• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

So Brown says he did not cut any military funding then...

Cutting the RAF to pay for chinooks isnt a good idea in the long run is it?
And that picture, british troops in action? I'd hope not because he either has a scoped AK or a old stock dragunov, if its so bad we have to use those we reallya re in the shit...

IanCulverhouse said:
Or did he?

Clearly there were some rows behind the scenes.

http://www.channel4.com/news/article.jsp?id=3570457&time=125539
I read with interest the news of the Chinook pilot who had a lucky escape after "being shot between the eyes". The article then went on to say the Chinook had flown from the Atlantic Conveyor in 1982 just before it was sunk, ploughed into the sea at 100 knots on a later date, and some 28+ years later its still crawling its sorry ass through the skies....

How many lives does an airframe get before you have to get out your Govt chequebook and buy some more????

Mr_Bridger said:
IanCulverhouse said:
Or did he?

I read with interest the news of the Chinook pilot who had a lucky escape after "being shot between the eyes". The article then went on to say the Chinook had flown from the Atlantic Conveyor in 1982 just before it was sunk, ploughed into the sea at 100 knots on a later date, and some 28+ years later its still crawling its sorry ass through the skies....

How many lives does an airframe get before you have to get out your Govt chequebook and buy some more????
You mean like the Falklands airframes that had flown in Aden?

Brown lies as naturally as the rest of us breathe, like most bullies he is a liar, a coward and an incompetent whose actions have DIRECTLY resulted in preventable servicemens and womens deaths.

This man should be before the courts not an enquiry, at least then he could be sentenced for perjury.

I hope he dies of auto erotic asphxiation.

Mr_Bridger said:
If it's airworthy it's airworthy.

Point being more if we want to attack Brown, we need to come up with something a bit more solid. I saw an ex-colonel on BBC News 24 a couple of hours ago giving a really lame performance attacking Brown's inquiry evidence. He came across like a clueless whinger who wasn't at all sure what he wanted Brown to have done better.

Brown got off lightly. The ex-generals should have done a better job in making their case before today.

in_the_cheapseats said:
InVinoVeritas said:
I hope he dies of auto erotic asphxiation.
Nope - not by that method. There is a chance that he would have enjoyed himself before he signed off. He doesn't deserve that.... :D
Oh my mistake... I hope he is brutally and painfully murdered by Thompson and Venables who then stage his death to look like auto erotic asphyxiation... before killing themselves.

Mr_Bridger said:
IanCulverhouse said:
Or did he?

That would be ZA 718 Bravo November(N370058) been around since about 1980

"Defence budget increased".

This budget pays for a lot more than just equipment. The question is, what was the equipment budget after the insanity that is the raft of PFI contract payments and GiftAid to the likes of BAeS for their Nimrod overspends?

T

taffy01

I would have replied to this post from my place of work, but unfortunatley my PC was removed due to lack of military funding :D

How can they put the blame for crap equipment purely on the (then) Chancellor? Yes, he holds the purse strings but he wasn't responsible for the fact that all the stuff was utterly useless in the first place. Surely Guthrie et al hold some responsibility for presiding over a lack of capability? If you are CGS and you go to war, you can't really turn around and say "Oh, I forgot to mention, we aren't really capable of fighting a war, can we replace everything - starting tomorrow? Yeah I know it's our job to be ready to fight a war and we haven't mentioned anything until now but we've been too busy collecting our vast wage-packets, playing bridge and patronising the yanks about how great we are at counter-insurgency".

Yes, Brown's a cnut and I have no doubt that he was as harsh on defence spending as he was on every other area of public sector spending (which is true - would you prefer he cut education?), but our own leadership have been criminally negligent in waiting until it's too late and then demanding everything, before resigning in a huff and refusing to accept any responsibility. Luckily for them, their pension, coupled with lots of media deals on the eve of the general election is rather lucrative. Who would have thunk it? You simply can't blame Brown for the fact that the snatch was completely the wrong tool for the job. They didn't mention that sort of stuff when they were selling their vision of agile / light (i.e. smaller) forces. If they didn't know, then how do you expect a politician to know - he's a weasely politician, nothing more.

Even the way the tories have played this has been completely inadequate. They're useless! The way it's looking now, he's going to win the election. Great - more big brother nonsense.

Latest Threads