so confused

#1
im 19 years old just finished a plumbing course but hate it n so am definately leaving.
i've always loved everything military n wanted to join army.
now its coming to crunch time n i cant decide whether or not to join up.
on one side i'd be living the dream doing a job i know i'll love, but the thought of what my family and girlfriend would go through is steering me away.
i havent told my family my wishes and i know they wouldnt approve.
my girlfriend says 'do what YOU want and dont worry about any1 else'.
i would love to do it but the thought of something happening, ie, death or serious injury like loss of limb or disfigurement etc and thus no future is putting alot of doubt in my mind.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
 
#3
Go for it. You have more chance of dying or getting seriously injured as a plumber than serving in the British Army. Even so, I'd rather die doing something I enjoyed than having a dull job with zero satisfaction. :wink:
 
#4
As posted on the other forum "your stupid joining the army" dont worry about what other people think and if your worried about dieing or losing a limb then dont join (even though the infantry is the main place that will happen).

Do what you want to its your choice but most will say its the best thing they've ever done.
 
#6
i see what you mean n i understand that its best to die doing something you love and i wouldn't mind dying for my country. its not the thought of my own death/ injury that worries me, but the thought of what it would do to my family and girlfriend :(
 
#7
stu74 said:
i see what you mean n i understand that its best to die doing something you love and i wouldn't mind dying for my country. its not the thought of my own death/ injury that worries me, but the thought of what it would do to my family and girlfriend :(
One thing you have to do is stop thinking about the death thing. The chances are really really small. Look at the stats. More chance of getting killed by a goldfish being farted out of a Llamas arse.

Nothing worse that sitting around in 20 years time during a dull plumbing job thinking 'I wonder what it would have been like in the Army?'.
 
#10
i know what i do at the moment is dangerous but if i do join up it'd be as infantry, n they dont even reveal the injury list for serving troops.

but i realise i can only listen to your's, and every1 else's advice and make the decision for myself.
 
#11
stu74 said:
i know what i do at the moment is dangerous but if i do join up it'd be as infantry, n they dont even reveal the injury list for serving troops.

but i realise i can only listen to your's, and every1 else's advice and make the decision for myself.
Why not be a combat plumber
 
#12
You can die on your way to your local AFCO.

Bit pointless worrying about dieing mate. If the job and lifestyle appeal to you then go and have a chat at least with the careers office.

I'm so excited about starting, you will feel the same once you get stuck into the application process.

Expect a long wait though ha

p.s. have a look at all the technical trades you can do
 
#13
tropper66 said:
stu74 said:
i know what i do at the moment is dangerous but if i do join up it'd be as infantry, n they dont even reveal the injury list for serving troops.

but i realise i can only listen to your's, and every1 else's advice and make the decision for myself.
Why not be a combat plumber
A combat plumber???
 
#15
stu74 said:
tropper66 said:
stu74 said:
i know what i do at the moment is dangerous but if i do join up it'd be as infantry, n they dont even reveal the injury list for serving troops.

but i realise i can only listen to your's, and every1 else's advice and make the decision for myself.
Why not be a combat plumber
A combat plumber???
The Royal Engineers have plumbers
 
#16
stu74 said:
BornSlippy said:
I was in the same boat, sort of. My advice to you sir would be to a; forget about the girlfriend & b; find your balls.
easier said than done
Just think what you would do if you haven't got a GF. Theres no guarantee you'll be together forever. So 13 years down the line you broke up shes got her career she loves and you still stuck a plumber theres no way you can join the army. will you kick yourself silly? Also your mum shouldnt be a reason to stop you as shes lived already. Would she rather you be depressed or happy in life my bet is happy. She will come around and you can only treasure memorys not riches as when you die it stays here but memorys are forever.
 
#18
Billboard said:
stu74 said:
BornSlippy said:
I was in the same boat, sort of. My advice to you sir would be to a; forget about the girlfriend & b; find your balls.
easier said than done
Just think what you would do if you haven't got a GF. Theres no guarantee you'll be together forever. So 13 years down the line you broke up shes got her career she loves and you still stuck a plumber theres no way you can join the army. will you kick yourself silly? Also your mum shouldnt be a reason to stop you as shes lived already. Would she rather you be depressed or happy in life my bet is happy. She will come around and you can only treasure memorys not riches as when you die it stays here but memorys are forever.

wow thanks man, that really helps. ur right i need to think a few years down the line not just now. this makes things clearer.

cheers bud
 
#20
As Tropper66 said..." Combat Plumber "

Technically that is a Royal Engineer,Combat Engineer.One of the shedloads of trades they do is Plumber.Or if you fancy something along those lines but a little different,try going for a Fridge Mech..using similar skills but also expanding on what you know and the trade tends to be in demand in civilian firms for when you do get out later.

I turned down a dream posting to Canada for a girlfriend at the time.....only to end up splitting with her a little later,unless you can blackmail her with incriminating photos,video and DNA...dont take the evil females for anything they say.