so i am shitting myself

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by kingcal91, Apr 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. start at the ITC on the 31st May

i am really excited about going but i am also absolutely shitting thinking of how hard it is gonna be and what i am going to do if i don't get through it

2. Shitting yourself is natural, its fear of the unknown.

Wondering what you are going to do if you dont get through is not a positive attitude though, you need to start focussing on what you are going to get out of your career when you pass!

You have got through selection, you have shown you have the minimum standard required to make it into the Army, now start demonstrating the dig deep attitude that your recruiter thinks you possess to have warranted sending you so far ;)

you owe it to yourself now to start looking at the positives ;)

3. trust me i am going to dig deep, i will dig half way to China if i have to

4. I agree, You need to think positive.... Goto ur basic with a good attitude :eek:)

I'm off to ATC Pirbright on may the 4th and im a little nervous but positive with it... Without it your not going to get far.

5. Mate you have got to want to dig the whole way. You have to erase all negatives and only think positive. You will make it!!!

6. good luck! May the 4th be with you!

7. Although it is almost 20 years to the day since my pass out parade, I can still remember the fear before joining. But even though it was the hardest thing I had ever done in my life, it was not as hard as I had built it up to be in my own mind.
    As it stands you have no idea what awaits you, so as Jarrod says, take one day at a time. There will be times when you feel like jacking, there will be times when you would accept a broken limb just to stop doing what you are doing, but you need to hack the bad stuff to get onto the good stuff.
    Once you get to your unit you will make friends for life. I am currently waiting to hear from my oppo who flys back from Afghanistan today, and in a couple of weeks time will be going to someone elses 40th party. All people who I remain close to because of bonds formed in the army.

The experience will change your life.
    Go for it, and good luck.

8. The train journey down to basic is something that almost every squaddie for the past half-century has experienced and most will admit that they were cacking themselves at the time (I certainly was). But whether you serve for 3 years or 30, your army service will be the defining experience of your life. Good luck.

9. Make sure you are prepared before you go. This especially means getting physically fit. Then when you get there work hard. Be a good team player. Knuckle down. All those cliches.

Don't try to large it, even if you think you are very fit, or more experienced than someone else or whatever. Just get stuck in and pull your weight.

You'll be fine. Good luck.

10. i don't start for 7 more weeks, but i remember on the final leg of my train journey going to Pirbright for my selection, i was shitting it but once i got there and met afew of the guys i relaxed and everything flowed, until the heart murmur :( passed two weeks later though!
    you'll do fine, you may be shitting it but once you get there everyone will be on the same boat.
    Good luck :)

11. Think of it this way - you will be joining a Platoon of about 30 people in exactly the same boat as you, all sh1tting themselves.

Training at the ITC is hard but not unachievable - otherwise we wouldn't have an Infantry.

As long as you are fit, do as you're told when you're told to, listen to what's being said, you turn up clean and smart and make sure you are constantly ready for what's coming next on the programme then you should be OK.

Like fivetodo said the only thing you are afraid of is the unknown.

12. What i always tell the applicants straight after they are attested is that if you are worried, feeling miserable, feeling knackered, feeling pissed off, then look at around at the guys around and you will see a whole platoon feeling exactly the same thing, take heart from that and whinge, whine, laugh, cry and do whatever else you have to do together (sexual favours are not to be included here! :D ) to get through it.

Basic training forms the basis for what binds soldiers together as a team, you go through the same hardships and highs and lows together, its designed to be like that, much the same as it is designed to put you under pressure :)

If it was easy we would have all manner of shite enlisting and embarrassing us wherever we serve around the world ;)

13. You've met the minimum requirements by making it as far as you have. Anything they do to you now will no doubt be to test to see if you have the mental attitude to progress. Its a while ago now but i saw guys who were built like brick shit houses and fit as **** start crying saying I can't do it. just keep your head down and get on with whatever task your given. It doesn't always pay to attract attention. If your a bit of a comedian don't be, instructors don't see it as funny they see it as being cheeky or cocky. Once you've done the first 3 or 4 weeks you'll see all the new guys turning up and will be shocked at the difference. Remember that was you. Before you know it your basic will be over and you'll be posting on this site about your phase 2 and how nervous you are.

Good luck.

14. Interact with the other blokes around you (the army doesn't like loners), but always be yourself and don't take anything personally (in one ear and out the other). As someone said before, keep your head down and get on with the job in hand. You'll soon get noticed for all the right reasons.

15. Last week I met a bunch of lads on adventure training in I think week 10 of their basic, Up on the Forrest Fawr> they where a great bunch of blokes and all said how they enjoyed training even though it was hard and how It had changed them . And to the Wedgy Sgt, thanks for the beans and I'm sorry I haven't been able to post the pics