Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No fecking chance.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Gayer than a bag of dicks.

Votes: 58 66.7%

• Total voters

Forastero

LE
I'll admit it, I've got one and I love it. Stacks of noise, lots of character and a feeling that you're on something a bit different. I can chuck it around, smash it up the road and always come back with a grin on me grid. I have no arseless chaps and I'm married. To a girl. I'm also not a member of a 'Chapter' or The Patriots MC.

Opinions, fellow bikers?!

I would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than ride that over priced American shite...

Unless you want to give me a mid 60's Sportster...

Mince. Absolutely mince. Hairdressers avoid them as being too gay. For ride and comfort, my Midnight Star 1300 farts in it's general direction.

However.

In 3-4 weeks time I will take one on hire in Muurca. Again. I will thrap it up and down I10, finishing of in Houston before taking what's left of it back to Las Vegas.

Throughout, I will be grinning like Stuart Hall at the gates The Mater Convent For Blind 14 Year Old Blondes.

I've had my midlife crisis and ended up buying property in a sparsely populated area of Canada. BUT, if I was single, I would definitely have a Harley.

Never been on a motorbike in my life but can see the attraction, flies in my eyes, 15 minutes to get kitted up, sweating my gonads off in the hot weather, twatish motorists, 15 minutes to get back into civvies, cursing that a rear tyre only lasts 2000 miles, explaining to my mates that I love it.

I love riding bikes but I hate the whole "biker" scene, I'm not a bro or into dressing in leather and tassles, nor do I want to dress up like a power ranger and scream around with my knees in my ears but if I wanted to plough a field I'd buy a tractor.

I'll stick with my 1980 Z1000.

I have always thought that they were a bike for tossers.
This was reinforced when I saw an interview on the telly with that bloke who sang 'in the midnight hour' .Sorry can't remember his name right now. It might have been Billy fury or something.
I mentioned this to my bro a couple of weeks ago.
He used to live in LA back in the day and said that the aforementioned singer did in fact look the bollocks cruising down sunset boulevard. So the jury is out. Give me A cbr 600 any
day.

Mince. Absolutely mince. Hairdressers avoid them as being too gay. For ride and comfort, my Midnight Star 1300 farts in it's general direction.

However.

In 3-4 weeks time I will take one on hire in Muurca. Again. I will thrap it up and down I10, finishing of in Houston before taking what's left of it back to Las Vegas.

Throughout, I will be grinning like Stuart Hall at the gates The Mater Convent For Blind 14 Year Old Blondes.
You're talking about masturbation again, aren't you?

No but I passed my test on one of those *******. Had a buckshee week's leave and my Barracks' monkey section were running a course and had a spare slot so I took it up. They had a monkey bird on the course who I swear was about 4'5" and couldn't touch the floor and was terrified of the thing, not without good reason in some respects. Anyway, we rode out to Southend from Colchester and she promptly piled in on the first bend as 'she couldn't go round corners because she thought she would fall off.'

If you like your bike then who gives a **** what other non bikers / bikers think.

Does riding a Harley make you cool? Nope
Does riding a race rep in full leathers make you cool? Nope

Does riding either put a smile on YOUR grid? Yep

Vehicle snobs......I shit em.

You're talking about masturbation again, aren't you?
You may have a point: Onanism and Milwaukee iron frequently occur in the same sentence.

Back to thread: HD-until quite recently-had a horrendous engineering reputation. The old joke used to be that if there was no oil puddle under the bike, the reservoir was empty. The ride on most of the softails is abysmal and you need an area the size of Rhode Island to turn the feckers.

But.

When I collect the bike for my run out, I will sit on it for at least 10 minutes with the engine burbling, just blipping the throttle as I blow a small but perfectly formed snot bubble.

They're shite fresh out of the box, sound and go like an asthmatic pensioner. Had a Stage 1 done on mine and the difference is like night and day. Won't outdo most bikes even now but then that's not really what it's for.

For me -no chance ... ever , as Skunkmiester put it so eloquently either end of the spectrum are not cool.
We have a Harley dealer about 15 miles away and often have to put up with groups of 30 odd Harleys riding by ..... all sounding like a badly running Thwaits Dumper or cement mixer as they all seem to have open pipes.
A well tuned 2 stroke on expansions ..... yes , A Ducati on race pipes..... yes , any high revving Jap 4cyl 4 stroke ....yes , A triumph triple on race pipes .....oh yes , but the noise of a Harley just gets on my nerves .
That said the wartime Harleys can and do look cool .
But a Harley rider is still a biker so gets my support .

De gustibus non est disputandum.

One cannot dispute other peoples tastes.

I've just upgraded my Jap 750 and gone right back to my roots with a Lambretta.

I would never own one, too expensive and not actually that good at anything. There are bikes which do everything better, without the same stigma attached.

I must confess I saw this example a while back, didn't know what it was at the time, but felt dirty when I found out what it was. I do actually like it...

Much rather have a Triumph Rocket III...
I just wish I could afford a rocket without kissing the bank managers ass,

I'll stick to a Speedmaster or Honda Black Spirit VT750 C2-BA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Judge Judy Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 135
shellbackmac The Book Club 3