So, British Leyland...

....was it really this bad? Came across this video last weekend and wanted to get the opinion of those who actually had first hand opinion, since I am not from here. A lot of the U.S. cars were shit in the 70s and 80s but I personally don't have any experience with British cars apart from what I hear/ read online.

Was the reputation truly deserved?

Smokekit2.jpg

....was it really this bad? Came across this video last weekend and wanted to get the opinion of those who actually had first hand opinion, since I am not from here. A lot of the U.S. cars were shit in the 70s and 80s but I personally don't have any experience with British cars apart from what I hear/ read online.

Was the reputation truly deserved?

Pretty much yes, lucas electrics in particular are notoriously bad

Car build quality in particular was very hit and miss

llech

LE
They weren't as bad as everyone makes out, they were much ******* worse, that said Italian electrics are ******* dire.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Where would you start The Morris marina, Austin Allegro The metro_One of the few usable things they did was the mini and you could sort that out with minimal tools and tape. tHen there was the princess and the sd Rover.

Joe Lucas the prince of darkness.

British Leyland problems were that the workforce was not happy , meaning stuff never got built of painted correctly as they didnt give a toss . Ive heard stories of mgbs rusting as they were in storage waiting to be sold .
Also i get the impression the management were happy to rest on there laurels , churning out shit , oudated cars , not looking far enough ahead to stay competitive . I think they were making crap the like marina or ital when Vw had the golf out - light years ahead.
I dId some work experience at Rover and it was the same . All old miserable buggers slagging the place off , doing the bare minimum . I dont fault them though , the place was being run like it was the 1950s.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
British Leyland problems were that the workforce was not happy , meaning stuff never got built of painted correctly as they didnt give a toss . Ive heard stories of mgbs rusting as they were in storage waiting to be sold .
Also i get the impression the management were happy to rest on there laurels , churning out shit , oudated cars , not looking far enough ahead to stay competitive . I think they were making crap the like marina or ital when Vw had the golf out - light years ahead.
I dId some work experience at Rover and it was the same . All old miserable buggers slagging the place off , doing the bare minimum . I dont fault them though , the place was being run like it was the 1950s.
My brother was chuffed when he bought a Montego. I looked under the bonnet to find a 1275 engine. The thing had to be stalled to stop it, dealer never could fix it.

Bagpuss

Old-Salt
My first car was an Austin Maxi. It was free and I was only 18. A dog to look at but it was mechanically simple and I could do everything myself (especially the wheel bearings which I had to do at least twice a year.) 1750cc with twin carbs! The seats were also phenomally comfy and it was known as the sofa mobile.

I feel a little nostalgic about it but am under no illusions that it was shit - just like all Austin/Leyland cars.

I loathe all Metros with a passion, and thankfully they are so shit that there aren't many left. Have a gander at:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/austin_metro_city.

Nearly 150,000 of the ******* things littering our road just 19 years ago, now only 127 of the horrible ******* things to go. I want to build a giant wicker man and torch them in it.

C'mon Arrsers, rise up and help me rid this sceptred isle of this stain on our national engineering legacy.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My first new car was a Metro Diesel, other than using a pint of oil a week it was a cracking motor. Sold it at 78k miles, still same tyres on. I replaced it with a Toyota Corolla and thought I'd bought a Rolls Royce.

Latest Threads