So...erm...whats all this about Libya?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NVG_Goatman, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was reading a bit about the Lockerbie air disaster, and Namibia appears in a couple of articles. Anyone know what relations between Namibia and Libya are like?

The thing that made me curious was that on board the aircraft was a Namibian dignitary en route to sign an agreement which would bring about the end of Cuban influence in his country. Fidel is a communist nutter, Gadaffi is a communist nutter. Conicidence?

The other thing I was hoping someone a little wiser than me could perhaps illuminate is the potential link between Gadaffi being given back his secret agent and the thawing of relations between Libya's National Oil Company and BP. Is it a simple case of "Give me back my operative or you can't play with my train set any more" or are the two thought to be unrelated?

2. All change. We are now best pals with Libya because of the oil and them ditching WMD. Plus the so called bomber was fitted up by the CIA and his mucker got not guilty anyway. Best get rid before his appeal exposed it. Prince Andrew has met Gaddafi's son and invited him to Windsor on a number of occasions. Coincidence of course.

3. You clearly forgot that his Holiness Tony Blair kissed and made up with Ghadaffi just before handing over the reigns to Big Gordo. The mad Colonel also made significant donations of money and arms to the Provisional IRA which in New Labour's book makes him a "good terrorist".

The Lord Protector, Deputy Leader and Man of the People, Peter Mandelson also supped with the Ghadaffi family on a yacht recently which probably has more influence on events than any meeting with the Duke of York.

As to the oil issue - too late the French have blagged it all in exchange for nuclear power stations. "Merci Presidente" as they say in Tripoli.

4. Don't mention WPC Fletcher murdered by the Libyan Embassy in London.

5. There is quite a compelling school of thought which has it yer man was fitted up and the actual culprits may be from elsewhere, might even have been proxies for another elsewhere. To be fair to Libya, which is not a phrase I'd ever have imagined myself typing.

6. And do not mention the Iranian airliner shot down by the US Navy in the Med.

7. The magazine Private Eye has been arguing against the Libyan involvement for years. They think that it was a contract job by the Syrian based Abu Nidal network paid for by the Iranians in revenge for the US Navy shooting down one of their airliners.

Personally, I don't know if that is right, but they do point out some pretty serious flaws in the prosecution case, so even if the Syrian/Iranian link is not proved, the guilt of the Libyans is suspect.

It could very well be that in terms of realpolitik, it was better for the Libyans to admit liability just to assist their attempts to come in from the cold (and hand over all the WMDs they had developed without anyone noticing.)

8. Breaking News: the rag-head has just been released by our so-called Justice Minister. :roll:

I could'nt care less that he's dying of cancer - he was a Lybian spook, so he's guilty of SOMETHING - but I have real doubts he planted the bomb.

I sincerely doubt there will ever be real justice for those who died at Lockerbie. :evil:

9. Dont tell me - we have to pay his fukkin flight home too?

10. It was a favourite theory of the much missed Paul Foot. And it's resurfaced again this week. Here's a taster from The Times for tin foil hat fans...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6797773.ece

American intelligence documents blaming Iran for the Lockerbie bombing would have been produced in court if the Libyan convicted of Britain’s worst terrorist attack had not dropped his appeal.

Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, a former Libyan intelligence officer expected to be freed this week, had instructed his lawyers to produce internal US intelligence communications unavailable to his defence team at his trial in 2000.

The cables, from the American Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), suggest that Iran was behind the attack on Pan Am flight 103, which killed 270 people in 1988, in response to the shooting down of an Iranian commercial airliner by the USS Vincennes, an American warship, five months earlier.

One document that the defence team had planned to produce was a memo from the DIA dated September 24, 1989. It states: “The bombing of the Pan Am flight was conceived, authorised and financed by Ali-Akbar (Mohtashemi-Pur), the former Iranian minister of interior.

I reckon this will run for a while now, if the decision to release our man goes ahead.

The Hamburg connection is well worth investigating.

11. If the Septics can produce proof that Iran was behind Lockerbie, will there be pressure to take action against Iran? Or at least let the Israelie's of the leash...?

12. Do PanAm do that route?

13. I hope they don't do Fed Ex as well, look what happened to Tom Hanks!!!

14. Its all about oil. We have no wish to upset them in any way when our three largest oil and gas companies are currently doing some of their most important prospecting for decades there.

15. Yup. Plus the septics have now got all the oil from saudi, iraq, and southern soviet states thru afg. libya puts us back in the ball game.