So, Cardiff....

.....how is it? I mean living/ working wise?

I've only ever been there twice, both for very short visits. Once for watching Wales v. Australia rugby game at the Millennium Stadium, which was pretty awesome!

Anyways, the reason I am asking is a potential work opportunity came up which would involve me spending at least a week/10 days every month at the office over there. I am based in London, only ever lived and worked here in the UK.

The role in question seems to be quite interesting, at this tech start-up company which seems to have lots of potential - they also have quite a good list of paying clients at the moment for a start-up. Hence my question.

Any inputs from ARRSErs? Apart from the obvious sheep and Welsh language/script jokes...;)

I live in the valleys, good road and rail links into the city.

Travelodge in Ebbw vale is next to the train station. Avoid Newport, its a shithole.
Depends on what you want really. Do you want the city life or do you want something a bit more sedate.

I live in the valleys, good road and rail links into the city.

Travelodge in Ebbw vale is next to the train station. Avoid Newport, its a shithole.
Depends on what you want really. Do you want the city life or do you want something a bit more sedate.
Definitely city life. I really don't do quiet, if you know what I mean. Maybe one day when (if) I have a family.

Definitely city life. I really don't do quiet, if you know what I mean. Maybe one day when (if) I have a family.
Avoid "The Big Sleep" it's pretty central but it's a real dive of a hotel. There's some hotels a bit further out that are a 10 minute taxi ride.

Depends on what you want to spend really. Cardiff bay is excellent but can be expensive.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Being a Swansea Jack it pains me to say, Cardiff is fucking awesome.

I generally visit every Easter (Pro 14 Rugby Judgement Day) and at least one of the Autumn Internationals. This year it's two matches. Wales / Scotland and Wales / Tonga. A bit of a twat to get there from East Anglia, but worth it.

People are a lot friendlier. But then I would say that because when I tend to visit, the city centre is generally flooded with 70,000 semi-drunk rugby fans all wearing the same shirt as me.

Avoid "The Big Sleep" it's pretty central but it's a real dive of a hotel. There's some hotels a bit further out that are a 10 minute taxi ride.

Depends on what you want to spend really. Cardiff bay is excellent but can be expensive.
Really don't know any of that at this point. Yet to have a meaningful convo with the firm. I just wanted to get an idea about the place, if it's a city which wouldn't be too bad to spend some time working in.

Work in Cardiff daily. Some nice places to eat, parking is a bitch and can get expensive.

Newport is "ok" Not so much a shithole if you're in the right area, but the town centre is dead on it's arrse and needed a lot more than friars walk to re-energise it.

Really don't know any of that at this point. Yet to have a meaningful convo with the firm. I just wanted to get an idea about the place, if it's a city which wouldn't be too bad to spend some time working in.
Cardiff is very nice. Good nightlife, good eating places, even a swamp donkey Jack like @TheresaMay could pull on a Friday night.

It's friendly, very little aggro in the city centre and access to the rest of Wales is pretty good.

Work in Cardiff daily. Some nice places to eat, parking is a bitch and can get expensive.

Newport is "ok" Not so much a shithole if you're in the right area, but the town centre is dead on it's arrse and needed a lot more than friars walk to re-energise it.
I don't think I will be doing any driving. I don't even have a car in the UK! The plan (if I do end up taking the position) is to train into Cardiff from London, stay a week or so (don't know where/ how yet) and f-off back to London. Or train in for a couple of days every other week instead of one long week in a month kind of thing.

The thing is I am spoilt by choice, stuff to do, friends etc in London, so would like to keep my stay in Cardiff to no more than a week or so/ month.

Let's see. Will have a better idea about it by Friday.

I don't think I will be doing any driving. I don't even have a car in the UK! The plan (if I do end up taking the position) is to train into Cardiff from London, stay a week or so (don't know where/ how yet) and f-off back to London. Or train in for a couple of days every other week instead of one long week in a month kind of thing.

The thing is I am spoilt by choice, stuff to do, friends etc in London, so would like to keep my stay in Cardiff to no more than a week or so/ month.

Let's see. Will have a better idea about it by Friday.
No vehicle......my God man and public transportation....it is a mind boggling concept....

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer