So, how much did you enjoy your time on TELIC?

Basra troops 'on another planet'

BBC have done a piece on life behind the wire in Basra.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6066584.stm

QUOTE:

And many find satisfaction in what they call "proper soldiering".

"Who", asked one officer, "would want to go to Bosnia when you could come to Iraq?". He himself was eager to get to Afghanistan.

Some soldiers will speak of "enjoying" their time in Iraq without the slightest suspicion of irony.

UNQUOTE

It goes onto make the point that US troops have the support of the wider US population, whereas the UK seems to forget that they're there.

So, what were the highlights of TELIC for you?

Flight home was pretty good, but then the "proper soldiering" bit can easily become tedious as a medic.

I lost weight.

good tour would be better if you could of had a beer when on down time, Oh wait a min we never got any down time !!!

Was great, travelled lots, met lots of interesting people, had some beers, roamed the desert without helmets or body armour and slept under the stars happy to be on higher rate LSSA!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
well, celebrating my 45th birthday with a can of ambient temperature Heineken ( that'll be 34 degrees centigrade at 2200 then) was a pretty big moment......

What else? My major success was bundling the leader of the refuse collection team into our Rover and physically SHOWING him the month old pile of refuse he was to remove (and no, NOT bloody Insh'Allah - today !)

My Big Day Out - providing the (solo) Armed Presence onboard a former Port of Swansea tug doing a sonar survey of the Khawr Az Zubayr(formerly patrolled only by SEALs and 539 Assault Sqn.)...South African Skipper, Belgian mate and a crew from Goa - and me with my A2 and 180 rds. I declined the curry lunch.

Oh....and returning to the billet to find our crew out front crouched in cover waiting for whoever had been firing shots in the vicinity to come closer......turned out to be the RAF Police killing pariahs with shotguns- nobody had told us.

Highlights....I left with no regrets and no huge desire to return. Walking off the Galahad's ramp in Marchwood was quite a big moment too.

( the run ashore in Dubai was bangin' though !)

Lee Shaver

A

armadillo

Watching the RAF loady fall of the virgin plane that Richard Branson sent out with a full complement of stunning flight attendants, masseuses, alcohol solid food and real bog paper. Oh yea that was the plane that turned back by HMG though loads of us were ready to fly back. Cheers HMG, Dicky B was extremely pi*****d off about that.

Yea the yanks feeling sorry for us and lending kit and mre as we had NOTHING!!!!

Did i feel let down only a smidgen.

Then the best bit was coming back after nearly getting killed umpteen times and finding it was all for nothing!

Best times of my army career, if it could have been like that all the time instead of getting dikced for sh*t postings like i did i would still be in now!

armadillo said:
Watching the RAF loady fall of the virgin plane that Richard Branson sent out with a full complement of stunning flight attendants, masseuses, alcohol solid food and real bog paper. Oh yea that was the plane that turned back by HMG though loads of us were ready to fly back. Cheers HMG, Dicky B was extremely pi*****d off about that.

Yea the yanks feeling sorry for us and lending kit and mre as we had NOTHING!!!!

Did i feel let down only a smidgen.

Then the best bit was coming back after nearly getting killed umpteen times and finding it was all for nothing!
I'd forgotten the image that was the RAF knacker coming down to earth. Yep, HMG really pizzed off a lot of people in not taking up Branson' s offer.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
dui-lai said:
I lost weight too courtesy of Shigella :oops:
Well, I had to suffer a lot or Italian food as well, courtesy of the Bersagliari, and I agree it was crap :)

I was bedded down in the Eyetie Med Centre (I will NEVER complain about the AMS EVER again*), and CPunk was out of action at least once.

*This is a Lie.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
...and all in all, this pretty well sums up the experience:

FWIW, this from the Beeb:

Views from Basra on UK troops
Two residents of Basra give their reaction to comments from the head of the British Army on the presence of British troops in Iraq.

General Sir Richard Dannatt said troops should leave "sometime soon" because they were exacerbating the security situation.

MR AHMOOD, BASRA

I think he is right.

On a personal level, there is nothing wrong with the British soldiers, but I am against having them here. There is almost zero trust between the two sides The British troops operate as an occupying force; not as troops supporting our own forces.

Until now there has been no meaningful co-operation between British troops and the local government that I can see. They work according to their own thinking and policy.

Even if they are trying to consult the local government, they are the ones steering the situation, both on a sectarian level and on security issues.

I'm not saying they should take their orders from local politicians, but they should co-operate in a meaningful way.

At the beginning it wasn't so bad, but now there is almost zero trust between the two sides.

They drive through the streets of town without knowing who the local government officers are, they don't know where they are going or what they're doing.

They raid so many houses and arrest so many people and the government knows nothing about it beforehand. So we don't trust them.

They should announce a timetable for their departure. I believe Basra is ready for the troops to leave now.

The local security troops use the presence of the British troops to relax.

When anything happens in the city, they blame the interference of the British soldiers for the trouble - and use it as an excuse not to take action themselves.

Then the public believes the local security forces on this.

We don't want to see British tanks and armoured vehicles on the streets of Basra on their own. They should be with the Iraqi security forces.

If British troops raid a house on their own, and afterwards the residents claim the soldiers stole things; who should we believe? It's hard to know if there are no Iraqi forces with them.

ALI, 26, BASRA

Most of the people here in Basra are hoping the British soldiers will leave.

They arrest too many people. They dominate the Basra police and security forces. This is what Basra people think.

We feel they rule us and this is not acceptable.

At night, they are always patrolling in their vehicles and arresting people. They take our weapons at checkpoints. This should be done by the Iraqi police, not them.
You find two checkpoints - one manned by Iraqi police, and 10m away, another is manned by the British.

It is strange. It's as if we have two governments.

There should be a timetable for the departure of UK troops.

But I also believe that if the troops leave now, the security situation won't improve. Our policemen and our military are not ready yet to take care of security in Basra.

A year from now would be a good departure date. This will be enough time to train the Iraqi police. We also need the British government to try to teach some of our officials in government how to deliver better services to the Iraqi people.

Democracy is something that's missing in Iraq. People don't understand what that means. If you want democracy you have to educate people - and then you can apply it.

If they work towards leaving a year from now that would be good. Otherwise they will be staying here for many years.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/talking_point/6047946.stm

Published: 2006/10/13 14:04:12 GMT

Le Chevre

Still reckon that two of our guys must get the prize for the essential recce info. Within two hours of going across Bridge 4, they return with the not often heard quote in Basra: "We've found the Whore House" - quality!