So, Cardiff....

And not all that long ago, either. I remember rocking up in Didcot back in 1993 and finding all the shops closed on Wednesday afternoons.
Mind you, it wasn't until the following year when supermarkets in England got the OK to open (restricted) on Sundays.

And when I were but a wee snippet of a lad, my Dad and uncles used to walk into St Mellons (then classed as Monmouthshire) to go to a pub on Sundays. About a 3 mile walk there and a 6 mile walk back due to the staggering.
When I did my ML course at JSATI Llanrwst, they gave us a day off in the middle of the two-week course and 'kindly' drove us to a very nice town with lots of pubs... It was a Sunday, the town was Criccieth, and it was the last Dry County in the UK...

The unutterable bastards...

WTH is half day closing?
It's like the opposite of France, where there it's half day opening.

The butcher's is open, blink and it's closed. Oh never mind the greengrocers has just opened, Oh too late - closed. There's always the local supermarket it's open from 10:00-11:30 and 14:30-15:30 Tuesdays and Saturdays. Allegedly.

It's like the opposite of France, where there it's half day opening.

The butcher's is open, blink and it's closed. Oh never mind the greengrocers has just opened, Oh too late - closed. There's always the local supermarket it's open from 10:00-11:30 and 14:30-15:30 Tuesdays and Saturdays. Allegedly.
Not to mention the cafes that close for lunch and the bars that only open 0800 to 0900.

Out of interest, for those of us who live in Cardiff, which is your favourite pub? City Arms if I'm in town, is a nice establishment but if I'm just out for a couple then the Lansdowne does excellent food and good beers but I enjoy a tipple or three at the St Canna's Alehouse.
City centre, I prefer the City Arms.

Nearer to home - the Pontcanna Inn

No.
The pub. I'm sure it's called The Heath, near to Maindee Barracks.
The Heath it is. I've had a few in there.
I'm not keen on the Goat Major; too many tourists and their efforts to show how Welsh they are I find annoying. But it does have the best brass rail supports ever with the elephant heads.

St Canna's Alehouse, opposite the Butcher's Arms, is quite new and very bohemian having a record player which you are welcome to use and the owner is very proactive and imaginative with some cracking beers and a nice garden.

Half day closing is a concept I've never heard before hence the question...
Thankfully now long-dead. In the 70s tumbleweed would routinely blow down my home-town's High Street on a Wednesday afternoon. Nowadays it does that every day in most towns, as the shops are now out of town...

And not all that long ago, either. I remember rocking up in Didcot back in 1993 and finding all the shops closed on Wednesday afternoons.
Mind you, it wasn't until the following year when supermarkets in England got the OK to open (restricted) on Sundays.

And when I were but a wee snippet of a lad, my Dad and uncles used to walk into St Mellons (then classed as Monmouthshire) to go to a pub on Sundays. About a 3 mile walk there and a 6 mile walk back due to the staggering.
A quarter of a century ago, then. Saying that, Germany was worse until 1997 (maybe 1998, I was a bit pissed). Up until then, Saturday opening was mornings only except the first Saturday of the month when they could open all day, and hardly anything was open on a Sunday. That put a large crimp on any shopping requirements after a post-Happy Hour lie-in.

Last edited:
The Queens Vaults and the Old Arcade are my preferred haunts with a special mention for The Borough on Sundays