So I bought myself a banjo.

I was inspired by Mumford's version of 'The Boxer'. I need to be able to play that banjo bit, I thought, only to find out that 'that banjo bit' is actually played on a steel guitar.

Nevertheless, now obsessed, I announced my firm intention to buy and learn to play, a banjo. Two days after my birthday, in June, one of my sons took me off to the music shop to buy one for me, the rest of my children having chipped in.

There were two sorts in the shop, an entry level at £180 and a supposedly better one at £300. The intention was to buy me the entry level one.

After trying both, without playing, it was obvious that the entry level had too high an action and would be much harder to play, so I chipped in the extra spondulics and we bought the more expensive one, which felt 'right'. The shop threw in a 'how to play' book, a tuner and a case. I was now obliged to learn to play.

Now, 4 months later, I'm on the way to cracking 'Duelling Banjos'. I think another month should do it.

Should anybody be interested, I'll post further on my method of learning and why I chose to crack this tune after such a short amount of learning.

If you, or that stringed spawn of Satan, are heard within 5 miles of my gaff, I will fire bomb your loved ones, their pets, cars, hairdressers, the children of their hairdressers and anyone who admits to being able to spell 'banjo'.

Have a nice day.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You got dicked on the price.

You can lower the action on a banjo (as you can with any stringed instrument.)

Should've got the 180 quid one and had it set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

I've been playing my banjo for years, it's feckin great. I try and practice every day.

Never tried to make it do tunes tho, whatever floats yer boat I guess.

You got dicked on the price.

You can lower the action on a banjo (as you can with any stringed instrument.)

Should've got the 180 quid one and had it set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

Very probably but it would have taken time and effort. And having been back to the shop since, there is an obvious difference. I'm more than content with the one I've got.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very probably but it would have taken time and effort. And having been back to the shop since, there is an obvious difference. I'm more than content with the one I've got.

Get your one set up, it'll do wonders for your playing.

I set up a mate's Banjo in the same way I'd set up a guitar and it improved his playing overnight.

It's a mad instrument. I can't get my head around the tuning at all.

I want a sitar. Had a bash on one a few years back and any guitar player with a few Oasis tunes up his sleeve instantly turns into Ravi Shankar when playing a sitar.

Get your one set up, it'll do wonders for your playing.

I set up a mate's Banjo in the same way I'd set up a guitar and it improved his playing overnight.

It's a mad instrument. I can't get my head around the tuning at all.

I want a sitar. Had a bash on one a few years back and any guitar player with a few Oasis tunes up his sleeve instantly turns into Ravi Shankar when playing a sitar.

Mine appears to stay constantly in tune. Came to it with no pre-conceived ideas as to playing, bar very basic guitar, many moons ago.

Various rolls were easy enough but difficult to keep going for the length of a song, especially when starting to change chords. And of course, with G being an open string chord, changing during a song means hitting the next chord-fingering correctly without a break in the picking, rather difficult initially.

The beauty of banjo picking, of course, is that once you're holding a chord, and with changing rolls being the nature of picking, you can't really hit a wrong note. You're just doing a different interpretation of whatever tune your picking.

Edit - 'You're' FFS.

The African roots apparently.

npr-banjo-story.png

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Fcuk knows, my monitor's not in colour.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If you, or that stringed spawn of Satan, are heard within 5 miles of my gaff, I will fire bomb your loved ones, their pets, cars, hairdressers, the children of their hairdressers and anyone who admits to being able to spell 'banjo'.

Have a nice day.

C'mon be nice. At least it's not bagpipes.

L

lumpy2

Ever been to Forkhill?

Nope. But I guess anything can get wearing if you hear it every day.

I teach piano, but avoid listening to piano music because I have to analyse it to death instead of enjoying it!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Your Steinway will be useful in an advance to contact eh ?

Latest Threads