So how should I go about this?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Paul86, Jun 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright lads, I've been reading this site non-stop for the past week and got some great info. Cheers! Any advice you could give me would be great, though I am sorry if these questions have been repeated again and again.

Basically, I have a full time job, 9-5, stuck behind a desk, watching the clock all day. It's KILLING me. The boss is leaving at the end of the year, he has high hopes for me in the company, within the the year I could be "2nd in command", the new bosses right-hand man. But, I hate the job and I hate the nature of the work.

I gave this job a chance because it is a great opportunity and is already a decent wage. But **** it, joining the army (the para reg moreso) has always been an ambition. So I've decided to go for it.

The problems are:

- I'm signed up (rent wise) to my house until October. (how quick is the process of joining and being sent to basic?)

- The boss would need to know ASAP to find a replacement for me (get someone as highly trained as I am), if I tell him now I think he'll get rid of me (which I couldn't afford because of my rent/bills etc)

- I'm thinking of getting a full medical by my doc before I go to the army. I'd hate for some unknown illness of mine to take me out of training. Is this a good idea?

- What can I take part in pre-basic while still working at my office job? i.e. Am I right in saying I can take a med-exam, fitness test and BARB test before any commitment is made?

- I had asthma, though I have been "clear" for four years this month. I'm convinced I was misdiagnosed, I've played ruggers, footy, did kickboxing my whole life. Hell, I went and ran a sports summer scheme in Romania in 40 degree heat for 3 weeks and I was fine! This shouldn't cause any real problems, should it?

Also, the reason for this post is because I think that everyone will be against my decision (throwing away a great career, great money and great potential), so I think I'm looking for some reassurance from you fine folk too!

In addition to this post, I'll be asking on the official site, but I wanted opinions from less biased people.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post!
  2. Endless?

That's only like 4 months away, I doubt that will be a problem.

Seems the turn around time can vary, but 5 months seems about average.

Not your problem. Tell im when you hand your 30 days notice in.

Up to you. If you feel in ok shape you might aswell not bother, but thats a personal opinion.

Yes you do all that before signing on the line, even when you get into basic you have like a month to say you want out.

I think 4 years is the cut off. If you have been clear that long they shouldnt mind.
    Thought by clear they want you to have been off your meds for that long I believe, not just not had an attack.

F*ck em.
    I am more or less in the same boat as you, I will be taking a pay cut when I join the forces and my boss was even trying to get me sent to Uni and all sorts.
    Its personal choice mate.

Dont do it again :p
  3. OK from the top.

October. you could wait until then and make sure you are extra ready.
    the boss. sod him, just give the minimum notice required.
    medical. the army do one anyway and may ask for a medical history from your doc anyway. otherwise not a bad idea.
    BARB etc. I belive you are right but not 1oo% certain.
    asthma. you will do an extended lung function test when you do your medical (I did one at AOSB) its rubbish its a pain but its neccesary.

and finally if it is something you really want to do then great, who cares what anyone else thinks? I dont think
    you would want to spend the rest of your life thinking what could have been.

hope this helps.
  4. I was pretty much exactly the same situation as you mate. I passed ADSC in April but I don't start Basic until September due to other commitments I couldn't get out of. My careers office have been brilliant about the whole thing & basically said they'd find dates to suit me (within reason obviously) so your rent issue shouldn't cause a problem.

Sod your boss! Would he be as considerate if he wanted rid of you? I doubt it. I've been with my company for 3 years and I'm a branch manager, but I'll be giving no more than the minimum notice in my contract! I'm also taking a big pay cut but it's only money. Can't take it with you as they say!

Don't have any experience of your asthma situation, other than you have to be 4 years treatment & syptom free and from what I've read, that isn't negotiable.

If the army is what you want to do then go for it. I'm 25 and wish I'd done it earlier. You don't want to look back and wonder 'what if...' Hope this helps - if you want to PM me feel free
  5. You may want to take a look at this: Para Insight courses

could give you an idea of what its like (unlikely its only 1.5 days) but at least you'll know what to expect from selection if you take it that far.
  6. Asthma FIVE years clear from your last attack or from the last time you were issued an inhaler.
    If it says it in your med file then ADSC will knock you back for further info or possible deferral for a year.
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Nope. Four years.
  8. Yea, I thought it was four aswell.