so confused

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by stu74, Oct 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im 19 years old just finished a plumbing course but hate it n so am definately leaving.
    i've always loved everything military n wanted to join army.
    now its coming to crunch time n i cant decide whether or not to join up.
    on one side i'd be living the dream doing a job i know i'll love, but the thought of what my family and girlfriend would go through is steering me away.
    i havent told my family my wishes and i know they wouldnt approve.
    my girlfriend says 'do what YOU want and dont worry about any1 else'.
    i would love to do it but the thought of something happening, ie, death or serious injury like loss of limb or disfigurement etc and thus no future is putting alot of doubt in my mind.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks.

2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Only you can decide that one. Death and limb loss/injury is part and parcel with being in the job.

3. Go for it. You have more chance of dying or getting seriously injured as a plumber than serving in the British Army. Even so, I'd rather die doing something I enjoyed than having a dull job with zero satisfaction. :wink:

4. As posted on the other forum "your stupid joining the army" dont worry about what other people think and if your worried about dieing or losing a limb then dont join (even though the infantry is the main place that will happen).

Do what you want to its your choice but most will say its the best thing they've ever done.

5. It's your life. Only you can live it.

6. i see what you mean n i understand that its best to die doing something you love and i wouldn't mind dying for my country. its not the thought of my own death/ injury that worries me, but the thought of what it would do to my family and girlfriend :(

7. One thing you have to do is stop thinking about the death thing. The chances are really really small. Look at the stats. More chance of getting killed by a goldfish being farted out of a Llamas arse.

Nothing worse that sitting around in 20 years time during a dull plumbing job thinking 'I wonder what it would have been like in the Army?'.

8. Go for it,you can do things in the Army that civvis can't even dream about

9. i know what i do at the moment is dangerous but if i do join up it'd be as infantry, n they dont even reveal the injury list for serving troops.

but i realise i can only listen to your's, and every1 else's advice and make the decision for myself.

10. Why not be a combat plumber

11. You can die on your way to your local AFCO.

Bit pointless worrying about dieing mate. If the job and lifestyle appeal to you then go and have a chat at least with the careers office.

I'm so excited about starting, you will feel the same once you get stuck into the application process.

Expect a long wait though ha

p.s. have a look at all the technical trades you can do

12. A combat plumber???

13. Ignore tropper. He's retarded.

14. The Royal Engineers have plumbers