a wank and skewed opinion?

Sent from ma hoose.

M

Mark The Convict

He'll be off snarling 'SUEZ!' under his breath as he lets yet another Hat's windscreen wiper thump down with vindictive finality on yet another freshly-issued parking ticket. He's not to be trifled with, you know.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The move coincides with the phased withdrawal of the RAF’s main transport aircraft, the Hercules – used by Paras for their jumps.
Sunno - what is this...has the Airbus finally come of age - typical of the latest defence projects in Europ it is fitted for but not with Paratroopers.

FFS

B

Biscuits_AB

Well, that's me outraged. I'm off out in 10 minutes to get pissed with Not Quite Chuffed of Chipping Norton and Frankly Disgusted of Doncaster to drum up support.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!
An ex member of Para Reg possessing political views anything other than "slightly rightwing of Gengus Khan" can only be considered utterly gay and hattish.

I served under this floppy haired specimen and if I had known he'd go onto become a Labour MP or was even sympathetic to the cause I would have waged the very most severe brew skiffing campaign against him.

OT- Not this old chestnut again, the topic seems to get churned out on a weekly basis these days and for all the endless bum gravy that gets spewed nothing changes.

Let's face it paras aren't as elite now as they were in the 70s/80s

Infact The Rifles are the new badass, their hierarchy system is hilarious Privates calling Sgts "Mate" and their also known for breeding some of the best sniper's in the British Army.
What are you basing that on, you never-served illiterate cunt?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mate, whether you like it or not that's the gen.

The fact that everyone who wears said crap hat is a useless fecker backs it up.

That's what I was told when I joined the reg and the blokes before that and before that and so on and so on ( you get the idea)
I think what FF was trying to put across was that as Paras wouldn't be Paras anymore, but Heliborne Assault Troops, that would give the acronym HAT. We already know the reason for the word Hat when used by the airborne fraternity since time immemorial.

Mate, whether you like it or not that's the gen.

The fact that everyone who wears said crap hat is a useless fecker backs it up.

That's what I was told when I joined the reg and the blokes before that and before that and so on and so on ( you get the idea)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I would try and explain it to you, but I feel without the use of glove puppets (not sock puppets) I’d be onto a looser.

Tomorrow morning show this thread to a grown up at work and get one of them to explain the fundamentals of subtle comedy and irony.